Register free!

Old 08-28-2000, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Just curious if Iím in line with my warrenty that I give my clients. I back up my work on anything I do when I recommend something.

Lanscaping wise, all I do is small residential sod, automatic sprinkler systems and drip systems. Most of the lawns I do are under 1,000 square feet. I tell my client as long as they follow my instructions, I will warrant my work for 1 year. On sod jobs only, there is no warrenty.

I guess Iím doing something right. I havenít been called back to do a replacement yet.
John
Old 08-29-2000, 12:23 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll warranty hardscapes but I don't offer one for the plantings or grass. There's no way to know if the customer followed the directions you gave them, and my experience has shown that customers are good for a week or so, and then they get lazy. Luckily the weather has cooperated for me in those cases. Now if the bid specs require it or a customer requests one, I tack on a premium just in case I do have to go back. So far I've only had to replace 1 bush & 1 tree out of 450+ with a warranty, in 4 years. That's been a good bet so far.
Old 08-29-2000, 08:54 AM
LawnSite Member

Brl hit it on the head. There is no way to know how customer will treat new grass or shrubs. I have had customers call me back to say grass is dying and I did not install it right , sprinkler not covering, etc. I immediately went there and sure enough it was dying. I installed this job in early spring (March) This was July. Went to check out controller and they had not adjusted the time since I left it. After I noticed this I explained to them that times need to be adjusted to conditions. Think they thought I was giving them a line. Went back 2 weeks later to check on it and things looked great. This is just one example on a long list of em. These are not stupid eople they just don't understand what things need to grow. Also have a lot of customers that complain about water bill. They can either have green grass or a low water bill.
Old 08-29-2000, 11:15 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Earthworks and brl

I take it that neither one of you guys do maintenance?? Are you guys strictly landscaping?

I don't have a problem backing up my work because I'm able to keep an eye through that time.
John
Old 08-29-2000, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I warrant hardscapes for 2 years (most in my market warrant for one).

Softscapes I warrant for 1 year (same as competition in this market)

Seeding I don't warrant, sodding I'll replace up to 20 rolls on a residential project up to 30 days from completion.

Now, those are my hard and fast policies - but I can't count on two hands the number of customers I've done better than the warranty for this year. Good for PR.
Old 08-30-2000, 12:02 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

John,
I do maintenance too, but a lot of the installs are for different ones than the maint. customers. When I do work for a maint. customer, I definitely keep an eye on it each week and give a little TLC. I even try to visit the other sites as much as possible to make sure they're OK. Even if the job is not covered under warranty, I'll let the customer know if they need to water more or less, or anything else that might be needed. I'd rather get to the waiting list of new projects than replace plants already done, even if the customer is paying for it.