Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-06-2003, 05:26 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Thought I'd throw this in here, but my eXmark dealer's prices have only about $100 difference between fixed and floating deck gear drive walk behinds (fixed deck- Metro, floating deck- Metro HP). Didn't price hydros, but for $100 extra I would spend it on a floater no matter the size because of the fact that you don't need to be right at the trailer to change the height of cut. I have a fixed deck 52" Scag (hydro) and I set the height at the highest in back and moved it around on the casters to each spot and measured and it maintains the same pitch in pretty much every setting. My blades only have one spacer above them so maybe it varies alittle if you have say 4 spacers above the blades. Its hard to explain the physics of it, but a fixed deck doesn't lose as much pitch as you might think when changing caster heights, because of the pivot points. I can't explain it.
Old 03-06-2003, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Oh yea, your fixed decks will not do good around exposed tree roots. The floater goes right around/over them.
Old 03-06-2003, 05:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Fixed or Floated

I would definitely spend the extra money for the floating deck. I have used both but the floating deck seems to be better for all around conditions.

"Nothing Runs Like A Deere"
Old 03-06-2003, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'd say go for the floater, especially because of the ease of changing the deck height.
Old 03-06-2003, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the info!! Now I need to go see my local exmark dealer, and compare cost fixed and floating. But I'am sure about the hydro. Thanks again

Rob
Old 03-19-2003, 08:07 PM
LawnSite Member

New to the site. What do you guys think, I'm looking at an exmark metro 36" would you go with the standard grip fixed deck with the kohler 15hp single cylinder, or for $500 more I can get the floating deck 36" with the Kawasaki V-Twin 15hp with the ECS grips. Both mowers are gear drive. What do you guy's think? Thanks for the response.
Old 03-19-2003, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Jeda, I'm not sure, but the salesman told me the difference in decks is about $400.

WJB, for something you earn money with, I think spending $500 more for more power and easier height adjustment, plus a little better cut on rolling terrain is money well spent.
Old 03-30-2003, 02:16 AM
LawnSite Member

Well, after several hours on Lawnsite, talking to others that mow, and checking out lawns in my area, I've decided to get the 48'' mower. It is an exmark tthp 48", 2x velke, 17hp kaw., electric start. Stihl fc85 edger, fc80 trimmer, and a 16' trailer.

Mowed my own yard (2 acres) yesterday, and was well pleased with the performance. I know it's kinda small for my yard, hope to pick up a ZTR next year. But should work out for now untill the biz grows more.( alot more LOL)

Also have the insurance taken care of, the shirts and business cards are on order, Now all I need is some grass to cut.

Anyway thanks for all the help, and info.

Rob