Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-08-2013, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Injured Zoysia From Ornamec Over The Top

Hi. I used Ornamec Over The Top on my Zeon Zoysia on July 1st (today's date is 8-8-13) and I still have injured brown patches of Zoysia where I spot treated. I used the lower rate of application because it was mid summer hoping to avoid phytotoxicity. I live in Zone 7b in the Piedmont in NC and I have irrigation. I don't think my turf is permanently damaged, but it is very slow in recovering. If I rake around in the brown patches, I can see green Zoysia stolons. My question is, can I apply a starter fertilizer to the brown patches and stimulate their repair? I've definitely learned my lesson and will only use Ornamec in the early spring and just before dormancy. Thanks in advance for your answers.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Use milorganite, this will provide beneficial nutrients for recovery for several months. You should apply a 1-0-1 ratio fertilizer (15-0-15, or any equal N to K ratios), 8-10-10 if you are allowed to apply P in your area. The fertilizer application should be applied two weeks after milorganite is applied. Do not mow for 10 days after milorganite app. Irritate as needed. Do not expect desired results for 3-4 weeks.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mow-N-Maniac View Post
Hi. I used Ornamec Over The Top on my Zeon Zoysia on July 1st (today's date is 8-8-13) and I still have injured brown patches of Zoysia where I spot treated. I used the lower rate of application because it was mid summer hoping to avoid phytotoxicity. I live in Zone 7b in the Piedmont in NC and I have irrigation. I don't think my turf is permanently damaged, but it is very slow in recovering. If I rake around in the brown patches, I can see green Zoysia stolons. My question is, can I apply a starter fertilizer to the brown patches and stimulate their repair? I've definitely learned my lesson and will only use Ornamec in the early spring and just before dormancy. Thanks in advance for your answers.
Why did you use fluazifop on zoysia to begin with?
even at the 0.4 oz per gallon rate......the damage to zoysia is critical.

Zoysia species is real slow to repair from any herbicide injury....especially a systemic acting product. Using the organic approach followed by fertilizer will jump start new growth, but until the fluazifop butyl works itself out....it will be next season before anything significant will resume.
Old 10-03-2013, 02:46 AM
LawnSite Member

The label says it isn't harmful to zoysia grass.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Fusilade or Ornamec have a very narrow safety margin when applied to zoysia. When the label says 4 oz per acre, they mean it. If you are applying it solo, without triclopyr to safen it, it is even hotter. A zoysia lawn not on irrigation and thatchy because it is not cut with a reel is even more sensitive. Spot spraying through your normal backpack or hand sprayer with the stock adjustable nozzle is capable of applying an 8x overdose very easily. Let me explain: If someone adds the suggested rate to treat 1000 sq ft to a gallon and dispenses it through a backpack sprayer, he can apply up to 8 gallons of solution to 1000 sq ft. Even if the error applies 3 gallons or 4 gallons to 1000 sq ft, that is still too much. Fluzafop is to be applied at a set dosage per area covered. If you only covered 100 or so sq ft with a solution intended to treat 1000 sq ft. There will be a problem. An 8 x overage is the rate to remove all grasses from areas intended to be shrubs or ground covers. My idea of a "spot treatment" consists of a fixed output AI nozzle on the end of a wand fitted with a regulator to monitor and limit pressure. This apparatus is used by triggering the wand when walking past a patch of weeds at approximately 2 MPH. The nozzle and pressure is match to apply the equivalent of 1 gallon per 1000 sq ft.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 10-03-2013, 03:47 AM
LawnSite Member

Awesome information greendoctor! I appreciate it!
Old 10-03-2013, 04:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

This is why many herbicides are labeled for use on sod farms and golf courses only. It is more likely that a sod farm or golf course will use a calibrated boom sprayer. Chemlawn nozzles or the adjustable tip on backpack sprayers as what most lawn people use does not meet the standards of accuracy to apply so that injury is minimized and product efficacy is maximized. I use a hand held 3 nozzle boom to apply a set volume on my lawns.

Old 10-03-2013, 10:51 AM
LawnSite Member

I got the Ornamec at my local John Deere supplier. The salesperson said that I shouldn't have a problem; but even mixing it at the recommended rate for Bermuda grass in Zoysia, it was injured. I have the regular 2 gallon pump sprayer made for a do-it-yourself homeowner. I just divided down to obtain the correct (or so I thought) amounts of product and surfactant. Since I definitely mixed it too rich, what ratio would you recommend for the 2 gallon sprayer? Or would you just recommend not even using that sprayer? Plus, (I'm going to tell on myself, because I'm a homeowner, what do I know, right? ) I also mixed up some in a 32oz spray bottle to use as well.
Old 10-04-2013, 03:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

If someone is using a regular sprayer, rate per gallon is 1/8th of what is indicated for 1000 sq ft. Believe it or not, a single spray from a spray bottle is less of an overdose than that from a pump up sprayer.

Tags
damaged turf , ornamec , phytotoxicity , zoysia