Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-05-2013, 02:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Pulley on the bottom of the peerless transmission wobbling

I have a 04 Gravely 1548g belt drive. It stopped pulling at all the other day. So i checked and the transmission belt was stretched. When i took it off to replace it i noticed the pulley on the underside of the mower attached to the shaft coming out of the bottom of the trans will move pretty bad up and down / back and forth when i move it with my hand, and its the whole shaft that goes into the transmission not just the pulley around the shaft.

Because now that i got my new belt on it makes the pulley taper up since its alot tighter and then it has already worn some rubber off the belt because its not perfectly aligned. (i didn't noticed till i ran it some and then looked back underneath it). What would cause that shaft to be so loose. At first i thought i could tighten the pulley, but its just held on with a c clip. So now i'm lost. Any ideas? Thanks
Old 10-05-2013, 02:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The input shaft bearings in the transmission are shot. Ya need to get it fixed asap, or you might have to replace the case, etc.
Do search on here, been covered plenty of times. " peerless transmission"

......AMF!
Old 10-05-2013, 02:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Alright, ill look into that. Sorry about making new thread. Shoulda searched first.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:00 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

You do it whichever way you like but when I had that problem on mine, and apparently this is a weak spot with these Tecumsehs... When that happened on my mower I decided to simply replace the transmission whole because it takes an afternoon to swap it out...

That part isn't too awful bad, it's not too terribly technical but it's just a lot of work, bolts and nuts and more nuts and bolts, just about the entire back end between the two belts has to come off, and go back together, might want to take pictures for your own reference.

You could, if you were to do that, attempt to rebuild the old one at your convenience, you're looking at replacing the needle bearings that sit inside the hole in the case where the input shaft goes through but that's just for starters, the top bevel gear might be worn among other things, you'll have to inspect the insides carefully and meticylously clean it all out, so you'll need a tube of bentonite grease, depending how many parts need replacing you can be into $50-$80 in parts quick, don't forget a tube of red gasket paste.

This part CAN get awful technical.

The one transmission I rebuilt, the stupid bearings wouldn't go in the hole so I CAREFULLY ground them down just a little bit with a dremel... And it had just the tiniest amount of play in the axle, unfortunately I didn't feel like chancing it so I threw the whole transmission away because I'm telling you...

Spend an afternoon doing a Tecumseh swap sometime, maybe you don't feel like sticking a tranny in that you're not 100% sure will work too lol

Anyhow that's my take on that problem.

You'll need to get the transmission model and type.
Usually it's a 700-### number.
Helps to know how many FORWARD gears you have as well, it's either 4 or 5.
And whether it's fine (or 36) spline or coarse (or 9) spline.
For example, new 700-070 run around $2-$300

One other thing...
You can take it apart any which way you like...
But to put it back together OR if you're installing a Tecumseh use ONLY hand tools!
Otherwise you'll strip something on that aluminum case.
Might go so far as to use a torque wrench and you'd have to find the foot-lbs specifications, but basically you'll want to just snug them up.

Last edited by herler; 10-06-2013 at 01:10 AM.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:23 PM
LawnSite Member

I took it apart today and the top input shaft needle bearing is in hundreds of little pieces of metal. The input shaft is really messed up. It has grooves in the surface and it not smooth to to the touch. Its a peerless 700-079 5spd with Reverse

It's gonna cost me right around $85 after tax to get the parts i need to fix it. Should i just buy a new one for little more than hundred $ more?

Also any opinions on replacement transmission off of ebay. Its a genuine Tecumseh for $195 w/shipping or $180 for a Pro-Gear T7511
Or should i stick with the dealer that is more expensive?
Thanks
Old 10-10-2013, 06:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by usernamehere View Post
Also any opinions on replacement transmission off of ebay. Its a genuine Tecumseh for $195 w/shipping or $180 for a Pro-Gear T7511
Or should i stick with the dealer that is more expensive?
Thanks
Are you going to send the Progear back to China if it doesn't work right? Get the genuine Peerless.

Old 10-10-2013, 10:45 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I can tell you I would have already ordered and had the new transmission physically available at my location before I even started pulling the mower apart, lessons I learned over the years, always try and complete a repair in one swoop if at all possible, the reason is I'm more likely to remember how it all goes back together. Now you have this mower all apart and it could be days or even weeks before you get the part(s) you need, man I hope you took pictures.

That having been said, I'd get a brand new transmission, install it.
Same logic, now the mower runs.

Then if you're in the mood, order the $85 in parts and rebuild the old one.

That's how I would do it, after the last rebuild fiasco, I also spent $80 or so in parts, exact same problem.

Most likely I would order this one because it specifically lets me select the 700-709:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Peerless-5-S...-/300886413934

Last edited by herler; 10-10-2013 at 10:52 AM.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post

Most likely I would order this one because it specifically lets me select the 700-709:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Peerless-5-S...-/300886413934
I took pictures, so no worries there. I went ahead and purchased the transmission you had shown in the link there. Should be here in 7 days or less.

When I get around to it Ill probably fix up the broken one. That way ill at-least have a spare.

Thanks for your alls help.