Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-11-2013, 11:15 AM
LawnSite Member

EDDM Experiences

I have been going back and forth with doing EDDM.
I am wondering a few things.

1) What are people's experiences with EDDM?

2) Who did you use for printing services?

I have been trying to find someone to print everything so they will fit EDDM standards, but I am finding it difficult. I found one website that will print everything and send them to the post office, but I have not found any reviews for them. I was looking into vistaprint but none of their measurements match the requirements. Though I can do fliers, but I want to send those out. SO, I am looking for some guidance on this as this is my first endeavor in EDDM.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:34 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes im interested to hear also, just send out 9,500 of them 3 days ago and have got 2 calls, although not sure if they all go out at once, since the post office is government run wouldn't be surprised if they take weeks to go out.
Do you get all the calls that day and then nothing, or is it spread out over a period of time?

The person who did mine was plan-it graphics. It was the cheapest price I could find. $925 total for design, bundling, delivery and printing- for 10,000 flyers. It was good except the bundles were made out of thin brown paper strips and 30% of them broke and I had to bundle by hand.

I only used EDDM because the houses I wanted to reach were gated or just very far apart- they are a lot of 1 - 3 acre properties there. Especially with long driveways, don't feel comfortable entering their property to place something on their door.
Bob at Plan-it graphics told me the success rate was .25% - .5% for EDDM. (not 25%- 50%)
He said 1% - 3% for door hangers. So I will do those in the future since they are also almost half the price for printing.
I hope I get atleast 100 more calls from these 9,500 flyers.

Last edited by recycledsole; 10-11-2013 at 11:43 AM.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Who did you go through? A local printer? Or someone online? Or did you do it all yourself?
Old 10-11-2013, 11:41 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkirtsnDirtLLC View Post
Who did you go through? A local printer? Or someone online? Or did you do it all yourself?
http://plan-itgraphics.com/

It looked very commercial. Which I wanted to try to see what results I got.
Next time I will design my own, like I have with all my flyers, logo, etc...
Old 10-11-2013, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledsole View Post
Yes im interested to hear also, just send out 9,500 of them 3 days ago and have got 2 calls, although not sure if they all go out at once, since the post office is government run wouldn't be surprised if they take weeks to go out.
Do you get all the calls that day and then nothing, or is it spread out over a period of time?

The person who did mine was plan-it graphics. It was the cheapest price I could find. $925 total for design, bundling, delivery and printing- for 10,000 flyers. It was good except the bundles were made out of thin brown paper strips and 30% of them broke and I had to bundle by hand.

I only used EDDM because the houses I wanted to reach were gated or just very far apart- they are a lot of 1 - 3 acre properties there. Especially with long driveways, don't feel comfortable entering their property to place something on their door.
Bob at Plan-it graphics told me the success rate was .25% - .5% for EDDM. (not 25%- 50%)
He said 1% - 3% for door hangers. So I will do those in the future since they are also almost half the price for printing.
I hope I get atleast 100 more calls from these 9,500 flyers.
I agree, Call Bob and he will explain the entire process with you. He is a great guy to deal with and between his excellent work and EDDM my business was booming this year! I agree on the bundling issue so what I did was buy a package of elastics and use them to hold the bundles together. I would do direct mail again in a heartbeat! Good luck!
Old 10-11-2013, 12:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold Leaf Lawnscapes View Post
I agree, Call Bob and he will explain the entire process with you. He is a great guy to deal with and between his excellent work and EDDM my business was booming this year! I agree on the bundling issue so what I did was buy a package of elastics and use them to hold the bundles together. I would do direct mail again in a heartbeat! Good luck!
can you tell us about how your ROI % was and how long it took for them to call?
thanks
Old 10-11-2013, 12:30 PM
LawnSite Member

I was close to .5% ROI and a majority of the calls started between 1 and 2 weeks of the scheduled delivery date. I had planned on doing another this fall to pick up cleanups and get my curbside leaf pickups rolling, but this spring mailing got me so busy that I am going to hold off until next year to try it. The big thing I learned was that once you get work from the postcards and neighbors begin to notice you, that becomes added work as a result of the postcards. What I like over the door hanger concept is you don't have to spend the time going door to door. For a smaller ROI you do WAY less work and like I said you end up with extra work from the cards anyways.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

