Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-01-2013, 10:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Problem with 1000s of ground bees

I have been asked to deal with a Pussywillow tree on the corner of a lot our church owns, apparently the neighbor that lives next to this unoccupied house, is having a new fence installed, and they cannot do this until this tree is either removed or the bee problem dealt with.

I was over there last night and have never seen so many of these ground bees at one time, they seem to be attracted to the Pussywillow tree, as they were all over the tree, branches, and leaves, and due to the overgrown ground cover near the tree, we cannot find all the holes leading to these bees nests.

The church and neighbor want the tree cut down, because it has gotten out of control and grown onto their property, and into the fence, but Im not about to bring in a chainsaw until the bees are gone! I have emailed the local cooperative extension office here, and waiting for a response, but I was hoping I could get some good advice on here too.

Im thinking that since the bees seem to be attracted to this tree, once we remove it, all these bees will no longer want to nest around here. So Im basically looking for a way to cut this tree down and what to do with the bees while Im doing this, I initially thought of smoking or fogging, so they are not as active, or do it either very early morning or very late at night.

Thanks for any suggestions on this problem. I apologize if I have not posted this in the correct board.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Problem with 1000s of ground bees

Just a FYI. Doing it in morning or night doesn't help. I tried digging out a best at my house at night thinking they were sleeping. I don't think they are too heavy of sleepers cause they were guns a blazin when I went in to dig. I would recommend contacting a local bee or insect professional and get their opinion on how to be as safe as u can.

Doesn't matter what kind of equipment you run as long as you get the job done correctly and up to par.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Any chance you can wait for colder weather?
Old 10-02-2013, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

If the bees are all over the tree, they may be honey bees that went astray. I would determine what kind of bees they are first. Yellow jackets live and nest a certain way as do white faced hornets. We have some large and small bumble bees that live in the ground just like yellow jackets.