Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-06-2013, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
Yep this is pretty much the case with residential s nowadays, it makes for a really hard sell. Commercials pretty much expect it, but not the residential market these days. That's almost always one of the first questions I get ask on estimates, DO YOU HAVE CONTRACTS? I'M NOT SIGNING A CONTRACT! I even tried the service agreement thing for awhile, even that was a bit hard to sell.
I think those are the ones you want to avoid. if they arnt willing to put into writing that they are able to pay you, chances are they arnt willing to pay you

that said my contract states anyone can get out of it at any time. when i tell them that they don't mind the contract.

but i have seen several times, the ones that wont sign, dont pay
Old 10-06-2013, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Bird I get ya! and I agree, how many cuts do you do before they are due to pay, I invoice and allow two weeks for payment, before services are suspended, if they are weekly account that's two weeks of free services if they decide not to pay contract or not! Honestly contracts are pretty useless in this industry! there's no real way to enforce them. I've taken quite few to small claims court but have yet to see a dime of my money. Even the high end resi's steer away from contracts these days!

Last edited by cpllawncare; 10-06-2013 at 08:54 PM.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't see anything wrong with billing hedge trimming that way as long as he puts something in there in writing stating that there is an extra charge for overgrown shrubs.. That is what i do now. if they hold off all year because they say they want to do it themselves and then they never get around to it then they will get a new price if they want me to handle the overgrown shrubs. I'm hoping to figure out some type of monthly billing system for next year, kinda afraid i'll get screwed over in the end though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandscapeSavannah View Post
I do not see how you can set a price for the hedge trimming and remain true to that whenever they request it? What if they request it a year later? We factor all this into monthly payments in the case that everything is included. Trimming will be included all year but half the time it is never needed. I'm just coming from a stand point of someone trying to hold you to that price you gave them forever ago.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP Landscaping View Post
Actually besides the op's spelling yeah it's pretty easy to understand
How about per visit or per service?
Old 10-06-2013, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronmg View Post
How about per visit or per service?
No real need for a per service contract!
Old 10-06-2013, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

changes occurrence to visit
Old 10-06-2013, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
No real need for a per service contract!
my per service stil gets billed monthly

the bill is based on number of times serviced. vs monthly they get the same bill no matter the number of tiems serviced
Old 10-06-2013, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronmg View Post
Looks good except a few things I personally would change. Change Chose to either choose or chosen. Name of credit card holder should be included. I'm a little confused about the as needed part of mowing,but then you give them the option of weekly or bi-weekly?
wife said the same thing. i just don't have room for it in this design.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootytalbot View Post
Does it have a clause that says if any part of the contract is found "not enforceable" the rest remains in force.
yes

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I PMed you about the agreement I have. Note I am changing a few things over the winter, to close a few loop holes I have found in mine. I have used mine for three years now, and every job I present it to (all residential, I type up specific commercial agreements) have signed it with no issue.

Mine mentions in several places that it can be cancelled at any time for any reason by either party, with 7 days notice. If they call and tell me to stop, im done, but I provide that clause, saying I will give you a weeks notice before I drop you as a client.

Dont worry about one page. Mine is front and back of my carbon copies, with a service description page that goes into more detail about the services.

Front page is a form of sort with all the services listed, a place for them to initial, a place for the price and frequency of charge (weekly, bi weekly, per visit (I name how many times Im pruning the shrubs (two or three per year), a place for each of us to sign, with the cancellation clause in bold, and a statement agreeing to payment terms on the back.

I find it easier to sell with my contract handed to them, and an offer to call me back to let me know. Never pressure them to decide before you leave (though most have when you show up with a price)

www.Outdoors-Unlimited.net

www.facebook.com/Outdoors.Unlimited