Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 10-07-2013, 07:37 PM
Chilehead's Avatar
Chilehead Chilehead is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Stockbridge, GA
Posts: 1,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Getmow View Post
It looks like you already know the answer to your question. You company's website presents a very professional image and you want that exposed on this prestigious property. Instead of cutting your profit margin to sell your services - sell yourself and your company during the presentation of the bid. Offer them what the others cannot - the personal service that your site advertises and the list of your high end properties.

Good luck
Thanks. That's good advice--tried and true.
__________________


Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. --Leonardo da Vinci

http://integritylawnpro.com
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-07-2013, 07:41 PM
gcbailey's Avatar
gcbailey gcbailey is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: southern WV
Posts: 1,762
only thing I'll say as caution, if you haven't worked with subs before, even if you have, but not on this scale, make sure you have their agreed price in writing and that they have saw the scope of work and what it entails, not just telling them "800+ shrubs". I made a mistake several years ago on our first "big" job on using a sub to do some work and what I thought was a long time friendship and word of mouth quickly went sour because even though he was fine with the work, his guys weren't.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-07-2013, 08:45 PM
williams lcm williams lcm is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: orlando fl
Posts: 766
Some company's may not want you to make this mowing operation a 2 day event. They want you in and out as quickly as possible so you do not get in the way of employees and they don't have to hear equipment running days at a time. I really don't like to be low bidder because then you kick yourself in the foot months down the road. I have done some amazing work for doctors offices but have yet to receive a call from the doctors to cut their personnel property. It could happen though. Good luck and happy bidding
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-07-2013, 08:45 PM
Armsden&Son Armsden&Son is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: adirondacks, NY
Posts: 1,816
He was actually joking.... Cutless Granular is actually a new product that helps stunt the growth of shrubs and bushes... It's actually really, really cool technology if you are into that sort of thing... Hey there Chilihead... big follower of your posts and threads and stuff... I am a solo op as well. Been in the industry for about 15 years working for an established company but I am now running my own business and boy does it feel awesome. I gotta say man, I give you such props! Your website is topnotch as well as your work and you give solo ops like me hope to be able to make it on my own without hiring.... I feel that you need to be a certain type of person to be a successful solo op. Sure, there are tons out there but usually they are just guys mowing for beer money or "just mowing." I really like how you offer the full gamut as I do too. I notice you do a lot of hardscapes and installs.... Do you find it difficult to fit it all in some weeks? Your maintenance stuff, your projects, your applications?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-07-2013, 11:32 PM
Chilehead's Avatar
Chilehead Chilehead is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Stockbridge, GA
Posts: 1,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsden&Son View Post
He was actually joking.... Cutless Granular is actually a new product that helps stunt the growth of shrubs and bushes... It's actually really, really cool technology if you are into that sort of thing... Hey there Chilihead... big follower of your posts and threads and stuff... I am a solo op as well. Been in the industry for about 15 years working for an established company but I am now running my own business and boy does it feel awesome. I gotta say man, I give you such props! Your website is topnotch as well as your work and you give solo ops like me hope to be able to make it on my own without hiring.... I feel that you need to be a certain type of person to be a successful solo op. Sure, there are tons out there but usually they are just guys mowing for beer money or "just mowing." I really like how you offer the full gamut as I do too. I notice you do a lot of hardscapes and installs.... Do you find it difficult to fit it all in some weeks? Your maintenance stuff, your projects, your applications?
Many thanks, and congrads on your venture. Hardscapes are usually scheduled for the winter--it would be too crammed during maintenance season.
__________________


Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. --Leonardo da Vinci

http://integritylawnpro.com
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-07-2013, 11:43 PM
herler herler is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,383
If I'm wondering whether I need to bump it up or down that's a clue that I don't know exactly how to bid it.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-08-2013, 07:26 PM
Armsden&Son Armsden&Son is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: adirondacks, NY
Posts: 1,816
Darn you and your Georgia Weather!!!!! I wasn't realizing where you were from when I posted that. And I would have to agree with one of the other posters... By the looks of your work and website, you already have a great name.... You don't need to get into a bidding war and drop your price just to get this account (big, national name or not) Unless, you are just waiting for the right time to set up a crew.... I did see the employment section on your website. If you haven't hired yet but are planning to, going out of your comfort zone on bids for this account might work out for you. You really plan on opening the flood gates if you land this account huh?
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-08-2013, 07:34 PM
White Gardens's Avatar
White Gardens White Gardens is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bloomington IL
Posts: 6,765
3750 a month.


.....
__________________
White Gardens On Facebook.......WG Thread......Greencare For Troops......... mywhitegardens.com(under construction)

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-09-2013, 08:32 PM
Chilehead's Avatar
Chilehead Chilehead is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Stockbridge, GA
Posts: 1,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsden&Son View Post
You really plan on opening the flood gates if you land this account huh?
Yes, sir!
Well, today was the big day. When I arrived at 10:00 am, I was met by an executive director who took me on a tour of the grounds in a golf cart. I noted things that needed done along the way in addition to what they wanted. Their executive board of directors will know who they want to go with in 2 weeks or so. Once I get an answer who the bid winner is, I will divulge the customer's identity.
__________________


Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. --Leonardo da Vinci

http://integritylawnpro.com
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-09-2013, 09:17 PM
gcbailey's Avatar
gcbailey gcbailey is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: southern WV
Posts: 1,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilehead View Post
Yes, sir!
Well, today was the big day. When I arrived at 10:00 am, I was met by an executive director who took me on a tour of the grounds in a golf cart. I noted things that needed done along the way in addition to what they wanted. Their executive board of directors will know who they want to go with in 2 weeks or so. Once I get an answer who the bid winner is, I will divulge the customer's identity.
Good luck!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:56 AM.

Page generated in 0.08271 seconds with 7 queries