EDDM HOW TO:

1) Check out https://eddm.usps.com/eddm/customer/routeSearch.action to get a feel for where you want to target

2) Design or have your post cards designed. Must be 6.5" X 9" and have the retail EDDM indicas on them. (seen here [mid page] in blue text "acceptable every door direct mail - retail" : https://www.usps.com/business/pdf/qu...ence-guide.pdf)

3) Have flyers printed and pick them up or have them mailed to you.

4) Register free and then select your routes on https://eddm.usps.com/eddm/customer/routeSearch.action . You can enter the zip codes and select the mailing routes (50-600 houses usually.) If you only want to target residential select residential only at the top. You can only select 5000 at a time.

5) Click next and go through the steps and pay online or at the PO - You can only pay for 5,000 per day online. You can only pay by check, or cash at the PO

6) Once you pay print out all route paperwork. For each bundle you need a 'facing slip' that tells the date, route number, number of flyers on each individual bundle and number of bundles for that route. The average route for me had 3 full bundles and 1 partial bundle. Means, if there are 365 houses on a route you will have 3 100 count bundles and 1 65 count bundle.

6a) Print out 1 facing slip for each 100 ct bundle. For 5,000 flyers this should be around 50 facing slips. It will give you the option to 'print all paperwork now' but you will have to make copies of each facing slip since they only print 1 out per route. What I did was printed exactly what I needed (usually 4 per route) and put them all in print que and filled them out as they printed. For me printing 4 copies out at once was faster than making 4 copies of each facing slip. Print out everything else it says to on that page (2 more pages- receipt and route list)

7) Attatch filled out facing slips to bundled flyers.

8) Take everything to the right post office location (not just any post office).
8a) Bring 1 bundle inside the post office with you. Present them with the receipt you printed out and they'll ask for 1 individual flyer to weigh it. After they take care of the paperwork / computer work bring all the flyers inside. You can bring them in one big box or whatever is easier for you. One post office asked me to put each route (I had 14 routes) in 1 mail tote each. Another post office just had me put them all in one of their huge wheeled containers.

*notes: Some post offices may be ignorant of how EDDM works. The first one I went to a year ago didn't know anything about it. The last 2 ones I went to are in very wealthy zip codes, so they probably get targeted often and thus know how to do it correctly.
*Thanks for DLONGLANDSCAPING for instructing on how to do this.
Feel free to PM me or ask questions if you need help.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold Leaf Lawnscapes View Post
I was close to .5% ROI and a majority of the calls started between 1 and 2 weeks of the scheduled delivery date. I had planned on doing another this fall to pick up cleanups and get my curbside leaf pickups rolling, but this spring mailing got me so busy that I am going to hold off until next year to try it. The big thing I learned was that once you get work from the postcards and neighbors begin to notice you, that becomes added work as a result of the postcards. What I like over the door hanger concept is you don't have to spend the time going door to door. For a smaller ROI you do WAY less work and like I said you end up with extra work from the cards anyways.
Yea, id rather pay $400 instead of $800, and pay someone 15 cents per flyer to pass them out and get a higher ROI. basically half price, more ROI, less pollution as well.
Old 10-11-2013, 02:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledsole View Post
Yea, id rather pay $400 instead of $800, and pay someone 15 cents per flyer to pass them out and get a higher ROI. basically half price, more ROI, less pollution as well.
Bingo.

I toyed with EEDM for about a year now. I have/had a hard time trying to justify the cost and wonder if they were actually being passed out considering every once in a while I don't get any mail (which I know is impossible).

I have a guy who will hand out 10K postcards at .13 cents each for me next year. He has a 2 week deadline and he will know where to go to hand them out. At least this way my ROI is higher and I know they are being passed out.

Check your area for companies on craigslist who hand out flyers and postcards.