Register free!

Old 10-05-2013, 10:04 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

1.25" poly main lines, pvc (glued) manifolds, 1" zone lines.

I have seen 2" pvc used in large/commerical jobs but never in a 1" situation. Zone lines are poly even in the large systems.

Instead of using the blazing saddles, dawn has a orange saddle that wraps the pipe and is similiar to the balzing but far superior in reducing root growth/splitting of a saddle.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-05-2013, 10:46 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by djagusch View Post
Instead of using the blazing saddles, dawn has a orange saddle that wraps the pipe and is similiar to the balzing but far superior in reducing root growth/splitting of a saddle.
I am interested how it is far superior and how it reduces root growth. Can you give details for each product and explain why?
Old 10-05-2013, 01:11 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
I am interested how it is far superior and how it reduces root growth. Can you give details for each product and explain why?
On the Yellow Blazing saddle the back side which clips together has more/larger holes that roots grow through. The roots grow/expand and break the saddle. I have seen this on installs less then 5 yrs old.

On the Orange Dawn saddle it wraps around the back side of the pipe. It is smooth with the pipe and reduces area/risk of a root growing into the joint and breaking it. The other thing is that it completely wraps the pipe and is held together by threads (thicker plastic) instead of a flexible plastic snap joint.

I hired a 10yr experienced installer this year and swore by the blazing saddles. After making him use the orange dawn's on the first install he was a believer in them also. Just needed to get use to them.

The far superior part comes just from they will hold up to roots and wraps the pipe completely.
Old 10-05-2013, 05:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTurf View Post
I'm in the deep south and I've never seen poly used but I'm curious. When you say "true poly territory" at what point north do you consider poly country?
I use the phrase "true poly country" to signify where the distributors bring in poly by the trailer loads. They don't bring in crap poly, because it would hurt them big-time. I use the standard 100 psi poly tubing for both mainlines (when supply pressure is below 100 psi) and laterals, and no worries.

Outside of "true poly country" puts you more at risk of distributor inexperience at bringing in quality product, especially if they sell "utility grade" non-NSF tubing, which is a crap-shoot if you don't know the manufacturers.
Old 10-05-2013, 05:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i think i'm almost right on the dividing line. north jersey is all poly, but i've recently been doing a job down in camden county and needed some 1.25" poly. i called the central branch down there and he said all he had was 1 roll of silverline, and it was from last year.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

A lot of guys working in the sandy soil down there like the PVC. I usually only encountered it come repair time, when an entire 20-foot length of cheesy class pipe would be split the entire way.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Here in mass I have never worked on a PVC system . All poly.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-05-2013, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING View Post
Here in mass I have never worked on a PVC system . All poly.
Posted via Mobile Device
my point exactly...even the mainlines, all poly?

i've spoken with a contractor in the NorthEast specifically about an all poly system (main and lateral lines) and he seems to be a great contractor, but obviously i have never actually seen his systems...he said he has never had a problem...obviously all systems in a freezing climate get blown out before a freeze, so not a freezing issue here...only issue would be a main line being able to hold the pressure (so a master valve is necessary)...the other option is to install a pressure regulator on a poly system to make sure it doesn't exceed 75 psi...

just to clarify, there is NO system that is supposed to operate exceeding 75 psi on a 1" residential, poly OR pvc...heads are the main concern

around here, i have seen 40 psi on the East side of town, all the way to 117 psi on the central to West side of town
Old 10-05-2013, 07:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you have 117 static pressure, and don't want to employ pressure regulation, then it would make sense to upgrade the mainline to 125 psi poly. Or, you could employ a pressure-regulating master valve instead, because it may cost less than upgraded mainline poly. Obviously, any spring losses in a backflow preventer will subtract from the static pressure seen at the master valve. I love high supply pressures when they help get the watering completed in a limited time window, and the valve designs of today with supported diaphragms tolerate high pressures better.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
If you have 117 static pressure, and don't want to employ pressure regulation, then it would make sense to upgrade the mainline to 125 psi poly. Or, you could employ a pressure-regulating master valve instead, because it may cost less than upgraded mainline poly. Obviously, any spring losses in a backflow preventer will subtract from the static pressure seen at the master valve. I love high supply pressures when they help get the watering completed in a limited time window, and the valve designs of today with supported diaphragms tolerate high pressures better.
which brings up another point...systems aren't designed to operate on 117 psi...even the master valve would get worn out pre maturely, which is basically what you are saying

it would be best to have a pressure regulator at the very beginning of the system, therefore nothing gets worn out more than the other components, which is back to my main point, the best way to install a system using PVC or poly

i think the additional cost of properly installing a good system as opposed to a cut corner/cheaper system is minimal, especially in the long run...

i'm starting to lean towards poly, as a whole...i just figured i would bring it up to see what most of the main guys on here, who have a lot of experience, prefer installing...the help has been greatly appreciated