Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-24-2013, 07:16 AM
LawnSite Member

Question for Perma-Green Jocky's - Centri

I have an old Permagreen Centri that I use a few times a year. Last summer, it started making a high pitched squeel while moving. It wasn't a belt issue and now (after sitting a few months) it will not shift gears from forward /neutral/revearse. I think I locked the transmission up and unfortunately I just put a new Honda engine on it last year.
Anybody had this happen? and does anyone know if you can replace the transmission? I'm not sure this old thing is worth the work or money, but wanted to find out. Thanks for any input.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:21 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I had the squealing on my centri last year, but found it was an idler pulley bearings slowly going out. Sorry, not sure on the transmission question. Did it squeal all the time while moving or only on and off? Is there oil in it? Can you turn the fert spinner?
Old 04-24-2013, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks Mcfarland.... it only squeeled while in gear / moving as i recall. to be honest, i am not exactly sure where to check for the transmission oil or fluid. can you point me in the right spot to check? i have to check the fert spinner. mine was "customized" before i bought it used. there is a heavy steel shifter arm on the left side that changes the gears - i can't budge it forward or back.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think the tranny is made by Peerless. On my Permagreen Ultra, there was a rubber plug in the front on top of the transmission. Grab it with a pair of pliers and work it out. Sounds like it is too late, but I am pretty sure thats where the oil goes. I used 80/90 gear oil. Add some. Put a big pipe wrench on the shifter mechanism--you may be able to loosen it up. New transmission costs about $800. Not hard to remove and install a new one.
Discuss it with your lawn mower dealer--he can advise you better

I am not sure what the level of tranny oil should be...at least half full probably.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:28 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll go out and look at mine and get back to you later today. Yes, Riggle is right about there being a small rubber plug to fill with oil. I would see what is in there and make a decision from there - my book doesn't really specify what type of oil. Also I would check all the shifting linkage. Those can get rusty and go bad and bind up. Can you shift it at all on the trans itself? Was it left in N or in gear?
Old 04-29-2013, 09:09 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the pointers. I found the fill plug under 10 years of crud. Yep - it was bone dry inside. I filled up the case and worked the shifter with pb blaster. after letting it soak in a day, tried again....but broke something inside the case. So - it looks like i need a new/different transmission. Do you guys know where someone may have a used one or a Centri for parts? thanks again.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Click on the Permagreen link. They are a sponsor. They can help you.

Scroll up 8 inches and click Jack's Small Engines. They are a sponsor and they have almost everything.
Like this transmission:
http://www.jackssmallengines.com/Pro.../Transmissions

He can help you find the right set up.
And perhaps advise if there is a better tranny for your purposes.

I should point out that the fertilizer is a bit corrosive to the aluminum outer case of most transmissions. It is common for the fert to collect in any cavities and eat through the metal--the oil leaks out and...
Old 04-30-2013, 09:14 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks Riggle - exactly the info I needed.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Fill up all those top transmission cavities with silicone when you get one.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:14 PM
LawnSite Member

new tranny

Here is the site we just got our Centri's tranny from - Permagreen rips you off for $800. Get it directly from peerless for $349- http://roms-peerless-transaxle-suppl...549b-transaxle

One of the guys from Jack's Small Engines sent me to him. Now, to find the same Robins Subaru engine so that way we do not need to spend $800 for the Kawasaki AND have to retrofit it...