Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-06-2013, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
That is what the dealers told me, that the rep and distributor told them. I actually hope they are wrong. I'd be really interested in this trimmer if it can accept all the gearbox attachments I have. There are solid cable shafts (not exactly sure on what the construction of them is) and braided cable shafts. The braided definitely can't handle the attachments, while some of the solid flexible shafts can accept certain attachments.

As for the trigger- I have the same thing on my Husky, and have yet to have any problems with it after two full years of use. They, and Redmax (same company as most of us know) say that the trigger is unbreakable from any normal use or abuse short of intentionally trying to do so in some crazy manner.
My rep told me it will be a solid steel shaft. I forgot to ask about the attachment cabability because the prize draw was starting and there was a Toro snowblower up for grabs haha but I'll ask next time I go there.

Trigger- I must admit I don't like the new style without the full piece on it... But let's hope they change that in the final product.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
I would.

It's about time someone came out with it. I would use it almost constantly. Just think how handy it would be for setting the power level you need for the conditions at hand, and then not worrying about it. You can let it go to flip the trimmer over, upside down etc and not have your hand in an awkward position to reach the trigger etc etc ......
I LOVE the new dial throttle lock! I would use it constantly aswell! Espically for edging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbell36 View Post
yeah i don't like the throttle lever, that style breaks...and i would imagine it would accept attachments, we had a fs 90 strictly for attachments until we figured out that we could use our 100's, then we just bought 100's from there on out...don't have any problems with the shaft either
I'm 97% sure it can accept attachments. Like I said to RG I hope they change the throttle trigger back to the old one in the final product. The throttle lock dial will be a very useful thing for me. But everyone does things their own way

Old 10-06-2013, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It's really odd and/or frustrating that Stihl reps in different areas tell their dealers different things. The one dealer told me that they knew for sure it was a cable shaft. I guess they stripped it down to look at the new internals with the mechanics or something. I am hoping for a solid shaft anyway..
Old 10-06-2013, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Ridin' Green;4877436]It's really odd and/or frustrating that Stihl reps in different areas tell their dealers different things. The one dealer told me that they knew for sure it was a cable shaft. I guess they stripped it down to look at the new internals with the mechanics or something. I am hoping for a solid shaft anyway..
Whenever it comes out we will have to wait and see. Liberty Lawnworks told me on the other thread that his Stihl rep brought a FS 240R to his local dealer where meanwhile my rep told me it was in the final stages of design and to expect a Pre-Production model around Dec-Jan as I said above. Either it's district management doing this or it's diffrent countries messing up the information exchange..... I keep saying that I'm very positive it will have a steel shaft =)

Last edited by Charles; 10-13-2013 at 07:18 PM.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:17 AM
LawnSite Member

I could see that if they did away with the one stop throttle lock, then you could have an automatic returning cut off switch. No telling how many times I have tried to start it with the switch set to off.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It appears to be the same 2-mix engine as on their HS 81 hedge trimmers, albeit bored out to 24 cc (34 -> 35 mm piston).

No fuel tank guard / engine stand? I guess it's becoming the norm.
Stihl FC85, MS192T, 041AV, MS200
Redmax HBZ2601

Old 10-07-2013, 06:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkilov View Post
It appears to be the same 2-mix engine as on their HS 81 hedge trimmers, albeit bored out to 24 cc (34 -> 35 mm piston).

Looks to me like it's molded into the tank bottom.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

whats the deal? stihl going to start doing 2 cycle trimmers again?
Old 10-07-2013, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

what would most of you buy? wait for this trimmer to come out or get a fs90? I need a new trimmer for next year.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimslawncareservice View Post
what would most of you buy? wait for this trimmer to come out or get a fs90? I need a new trimmer for next year.
I know a lot of guys hate the 4 mixers, but so far my 90 has been extremely reliable, and starts first pull every time. I love the torque too. My only gripe ever has been the fact that they tend to be all or nothing with the throttle, meaning that they work great at idle, but as you start to pull the trigger a little more there comes a point where the rpm's jump way up. I understand they redesigned the throttle cam for where the cable comes into the housing to the carb and that is supposed to remedy that. I like the simplicity of 2 strokes, but IMO the 4 mixers have their place too.

Also, for spring trimming when the grass grows so fast and lush, no 2 stroke in the same class with do what the 90 does, especially at lower rpm's when you need to pull the trigger and have it just grunt on through.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkilov View Post
It's not. It is an all-new engine being added to the "new" 2-mix stratocharged engine line.
For the engine guard, +1 on what RG said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 seasons lawn&land View Post
whats the deal? stihl going to start doing 2 cycle trimmers again?
Seems like they've realized that most, not all dislike the 4 mix and that they are slowly losing customers by not listening to the demands/requests of everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimslawncareservice View Post
I would get the FS 94 R unless you urgently need a trimmer.