Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-14-2014, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Do you move things in the lawn that are in the way?

Or do you go around them? I don't mean like the hose pipe or something small, things like tables, swing sets, that have hard to reach places but would take time to move and put back for you to get everything trimmed.

I have a customer that has 2 picnic tables in the back up against the house. He has potted plants and bags of soil on and around the table. I trim what I can and leave the rest. He's never said anything but left me a voicemail today wanting it all weedeated down next time. I'm 99.9% sure when I get there nothing will be moved out of the way.

This is a mow and go customer that has a habit of being a day late and a dollar short on payments.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd let him know he has to move that stuff so you can do the job. sounds like one that needs to be replaced to me! I"m bad about not giving people like that a chance though.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I move everything, tables chairs, trampolines, toys, sticks etc. I do mostly higher end residentials and if I trimmed around these items and left tall grass behind, I'd be fired in no time. My clients have the expectation of a manicured lawn and they are willing to pay for it. I am willing to charge for it. Its a win win.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffTurfLawnCare View Post
I move everything, tables chairs, trampolines, toys, sticks etc. I do mostly higher end residentials and if I trimmed around these items and left tall grass behind, I'd be fired in no time. My clients have the expectation of a manicured lawn and they are willing to pay for it. I am willing to charge for it. Its a win win.
This is by no means a high end residential customer. This is a bi weekly mow and go. The thing about it is I can see the guy sitting in the recliner through the patio door every time I'm there. You'd think if he wanted it trimmed under there he'd clean it up a bit so I could get to it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-14-2014, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I move everything as well, as long as it doesn't take more than about 10 mins, we move it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-14-2014, 09:44 PM
Sponsor

Fire him. Find another customer that won't take advantage of you like this one has and will continue to if you allow it.
easy-lift guy
Old 07-14-2014, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Depends on what has to be moved and the customers expectations and the level of service that the customer is paying for.

Two tables up against the house loaded with stuff on them, under them, around them, I'm not moving anything. Though I will reach in close as I can while avoiding cutting open any of those bags.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnsharkMB View Post
Or do you go around them? I don't mean like the hose pipe or something small, things like tables, swing sets, that have hard to reach places but would take time to move and put back for you to get everything trimmed.

I have a customer that has 2 picnic tables in the back up against the house. He has potted plants and bags of soil on and around the table. I trim what I can and leave the rest. He's never said anything but left me a voicemail today wanting it all weedeated down next time. I'm 99.9% sure when I get there nothing will be moved out of the way.

This is a mow and go customer that has a habit of being a day late and a dollar short on payments.

bags of soil run the risk (easily) of being damaged by the weed whacker.
you can't trim there unless the bags of soil are moved.

The price is to mow that area not navigate the extra obstacle. You have been a swell guy not to charge him extra to begin with. however you are not going to be responsible for the damage soil bags…so he either moves them, or you don't trim too closely there.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffTurfLawnCare View Post
high end residentials don't leave their pots and soils on picnic tables out back for weeks on end with high grass growing up around it.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Anytime I hear anyone say that they would instantly drop a customer for a minor problem (this thread pertaining as such) I laugh. I picked up a customer a month or so back because last lawn guy didn't put the lawn furniture back after moving them "way out of the area and didn't replace them". This customers backyard extends into a neighboring lawn that mow... No more having to turn around mid lawn anymore! To the OP, use your head man,you know your client better than anyone else on here does. Assess the request and think through to the best response, unless you don't care to be in business and just "omg drop him instantly, he asked you to do your job!!"....

If it is going to be a pita, I would suggest asking him if he wouldn't mind having the lawn items moved to another area so that you can properly mow and trim the turf without "risking an damage" to the items preventing you from mowing.