Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-06-2013, 02:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

7 , 10, 14 day mowing schedule

I operate a 7 day mowing schedule from April thru October and 14 days Nov thru march. We have an lco around here that does a 10 day cycle starting October 1st and then it switches to 14 day mow cycle November 1st thru march 31st. Then its back to a 10 day cycle all of April and starting May 1st back to weekly mowing. Now what is the benefit of this schedule? Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-06-2013, 02:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't really see a benefit compared to what you do. I think its maybe just how he operates.

YardBros Outdoors
www.yardbros.com
2014 John Deere Z920M
2011 Husqvarna 5424 ZTR
(2) Craftsman Push Mowers
Stihl trimmers
Echo Blowers
6x10 open utility trailer
6x12 Enclosed Trailer
YardBros Outdoors
www.yardbros.com

Old 10-06-2013, 02:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I offer 7, 10 and 14 day. It all depends on what the customer wants and how neat they want their yard to look. From Dec-Jan I don't really do anything. It's all in what the customer wants.
All Echo hand helds
<- That's how I feel at the end of the day.
Old 10-06-2013, 03:21 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by williams lcm View Post
I operate a 7 day mowing schedule from April thru October and 14 days Nov thru march. We have an lco around here that does a 10 day cycle starting October 1st and then it switches to 14 day mow cycle November 1st thru march 31st. Then its back to a 10 day cycle all of April and starting May 1st back to weekly mowing. Now what is the benefit of this schedule? Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
The obvious benefit to him is that he is making less visits to the properties. Assuming he is getting a fair amount for each visit and he has covered this with his customers he might be making more than other LCO's.

For example less say you charge $100 a month - at 40 visits per year that is $30 a cut

Now if he is charging say $95 a month. His rates look cheaper but on the per cut he is actually making more because per cut he is making almost $36 a cut.

I would take a guess and say that is what he is doing and why. I personally do not see how you guys make it not going weekly until April. We start weekly in March and almost every property has a need for regular service starting then.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 10-06-2013, 03:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

One of his customers does not like it and thinks he is getting taken for a ride.. since he is paying the same each month 12 months out of the year.the customer says it give his lawn guy more time to do pet projects from Oct to may irrigation,power washing etc. one lawn guy told me its about training your customers . He has done this concept every year with the same customers. I guess he has very loyal customers .

Last edited by williams lcm; 10-06-2013 at 03:30 PM.
Old 10-06-2013, 03:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

[QUOTE=williams lcm;4877083]One of his customers does not like it and thinks he is getting taken for a ride.. since he is paying the same each month 12 months out of the year.the customer says it give his lawn guy more time to do pet projects from Oct to may irrigation,power washing etc. one lawn guy told me its about training your customers . He has done this concept every year with the same customers. I guess he has very loyal customers . He also is not a low baller and charges a good rate.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-06-2013, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I even have a 21 day yard. And she pays, even though she doesn't think so.
All Echo hand helds
<- That's how I feel at the end of the day.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

This is why you have the "TALK" right off the bat with new customers. Put it in BOLD writing in your policy and procedure paper new customers get. Theres never a problem when they get the 5 mows in a month in July. It's always the end of the month in December when you are hunting down the check and they present you with a half payment and the "why should I pay for a full month excuse". This is usually only a problem with the new to having a lawn service customers. You just have to find the route the customer understands. The per cut times 42 cuts over 12 months or 1 year divided by 12 months "I'm doing you a favor financing a year of service for you" tactic. Mine get the you are paying for a month of service, not a specific number of visits. You get more service for less money in summer and a little less for the same money in the winter.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:10 AM
LawnSite Member

lawn mowing cycles should be based on the properties needs to be serviced and not driven by the dollars you take doing them. I would like to mow on a 7 day cycle most of the time. I have had a lot of new customers this season feel their properties should be mowed on a 14 day cycle. I had to talk to them about how to mow their properties the correct why. A 10 day cycle is good if you can make it work. But the down side is if it is a thick well maintain lawn it looks better on a 7 day cycle without all the extra cut grass turning brown on top of that nice lawn. I adjust my mowing schedule to meet my customers need and to benfit the lawn needs. I mow every week during the season here in maryland and adjust it to the off season. Some lawns have more tree leaves than others which I like to mulch the leaves vice bagging them. When I bag them I charge a extra cash for that service. This is just my thought as a small business owner and a home owner.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by round about View Post
lawn mowing cycles should be based on the properties needs to be serviced and not driven by the dollars you take doing them. I would like to mow on a 7 day cycle most of the time. I have had a lot of new customers this season feel their properties should be mowed on a 14 day cycle. I had to talk to them about how to mow their properties the correct why. A 10 day cycle is good if you can make it work. But the down side is if it is a thick well maintain lawn it looks better on a 7 day cycle without all the extra cut grass turning brown on top of that nice lawn. I adjust my mowing schedule to meet my customers need and to benfit the lawn needs. I mow every week during the season here in maryland and adjust it to the off season. Some lawns have more tree leaves than others which I like to mulch the leaves vice bagging them. When I bag them I charge a extra cash for that service. This is just my thought as a small business owner and a home owner.
Florida is a different ballgame. 99% of LCOs bill monthly. Its just the way things are done down here. We still mow 2-3 times a month in winter and sometimes 5 in summer. It balances the payment for the customer and puts the schedule in our hands. Its how you make money down here instead of the run around like a nut all summer praying you made enough money for winter. Every year this time we have to explain this concept in several threads.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Patriot Services; 10-07-2013 at 10:21 AM.