Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-05-2013, 12:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Watered at wrong time and would shut off ?

One of my clients has a Rainbird ESP unit. She said it came on the other day at 11 o'clock instead of 8 o'clock and stayed on for an hour. It also has the Rainbird WR2 wireless sensor on it. Which might not of had anything to do with it. but just in case I'm letting you know that information as well. Anyone have any ideas on why would've done this?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-05-2013, 01:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
One of my clients has a Rainbird ESP unit. She said it came on the other day at 11 o'clock instead of 8 o'clock and stayed on for an hour. It also has the Rainbird WR2 wireless sensor on it. Which might not of had anything to do with it. but just in case I'm letting you know that information as well. Anyone have any ideas on why would've done this?
Posted via Mobile Device
If it came on for an hour and shut off, there are three options.
1. Someone messed with the controller and set a start time for just that zone for one hour only on a separate program
2. Controller is acting up due to lightning and entered it's own phantom program
3. The zone valve is failing, opened up for an hour, and somehow turned back off

usually it is option 1.
Old 10-05-2013, 03:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

2nd on option 1
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-05-2013, 06:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i also would say option 1, user error...but that doesn't necessarily mean someone messed with it...

not enough info here...did you actually go take a look at the clock and everything seemed normal? or did they call and simply give you the details? how long is the entire run time? each zone? if the power went out for 3 hours, and only had an hour run time overall, then that would be a perfectly good explanation...

it could also have multiple run times on separate days..sometimes when setting the clock, a few things can get overlooked, especially when in a hurry...

did the same zone run for 1 hour? or multiple zones?

Last edited by jbell36; 10-05-2013 at 06:06 PM.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Option one.....how many times i myself when setting up sod or overseeding, then backing off on watering and omit to erase a start time.....plenty of times.....then there's the homeowner who thinks because there are 3 valves, three different start times.....

Now food for thought, if the programmer selected it, on that brand is there not a pre-program in there also.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusbuster View Post
Option one.....how many times i myself when setting up sod or overseeding, then backing off on watering and omit to erase a start time.....plenty of times.....then there's the homeowner who thinks because there are 3 valves, three different start times.....

Now food for thought, if the programmer selected it, on that brand is there not a pre-program in there also.
i'm right there with you...it's to the point now that i go through the whole controller, starting with the date and time, and just double check every single dial/setting...not only do i, but most other companies in my area install hunter pro-c's, i'm getting to the point where i know that controller with my eyes closed

when the homeowner tries to set a clock, they ALWAYS set the start times thinking they are for each valve...pro-c's are in 15 minute increments, so they will start it at say 8, then they think the next start time is for valve #2, so that one will be at 8:15, then they think valve #3 would be at 8:30, and so on...it's worse when someone installed a commercial controller on a residential system with up to 8 start times...what they dont realize is their system is starting over every 15 minutes, but they see water so they think it is working correctly

Last edited by jbell36; 10-06-2013 at 12:44 PM.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by txirrigation View Post
2nd on option 1
Posted via Mobile Device
3rd ............