Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-12-2013, 05:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

About the landscape blade...that was one of the best purchases i made. People are always like what is that thing lol.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-12-2013, 06:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Gardener View Post
That's exactly why i go for the high end stuff...they just make you so much more money. One thing that i hate dealing with are people that complain over having to replace a few plants here or there, or that question every little thing. I've found you don't deal with that on the high end. There are multi million dollar companies here that only work in one or two locations. There is a reason for that. Its not an arrogance thing either, if most lco could get these homes they would.
Posted via Mobile Device
You sure don't. They expect you to stay on top of things and bill them for it. If there is extra work to be done, question is usually when can you get it done?

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 10-12-2013, 06:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
You sure don't. They expect you to stay on top of things and bill them for it. If there is extra work to be done, question is usually when can you get it done?
I got one lady who we put in 70ish plants for a few months back....she decided she doesn't like em and wants all replaced...yes ma'am!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-12-2013, 09:03 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I found the 10 day schedule as very difficult to accomodate while grouping yards in same locations and had us running all over town..then you have the occasional 10 day schedule which falls on sat or Sunday...
I stopped that practice years ago and that coupled with contracts and moving away from callins made my life much easier and able to grow

Its very difficult to maintain a consistant maintenance schedule and fold in additional work...
A seperate crew works for all additional
2 Sears electric weedeaters
1 green machine electric leaf blower
1 sears articulating hedge trimmer-electric
2 50ft power cords
3 Leaf rakes
1 shovel
1 pocket knife
cooler for beer
lawn chair to enjoy a beer while I wait for the cash to be handed to me
Old 10-12-2013, 09:25 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
So, what kind of mower are you running now? Although it really does not matter. What matters is keeping the blades backlapped and adjusted. Also be sure that the guys cross cut and change the patterns of cut every week. Creating grooves in a lawn because the cut pattern is not changed. Those are the two reasons why I find it better to do my own mowing.
McClane right now, the gang reel has been purchased by the bermuda homeowner and is on the way. I informed the cut quality may not be as good with the reel. He has accepted that but is not prepared to pay for 21K to be cut with a 20 inch reel. He stated that even though the cut quality may not be a good it is still better than what he has been getting with a rotary.

On the Gang we are starting out with the ProMow Gold 3 Gang. If his works well they are cheap enough I may purchase one for myself. The guy with the acres of empire has agreed to buy one, which he does not want left on the property but rather wants me to take with me....so I may have one of my own with out purchasing but if they are acceptable the cost is right I would not hesitate buying one.

my McClane backlapping kit just came in this week. I noticed some of the turf not being cut as clean as it should be. I actually ordered it over 3 weeks ago but somehow Mcclane charged me for it, sent me a confirmation email but somehow failed to actually ship the kit. I called them late last week and it arrived early this week.

The pro mow gang seems simple enough to backlap and they have a instructional video online on how to do it which I can reference if I have questions.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 10-12-2013, 09:30 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
Yea I still can't believe the deal I fell into. I thought my Mclane would remain a novelty for personal use. GreenDoc has given me some invaluable info in setting it up and its daily care. Its great having yards that pay 5x the usual rate. The only problem is right now they are all mine until I get the boys up to speed on these kind of props. Not the usual mow n go with a little trim.
Posted via Mobile Device

Glad you have the McClane too. I will give you a buzz maybe now that I know someone else has one. I have that same deal ...the reel cut are mine with the exception of one 1600 square foot one that logistically I let them take care. At this point I have developed one day for myself of reel cut lawns, which it is nice to get away from them for a day and just do my own thing too though.

I am tired as heck today as I took my employees out to dinner and to halloween horror nights last night. I am too old and not used to being out till 3 am and it is showing today.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 10-12-2013, 01:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

1" with a gang reel is a big improvement over a rotary any day :: My only concern is how well it would do on a large area of zoysia. You can be the test case. If it works I have more ammunition to crack the local landscapers over the head with concerning their usage of a rotary just because the area is to big to do with a walk behind.

On that backlapping kit that McLane is going to send you. Don't do it. Backlapping is supposed to be done at low speeds. The reel should not be turning terribly fast. I am thinking no more than 400 RPM. The kit will give you over 1000. I made an adaptor for the McLane consisting of a steel sleeve with a set screw. That sleeve is then coupled to a shaft that is chucked into a reversible 1/2" variable speed drill. I remove the chain from the reel drive sprocket, extract the sprocket, put the adapter on, and run the drill slowly while brushing compound along the length of the blades.

Old 10-12-2013, 04:29 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:

On that backlapping kit that McLane is going to send you. Don't do it. Backlapping is supposed to be done at low speeds. The reel should not be turning terribly fast. I am thinking no more than 400 RPM. The kit will give you over 1000. I made an adaptor for the McLane consisting of a steel sleeve with a set screw. That sleeve is then coupled to a shaft that is chucked into a reversible 1/2" variable speed drill. I remove the chain from the reel drive sprocket, extract the sprocket, put the adapter on, and run the drill slowly while brushing compound along the length of the blades.
Gotcha , When ordering it from McClane it is not very clear what it is as the picture is a generic stock photo. I have uncased it and seen that it is as you described it essentially runs it backword at normal speed. I have noticed on the on many of the reels , including the gang reel from promo that their is actually a device as you describe to move it at a much slower RPM .

You ever think of making a youtube video giving tips for your friends here at LS including backlapping procedures?

On the zoysia being cut with a reel....we will see. I hope that it is the same nature in that even slightly poorer cut quality will still result in better turf as I will be able to get to a height that I never could with a rotary...letting apical dominance do its thing thus providing a thicker healthier stand of turf

Old 10-12-2013, 04:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You really want me to be hated in all 50 states don't you? The shops that sell spin grind only sharpening jobs and the replacement reels for the mowers they grind to death will have a price on my head. I might do it anyway. I already have enemies because I do not spot spray or spread granules.

A less than perfect cut with a reel is better than the shred job done by a rotary. A rotary with the deck dropped low is good for taking down overgrown lawns because you want all of that mat and excess vegetation to be ripped out. Not so much if the idea is to keep healthy turf. Thicker turf needs less water and chemicals to be green and have less weeds. On bermuda and zoysia ,that means mowing low with a reel.

Old 10-12-2013, 07:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I did my first reel cuts on the new Zoysias yesterday. The quality is night and day over the 60" rotary hack. You could just tell by end of the blade. No fraying, no clippings. My spray guy has one more treatment and all the color, injured spots should be all evened out. I'm not worried about getting my other guys up to speed. Half are family and share my OCD tendencies. The areas aren't big enough to stripe but I can still alter directions weekly.

I'm following GD on the lapping advice. You don't want to exceed 400rpm when lapping unless you really want to buy new reels on a regular basis. I'm going to see how long I can go before the edge is gone. The soil I'm on isn't as gritty as you typically find.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Patriot Services; 10-12-2013 at 07:37 PM.