Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-12-2013, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

One more thing, when lapping to maintain an edge and even contact, 120-180 grit water based lapping compound is a good idea. It takes off less metal at a time. I use 50 or 80 when the reel needs major correction of stone chip damage or the edge is gone.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 10-13-2013, 07:12 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
One more thing, when lapping to maintain an edge and even contact, 120-180 grit water based lapping compound is a good idea. It takes off less metal at a time. I use 50 or 80 when the reel needs major correction of stone chip damage or the edge is gone.
Where are you buying this compound? It is obvious that reel mowing is not common place here so finding the compound I would not even know where to start. I found some on ebay in 11lb pales for 180 and a 80 ...thought about getting them but I am not sure now as the description is limited and does not say it is water based or not.

I did the first backlapping today. The paper test proved that the process did its job.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 10-14-2013, 01:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I buy the water based aluminum oxide from Napa. They usually have the 180 grit on stock. I had some 80 but never needed it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-14-2013, 02:10 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscape Poet View Post
Where are you buying this compound? It is obvious that reel mowing is not common place here so finding the compound I would not even know where to start. I found some on ebay in 11lb pales for 180 and a 80 ...thought about getting them but I am not sure now as the description is limited and does not say it is water based or not.

I did the first backlapping today. The paper test proved that the process did its job.
Any vendor that services golf courses should have it or know who has it. Backlapping is not that common in my state. Most reels are spin ground. Take a reel to most mower shops and they will spin grind it without lapping the blades back in. Even though that is what manufacturers recommend. Just a minute or so with some 180 grit compound. I order mine off of EBay. The one vendor who I know had it went out of business. No time to call and have 3/4 of then not know what you are talking about.

Congratulations on your first backlap. You are now in an elite group separate from the people who run a reel on the lawn when it is dull and out of adjustment.

Old 10-14-2013, 05:59 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Any vendor that services golf courses should have it or know who has it. Backlapping is not that common in my state. Most reels are spin ground. Take a reel to most mower shops and they will spin grind it without lapping the blades back in. Even though that is what manufacturers recommend. Just a minute or so with some 180 grit compound. I order mine off of EBay. The one vendor who I know had it went out of business. No time to call and have 3/4 of then not know what you are talking about.

Congratulations on your first backlap. You are now in an elite group separate from the people who run a reel on the lawn when it is dull and out of adjustment.
Thanks I appreicate it

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 10-14-2013, 06:00 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
I buy the water based aluminum oxide from Napa. They usually have the 180 grit on stock. I had some 80 but never needed it.
Posted via Mobile Device
I will check them out. I did not even think about them but I get my Amsoil there so when I make my next stop I will check and see what they got.

Old 10-17-2013, 06:09 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscape Poet View Post
The obvious benefit to him is that he is making less visits to the properties. Assuming he is getting a fair amount for each visit and he has covered this with his customers he might be making more than other LCO's.

For example less say you charge $100 a month - at 40 visits per year that is $30 a cut

Now if he is charging say $95 a month. His rates look cheaper but on the per cut he is actually making more because per cut he is making almost $36 a cut.

I would take a guess and say that is what he is doing and why. I personally do not see how you guys make it not going weekly until April. We start weekly in March and almost every property has a need for regular service starting then.
A man who know his math...

To those who whine about customers balking at paying the freight in December, written Service Agreements help!

There are guys down here who go 3x per month April - September and 2X per month October - March. 30 cuts per year, hard to beat their monthly.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it"
Old 10-18-2013, 04:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Gardener View Post
That's exactly why i go for the high end stuff...they just make you so much more money. One thing that i hate dealing with are people that complain over having to replace a few plants here or there, or that question every little thing. I've found you don't deal with that on the high end. There are multi million dollar companies here that only work in one or two locations. There is a reason for that. Its not an arrogance thing either, if most lco could get these homes they would.
Posted via Mobile Device
I think Mike and I were in the same boat. We had to wait for the economy to turn around in two of the largest and hardest hit areas of Florida. Then we had to wait for the new owners that are in nice affordable houses to wisen up about quality over price. Now the patience is paying off and the only thing that can screw it up is ourselves and I know half a dozen LCOs that are waiting for me to do just that. The area I've gotten into is very heavily canvassed by the service industry. Will this be all I cater to no? Nope, still need the bread n butter middle class. All my ancillary services and anything else I think I can make a buck on. Margins are great on some and mediocre on others, but it all goes in the pot. Hoping to add 4-7 more employees by years end.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-19-2013, 01:18 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
I think Mike and I were in the same boat. We had to wait for the economy to turn around in two of the largest and hardest hit areas of Florida. Then we had to wait for the new owners that are in nice affordable houses to wisen up about quality over price. Now the patience is paying off and the only thing that can screw it up is ourselves and I know half a dozen LCOs that are waiting for me to do just that. The area I've gotten into is very heavily canvassed by the service industry. Will this be all I cater to no? Nope, still need the bread n butter middle class. All my ancillary services and anything else I think I can make a buck on. Margins are great on some and mediocre on others, but it all goes in the pot. Hoping to add 4-7 more employees by years end.
Posted via Mobile Device
Are the ones waiting for you to mess up equal to you or cheaper? By cheaper, I mean cheap work. I am not impressed by the idea of descending on a lawn with rotary mowers and weedwhackers blazing, being in and out in less than 30 minutes leaving the place looking butchered. I am often in the position of waiting for a mowing crew to do something intolerable. On one of my spray only accounts, the homeowner got the "talk" from me today. I had to know why there was red clay applied to spots in the lawn. Apparently, her mowing people are running a dull and out of adjustment McLane on the lawn. So chunks of Emerald zoysia are pulled out randomly all throughout the lawn. $140 to come and butcher a lawn twice a month . I'll mow the lawn every 7 days for an additional $150, on top of what I charge to spray. Don't know what is wrong with Hawaii mowing people, they only want to mow twice a month, ask them to mow weekly and they charge per cut. There is a 12 month growing season with not much change in how much the grass grows.

Old 10-19-2013, 07:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Are the ones waiting for you to mess up equal to you or cheaper? By cheaper, I mean cheap work. I am not impressed by the idea of descending on a lawn with rotary mowers and weedwhackers blazing, being in and out in less than 30 minutes leaving the place looking butchered. I am often in the position of waiting for a mowing crew to do something intolerable. On one of my spray only accounts, the homeowner got the "talk" from me today. I had to know why there was red clay applied to spots in the lawn. Apparently, her mowing people are running a dull and out of adjustment McLane on the lawn. So chunks of Emerald zoysia are pulled out randomly all throughout the lawn. $140 to come and butcher a lawn twice a month . I'll mow the lawn every 7 days for an additional $150, on top of what I charge to spray. Don't know what is wrong with Hawaii mowing people, they only want to mow twice a month, ask them to mow weekly and they charge per cut. There is a 12 month growing season with not much change in how much the grass grows.
Flat out vulture tactics. From price to negative criticism. They don't concern me. These customers already got smoked by the shuck and jive tactics. We are doing top notch service and that is what they want.
Posted via Mobile Device