Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-17-2013, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

kawasaki fx600v

I just got notice today from my dealer that kawasaki was going to replace my blown defective 502 hr engine under warranty but I would need to pay $500 because the person to last service mower used a Briggs oil filter. The total engine replacement cost would have been $2100. Should I be happy with this outcome or raise hell?
Old 10-17-2013, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayslandscape View Post
I just got notice today from my dealer that kawasaki was going to replace my blown defective 502 hr engine under warranty but I would need to pay $500 because the person to last service mower used a Briggs oil filter. The total engine replacement cost would have been $2100. Should I be happy with this outcome or raise hell?
What was "defective" about the engine to begin with?

What is the DOP of the mower/engine?

IF there is a known issue with your specific engine and there are TSB's on the failure that your engine had, then there usually isn't many questions about it being covered, provided that the unit has been maintained and you are the original purchaser and it is still within the warranty period.

However, if the engine is out of the warranty period then it is all up to Kawasaki if they will "help" any or at all. I have had several that were out of the warranty period, but the failure on the customers engines were a know issue with TSB's on them... In those cases, Kawasaki agreed to pay for "parts" (in most cases a complete engine) and the customer pays the freight and labor costs.

IF the unit is used commercially and is out of the warranty period, most OEM's won't do much for the obvious reason that you are making money with the unit... Not saying that I agree completely with that, but I don't make the rules, I just play by them.

As a general rule, Kawasaki would have to prove that the B&S oil filter caused the failure for them to deny coverage.

How very observant of you there captain obvious.

The amount of FREE information that you receive here will be directly proportional to the amount of information that you provide!
Old 10-17-2013, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff in AL View Post
I have had several that were out of the warranty period, but the failure on the customers engines were a know issue with TSB's on them... In those cases, Kawasaki agreed to pay for "parts" (in most cases a complete engine) and the customer pays the freight and labor costs.

Jeff,

Did you charge these customer's 500 bux for freight and maybe 2 hrs labor to install ?

If this is the OP's case...... He sure is get'n hosed......

I'd like to see anyone prove another OEM's filter caused a failure being used on a different brand engine......
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannsLawnService View Post
some times the man in my mirror isn't so smart...
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 10-17-2013, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrorob View Post
Jeff,

Did you charge these customer's 500 bux for freight and maybe 2 hrs labor to install ?

If this is the OP's case...... He sure is get'n hosed......

I'd like to see anyone prove another OEM's filter caused a failure being used on a different brand engine......
Restro,

The last one I did is this one: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=413746

I tore the #2 cylinder head off with engine still mounted to determine cause/fault.

Then talked to Kawasaki and they agreed to pay for "parts" (a complete engine, approx $2500.00) if the customer would pay labor, freight and any misc. charges.

So the customer paid for the teardown time, the R&R of the engine and freight, and their total bill was like $425.00 ish if I recall correctly. On top of that, this engine was nearly a year out of warranty!

I would like to know a bit more about the failure of the OP's engine here though... I highly doubt a B&S oil filter was the cause... But I can see an OEM try to go that way.

How very observant of you there captain obvious.

The amount of FREE information that you receive here will be directly proportional to the amount of information that you provide!