Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-11-2013, 06:45 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

How do you guys handle the issue of a customer possibly turning the main valve back on before startup, then back off and then blaming damage on a bad blowout?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-11-2013, 06:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbailey52 View Post
How do you guys handle the issue of a customer possibly turning the main valve back on before startup, then back off and then blaming damage on a bad blowout?
Posted via Mobile Device
Simply explain to them that the only way water could have gotten in there is if there interior ball valve is shot. With the prospect of spending more money in their face they will fess up.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
We've had a few like that, and I told them either the water was turned back on or the handle is worn out (Usually an old gate valve). I've lost a couple customers because of it, not believing me. I argued with one guy this spring
"Jeff, do you remember standing here with me, talking to me while it blew out?"
"Yes"
"So you saw all the water blowing out"
"Yes"
"And you still think it's my fault?"
"Yes"

It was only a bonnet, so I took care of it. Blew out the system the other day, and noted that nothing would be covered if there is damage.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI Inc View Post
The customers on the a list leave a message like this " Hello Steve , this is Bill Johnson from 1234 main st westford MA . My water is off , my garage door code is 0000 enter . I don't need a call back but if you need to reach me my # is 978 555-5555."
I get some like that too. "Hey Dana, water is off, take care of it when you can. Send a bill. Thanks" Love those ones.
I know I'm stereotyping, but it seems like lil old ladies, and single moms, are the ones that usually do not know how to turn the water off inside the house. Even after I have shown them 5 years in a row. I think some of them just want some company, and feel alone. I've really been trying to engage more customers in conversation lately, either on the phone or at the house, instead of acting like they are just another number on the list.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:42 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

For those customers that turn the water off themselves, how do you handle the clock? Just tell them to unplug it?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-11-2013, 08:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
For those customers that turn the water off themselves, how do you handle the clock? Just tell them to unplug it?
Posted via Mobile Device
I try to tell them to turn it off, but hope that they just understand to do it without me telling them. If it stays on, oh well. There is the debate that solenoids will heat up and short out without water, but honestly during the winter the air and ground are cold as well. Solenoids short out, it may or may not be related to the controller being left on.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I really want to get to zip tying all of our ballvalves..

anyone want to show some pics of how they zip tie handles shut? I'd love to see them...I've done it a few times just to try but is there a way to 100% know if they broke the zip tie? do you mark them ect?
some old guy tried to say I didn't drain his bf and his copper pipe broke...BUT i did drain it.. my boss will not lose a customer on this one and will always blame the service tech....

eh...
Old 10-11-2013, 05:09 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

duct tape...
Old 10-11-2013, 05:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Don't forget to re-activate rain sensors.

If your compressor doesn't have a built in PRV.. Buy one and attach it to the hose adapater! Regulate that!
Old 10-11-2013, 06:00 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchgo View Post
Don't forget to re-activate rain sensors.

If your compressor doesn't have a built in PRV.. Buy one and attach it to the hose adapater! Regulate that!
Pull the tops off wired and remove wireless rain sensors , store them indoors. All compressors have a regulator, know how to use it.