Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-07-2013, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getmow View Post
It looks like you already know the answer to your question. You company's website presents a very professional image and you want that exposed on this prestigious property. Instead of cutting your profit margin to sell your services - sell yourself and your company during the presentation of the bid. Offer them what the others cannot - the personal service that your site advertises and the list of your high end properties.

Good luck
Thanks. That's good advice--tried and true.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. --Leonardo da Vinci

http://integritylawnpro.com
Old 10-07-2013, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

only thing I'll say as caution, if you haven't worked with subs before, even if you have, but not on this scale, make sure you have their agreed price in writing and that they have saw the scope of work and what it entails, not just telling them "800+ shrubs". I made a mistake several years ago on our first "big" job on using a sub to do some work and what I thought was a long time friendship and word of mouth quickly went sour because even though he was fine with the work, his guys weren't.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Some company's may not want you to make this mowing operation a 2 day event. They want you in and out as quickly as possible so you do not get in the way of employees and they don't have to hear equipment running days at a time. I really don't like to be low bidder because then you kick yourself in the foot months down the road. I have done some amazing work for doctors offices but have yet to receive a call from the doctors to cut their personnel property. It could happen though. Good luck and happy bidding
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-07-2013, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

He was actually joking.... Cutless Granular is actually a new product that helps stunt the growth of shrubs and bushes... It's actually really, really cool technology if you are into that sort of thing... Hey there Chilihead... big follower of your posts and threads and stuff... I am a solo op as well. Been in the industry for about 15 years working for an established company but I am now running my own business and boy does it feel awesome. I gotta say man, I give you such props! Your website is topnotch as well as your work and you give solo ops like me hope to be able to make it on my own without hiring.... I feel that you need to be a certain type of person to be a successful solo op. Sure, there are tons out there but usually they are just guys mowing for beer money or "just mowing." I really like how you offer the full gamut as I do too. I notice you do a lot of hardscapes and installs.... Do you find it difficult to fit it all in some weeks? Your maintenance stuff, your projects, your applications?
Old 10-07-2013, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsden&Son View Post
He was actually joking.... Cutless Granular is actually a new product that helps stunt the growth of shrubs and bushes... It's actually really, really cool technology if you are into that sort of thing... Hey there Chilihead... big follower of your posts and threads and stuff... I am a solo op as well. Been in the industry for about 15 years working for an established company but I am now running my own business and boy does it feel awesome. I gotta say man, I give you such props! Your website is topnotch as well as your work and you give solo ops like me hope to be able to make it on my own without hiring.... I feel that you need to be a certain type of person to be a successful solo op. Sure, there are tons out there but usually they are just guys mowing for beer money or "just mowing." I really like how you offer the full gamut as I do too. I notice you do a lot of hardscapes and installs.... Do you find it difficult to fit it all in some weeks? Your maintenance stuff, your projects, your applications?
Many thanks, and congrads on your venture. Hardscapes are usually scheduled for the winter--it would be too crammed during maintenance season.

Old 10-07-2013, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

If I'm wondering whether I need to bump it up or down that's a clue that I don't know exactly how to bid it.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Darn you and your Georgia Weather!!!!! I wasn't realizing where you were from when I posted that. And I would have to agree with one of the other posters... By the looks of your work and website, you already have a great name.... You don't need to get into a bidding war and drop your price just to get this account (big, national name or not) Unless, you are just waiting for the right time to set up a crew.... I did see the employment section on your website. If you haven't hired yet but are planning to, going out of your comfort zone on bids for this account might work out for you. You really plan on opening the flood gates if you land this account huh?
Old 10-08-2013, 07:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

3750 a month.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsden&Son View Post
You really plan on opening the flood gates if you land this account huh?
Yes, sir!
Well, today was the big day. When I arrived at 10:00 am, I was met by an executive director who took me on a tour of the grounds in a golf cart. I noted things that needed done along the way in addition to what they wanted. Their executive board of directors will know who they want to go with in 2 weeks or so. Once I get an answer who the bid winner is, I will divulge the customer's identity.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilehead View Post
Yes, sir!
Well, today was the big day. When I arrived at 10:00 am, I was met by an executive director who took me on a tour of the grounds in a golf cart. I noted things that needed done along the way in addition to what they wanted. Their executive board of directors will know who they want to go with in 2 weeks or so. Once I get an answer who the bid winner is, I will divulge the customer's identity.
Good luck!