Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-07-2013, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorcupineLawnCare View Post
It's not. It is an all-new engine being added to the "new" 2-mix stratocharged engine line.
For the engine guard, +1 on what RG said.

Seems like they've realized that most, not all dislike the 4 mix and that they are slowly losing customers by not listening to the demands/requests of everyone.

I would get the FS 94 R unless you urgently need a trimmer.
I've posted this before on LS, but one night while googling something else, I came across some good info about Redmax. Back when Stihl was getting close to final development of the 4 mix engines, they bought 100K of Redmax's strato engines, but then shelved them when it looked like going ahead with the 4 mix would be the way to go based on what the EPA was telling the various manu's. They are now using them up in the newer BP's and probably these new trimmers as well. I should have kept a link to the article. It was really in depth about what all RM has been involved with.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
I've posted this before on LS, but one night while googling something else, I came across some good info about Redmax. Back when Stihl was getting close to final development of the 4 mix engines, they bought 100K of Redmax's strato engines, but then shelved them when it looked like going ahead with the 4 mix would be the way to go based on what the EPA was telling the various manu's. They are now using them up in the newer BP's and probably these new trimmers as well. I should have kept a link to the article. It was really in depth about what all RM has been involved with.
I read about this too. A follow-up to this a while ago said that they were used on the first stratocharged 2-mix products when they first started making them, such as the br200 and the bg86 which were the ones that HAD the RedMax engines in them for a very short while. Because for Stihl 100k units takes a very short time to use. There was once some talk that they copied RedMax but that was cleared after some in-depth research was done.

I don't remember the source either!

Old 10-09-2013, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Member

it looks sweet! wish it would come in a solid shaft
Old 10-09-2013, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillsLawnService View Post
it looks sweet! wish it would come in a solid shaft
It is gonna be a solid shaft!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-09-2013, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
It is gonna be a solid shaft!
Posted via Mobile Device
I hope you're right in the end, but so far, nit a single one of the dealers I have called (going out as far as 70 miles from my area) says they will. They all say the rep(s) have showed them a unit with a solid cable shaft vs one with a solid steel or braided cable shaft. We'll have to wait and see what Stihl uses, but I find it hard to believe they wouldn't take advantage of a solid shaft so that it can accept the gear box attachments, unless they figure they are better suited to the torque of the 4 mix models.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I hope you're right in the end, but so far, nit a single one of the dealers I have called (going out as far as 70 miles from my area) says they will. They all say the rep(s) have showed them a unit with a solid cable shaft vs one with a solid steel or braided cable shaft. We'll have to wait and see what Stihl uses, but I find it hard to believe they wouldn't take advantage of a solid shaft so that it can accept the gear box attachments, unless they figure they are better suited to the torque of the 4 mix models.
Honestly, I just hope that they choose to go the solid shaft route. Because to say that it does not have enough power to run most of the attachments is a lie IMHO. It has almost the power of a fs90r. So that wouldn't be a valid statement if they came and said that. Sure it won't be able to run the bed-redifiner and maybe the power broom very efficiently, but one would think they have enough common sense to buy a bigger unit such as a 130 for those attachments.

Old 10-11-2013, 02:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Honestly, I just hope that they choose to go the solid shaft route. Because to say that it does not have enough power to run most of the attachments is a lie IMHO. It has almost the power of a fs90r. So that wouldn't be a valid statement if they came and said that. Sure it won't be able to run the bed-redifiner and maybe the power broom very efficiently, but one would think they have enough common sense to buy a bigger unit such as a 130 for those attachments.
I believe it'll run the power broom with no problem. My FS90R will actually run it so well that the throttle will bounce off the rev limiter even while clearing gravel and sand from grass.
Old 10-11-2013, 02:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I believe it'll run the power broom with no problem. My FS90R will actually run it so well that the throttle will bounce off the rev limiter even while clearing gravel and sand from grass.
My 110 runs it very good aswell, Lots of power!

Old 10-13-2013, 02:58 PM
LawnSite Member

With a MSRP of $379 it should have a solid steel driveshaft. If they are cable -driven it's a deal breaker for me. Stihl lost me as a customer after owning a 4-Mess so I am hoping the steel shaft wins out in this unit.
Old 10-13-2013, 03:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneJessie View Post
With a MSRP of $379 it should have a solid steel driveshaft. If they are cable -driven it's a deal breaker for me. Stihl lost me as a customer after owning a 4-Mess so I am hoping the steel shaft wins out in this unit.
$379.95 in Canada..........
I don't know where you live so I couldn"t tell you how much it is where you are.