Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-02-2013, 12:39 AM
LawnSite Member

kawasaki fx730v starter problems

I have 2 customers that i know of that there units starter solenoid clicks but engages the ring gear intermittently when one keeps turning start switch to crank the engine to start and run. even with new starter and new ignition switch battery is new and connections are good. my thoughts are that the starter drive is not messing the flywheel ring gear properly as both gears look good. as i feel the started drive gear is not engaging but is being stopped by the gears not going into gear until its bumped just few times or turned till it messes and then it cranks the engine an starts. this is a intermittent issue the solenoid clicks but starter does not run until the drive engages . I have searched this issue all over and have not found any results i know i cant be the only one with this issue . i have thought of machining the starter drive gear bevel a bit to see if this solves the issue. As i thought more research maybe done and see if there is a fix for this issue thanks everyone for any help or ideas as I still wait for Kawasaki tech support to respond to my requests as calling on the phone during work hours has resulted in long waits on hold and work must come first. That's why I am here on my own time at home researching this issue to solve for the customer and learn how to fix this issue ..
Old 10-02-2013, 06:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Your issue isn't with Kawi or any of the parts you replaced, But with the equipment manufacturer......

The problem is too much voltage drop in the wire from the ignition switch to the solenoid, Add a relay close to the starter on the machine frame. Run the ignition switch wire to the relay, Then run a 14ga wire from the relay to the solenoid, Power the relay off the battery cable post on the solenoid with 14ga wire. You should be golden after this install.

Deere and another OEM had the same issues and put together a relay kit......

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 10-02-2013, 07:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yup, exactly what Rob said. Make a relay that will pull 12volts directly from the battery to the small terminal on your starter, activated by the key switch. You need a typical relay and 4 wire pigtail to do this. To test our theory, run a 10ga wire with an aligator clip right to your starter (unplug the factory wire) and touch the other end to the positive battery terminal. Be careful when you do this as it will spark and the engine WILL turn over. I bet you it never skips a beat. If it does, you have a ground issue where your engine isn't getting a ground through starter.

P.s Rob, did'nt read your entire post before I posted. Sorry for a duplicate answer!!!
Old 10-02-2013, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpcut 1 View Post
P.s Rob, did'nt read your entire post before I posted. Sorry for a duplicate answer!!!

Ummm...... I'll letcha slide this time......

But...... No need for a relay pigtail, Insulated spade connectors work just fine and are cheaper too......

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 10-08-2013, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Member

A great big thanks guys

I like to give you guys a big thanks as the start relay on this mower had a burnished points inside the relay but a new relay did not correct the problem as I took the advice added a relay to the system used 10gage wire overkill but its on a commercial unit so what the heck. I wired it direct to the battery with a 20 amp fuse for the power connection a then 10 gage to the starter an used existing starter wire to engage the relay leaving all the safety switches to do there job. the starter cranked every time no more clicking yeah. thanks again AC7BF Frankie
Old 10-08-2013, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Good Deal !!!