Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-06-2013, 12:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Weathermatic.. possible bad SLMx modules?? Blowing fuses

SL1600 with one SLM4 and one SLM12 worked great for years, then went out. Found transformer was bad. Replaced transformer and unit powered for about 20 seconds, Second transformer went bad. Replaced the SL1600 with a new one, unit powered up for 5 seconds and went out. Saw that newer SL1600 has an in-line fuse after transformer. Pulled SLM modules out and swapped fuse, unit powers up fine. Put in old SLM4 module (no wires attached) and fuse blew again. Is it possible storm blew out the SLMx modules?? Has anyone experienced this?
I have to get a couple more SLMx modules to try to get this working.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bans25 View Post
SL1600 with one SLM4 and one SLM12 worked great for years, then went out. Found transformer was bad. Replaced transformer and unit powered for about 20 seconds, Second transformer went bad. Replaced the SL1600 with a new one, unit powered up for 5 seconds and went out. Saw that newer SL1600 has an in-line fuse after transformer. Pulled SLM modules out and swapped fuse, unit powers up fine. Put in old SLM4 module (no wires attached) and fuse blew again. Is it possible storm blew out the SLMx modules?? Has anyone experienced this?
I have to get a couple more SLMx modules to try to get this working.
I would measure the resistance of each station before going any further, that should of been the first course of action. If you are measuring under 10 ohms resistance on 1 or more stations you should begin a search for a direct short.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i had a similar situation earlier this year...would randomly blow fuses, wasn't making any sense...then i found that the conduit covering the wires on the outside of the house was pulled down by the drought exposing the wiring and the weed eaters from the mowing crew were hitting the wiring, which tore off the insulation and would get moved every time the weedeater would hit the wiring, causing multiple wires to touch, blowing fuses

another issue was multiple zones turning on at the same time...once i found the problem it all made sense
Old 10-06-2013, 04:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

sounds like a short in the field
Old 10-06-2013, 04:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Not to complicate things for all that responded, but he said he is blowing the fuse without any wires hooked to the modules. He may very well have wiring issues in the field as well that caused issues prior, but at this point he can't even keep a fuse from blowing with an empty module inserted.
Old 10-06-2013, 05:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

youre right. i didn't see that part.
change the whole clock.
Old 10-06-2013, 05:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
I would measure the resistance of each station before going any further, that should of been the first course of action. If you are measuring under 10 ohms resistance on 1 or more stations you should begin a search for a direct short.
Measure between the common and the stations and if you have any resistance replace the clock
Posted via Mobile Device