Register free!

Old 10-03-2013, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Where to buy powdered chelates

Where is a good source or brand of powdered chelates, that can be tank mixed?
Iron, etc. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-04-2013, 03:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I like FEAture 6-0-0(Crop Production Services-Agrium), Miller Chemical Microplex is a good one if you need a little bit of everything. I also like Sprint 138 if I need iron only. But, on turf, green comes from supplying available iron, manganese, magnesium, and sulfur. It is different from a nitrogen green which not the same color and sucks for whoever has to mow that surge growth mess.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 10-04-2013, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
I like FEAture 6-0-0(Crop Production Services-Agrium), Miller Chemical Microplex is a good one if you need a little bit of everything. I also like Sprint 138 if I need iron only. But, on turf, green comes from supplying available iron, manganese, magnesium, and sulfur. It is different from a nitrogen green which not the same color and sucks for whoever has to mow that surge growth mess.
Do you ever apply just micros without N or K? If so, would this be suitable to apply to warm season turf late in the year to give it a color boost without adding nitrogen? Could this mixture be applied at low volume, say 1 gallon per 1000.
Old 10-05-2013, 02:07 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

FEAture is actually intended for application as a low volume foliar application. I have applied 6 lb of the powder per acre in 50 gallons per acre a few days before a special event. Yes, customers do ask if I can get the grass greener before a party. Works best on lawns that already have everything else in order. Will do very little for a starved or dried out lawn. Does not do much on my lawns because iron and micronutrients are already a key part of the program.

Iron, specifically iron sulfate is used as a "hardening agent" in England, Australia, and New Zealand. This is applied in the cooler months of the year when forcing grass to be green with more nitrogen is not appropriate. They also tout better resistance to disease, stiffer turf, and of course, nice color. I have to wonder what cool season grasses would do if treated in a similar manner vs more urea.

Old 10-06-2013, 01:52 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
FEAture is actually intended for application as a low volume foliar application. I have applied 6 lb of the powder per acre in 50 gallons per acre a few days before a special event. Yes, customers do ask if I can get the grass greener before a party. Works best on lawns that already have everything else in order. Will do very little for a starved or dried out lawn. Does not do much on my lawns because iron and micronutrients are already a key part of the program.

Iron, specifically iron sulfate is used as a "hardening agent" in England, Australia, and New Zealand. This is applied in the cooler months of the year when forcing grass to be green with more nitrogen is not appropriate. They also tout better resistance to disease, stiffer turf, and of course, nice color. I have to wonder what cool season grasses would do if treated in a similar manner vs more urea.
I believe we used iron sulfate years ago at Chemlawn. If I remember correctly, isn't it kind of hard on pumps?

"Opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"- Thomas Edison, businessman/inventor
Old 10-06-2013, 03:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yes it is. Because I am spraying iron 12 months out of the year, my D30 is overhauled every Christmas. My MS074 is also torn down and rebuilt every Christmas as well. Applying a certain total amount of iron sulfate positively affects pH. That and the mix to apply it contains 5 lb food grade citric acid. In my alkaline tap water, iron sulfate turns into red sludge. Water pH is 8. I have noticed the same hardening effect on my warm season grasses that the British do. Right now, I am working on the oldest British lawn bowling green in Hawaii. I need to feed the grass, get it green without creating a lot of surge growth and keeping the surface fast. Not a problem for me. Iron sulfate, potassium nitrate, and a little ammonium sulfate. Not much different from what I spray on my residential lawns. In my eyes, I have done wrong if my spray causes the grass to grow 6" per week. Keep in mind, if I am not the one mowing it, it is being mowed by someone else with a reel mower at 3/8" twice a month not every week.

Old 10-06-2013, 12:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Iron Sulfate, granular Mg & Mn plus Ammonium Sulfate will really turn a lawn dark green. BUT IT ALSO STAINS ANYTHING IT TOUCHES. Plus as Ted said it is hard on Pumps, hoses, and Guns etc. Granular/powdered Fe, Mg & Mn are metals that act like a sand blaster on the inside of your pump. Unless you have your spray technic down to a perfect science, Over spray can cost you the Farm.

My point being, It is a lot safer to pay a little extra and use NON STAINING products of FE, Mg & Mn.

BTW Feature 6-0-0 is low staining/non staining.

/

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ric:
So glad to see you post something. I was afraid that you might be under the weather or worse. Several here including me use Greendoctor's walking boom. I can right to to concrete and never get anything on it by tilting the boom away from the surface and moving backward to an upright position all in the same movement. FEature is only 2oz/K and applying mix containing it at 3 gallon per K, it is fairly diluted.
Again glad to see you post even though it seems that sometimes it is better to let rocks be rocks.
Roy