Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-11-2013, 02:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennymo81 View Post
I used the Ex mark commercial 30 as my main mower along with my Honda hrx 21 for the majority of the year until I traded it away for a 32. First off it all depends what type of accounts you have. I have mostly bi-weekly cuts so for me, this was not a good mower. It struggled to mulch anything. Once it chokes out, it leaves massive clumps of grass on the turf. I found a compromise. It performed great side discharging with the discharge chute off. It kept clogging with the discharge chute on. It was very durable and easy to work on. Easy to maneuver. You get used to the weight. I never experienced tranny issues. It will not contour to the ground like a 21 so as a trim mower its just OK. Cut quality is better than a 21 and worse than a 32. I knew that I had to get rid of it before Fall because I knew there was no way this thing was goimg to handle leaf mulching. Just does not have the power. The mower would be so much better with a more powerful engine. If they upgraded the engine, I would buy it again. Sometimes I miss it, most times I don't. Also I've used both the ex mark 30 and the residential timemaster. The commercial is worth the extra $. Don't buy if you have bi-weekly cuts! I would even look at the World lawn 28 with the 11 HP Honda. I see them all over where I'm at. I really don't care if its made in China or not. I blame U.S. companies for being stuck up and not stepping up to the plate as far as what we want. If Toro or Ex mark would have listened and put a more powerful engine on the thing in the first place, I wouldn't even have brought up world lawn. I also blame the major American Companies for making mowers unaffordable. Do you really need to charge over $5000 for a hydro walk behind. So don't cry when the Chinese come in and steal your business when your being greedy. If I could do it all over again. I would have bought a 32 wb or a 28 World lawn. I can't get over how overpriced some of these comapnies are and how stubborn. How many years have we been asking for a 32 dual hydro adjustable deck. We never get it. World lawn will probobly make it.
Posted via Mobile Device
I hear you about the need for a 32" hydro with adjustable deck. Ever since I sold my 33" residential mower because of cut quality I have regretted getting rid of it. I used it on some fenced in yards where the grandstand would not fit. Now I just turn down those sort of yards now. There are many single gates in my area where a 32" is the biggest mower that will fit. I really wanted to like the toro/exmark 30
but I cannot get over the negatives. I would probably get the timemaster as it is lighter and more agile if I would go that route. I looked at a used 32" redhawk and a new 32" snapper pro this summer. The snapper is a viable option except it is belt driven. The mower most suitable for my application is the 32" single hydro Ferris with easy adjustable deck. A single hydro on a 32" would not be bad. The only negative is the price tag on a mower that will be used sparingly.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-11-2013, 02:47 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Lawnsaspire, Did you get an Exmark...? How are you liking the TimeMaster...?

My electric start failed finally. I suspect seized bearing. No female employees for now so pull start only works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnsaspire View Post
All you need to do is read that other thread entitled "pulled the trigger new ex mark for me". It answers all the questions u are asking and doesn't go off topic
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-11-2013, 04:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
Lawnsaspire, Did you get an Exmark...? How are you liking the TimeMaster...?

My electric start failed finally. I suspect seized bearing. No female employees for now so pull start only works.

Posted via Mobile Device
Not yet waiting to see if they announce updates at the lawn expo this month and what my Scags engine is going to do. I agree and concur with the earlier poster about overpriced mowers. No way these 30 inch mowers should cost 2 grand. But i lIke the time master so far and plan to weed out my larger yards over time and take on smaller yards with the 30 in mind. The lawn market for mowers I believe will eventually make it close to impossible to operate with big outfits and rigs. Not to mention fuel prices.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-11-2013, 05:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnsaspire View Post
Not yet waiting to see if they announce updates at the lawn expo this month and what my Scags engine is going to do. I agree and concur with the earlier poster about overpriced mowers. No way these 30 inch mowers should cost 2 grand. But i lIke the time master so far and plan to weed out my larger yards over time and take on smaller yards with the 30 in mind. The lawn market for mowers I believe will eventually make it close to impossible to operate with big outfits and rigs. Not to mention fuel prices.
Posted via Mobile Device
Speaking of which, will equip showcased at the expo be available for purchase this fall?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-11-2013, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ive been happy with the exmark 30 overall. here in west texas, the wet grass isn't a factor most of the time because we don't get enough rain...LOL.

The exmark 30 excels on the small to medium sized properties. its good on gas, and I fill it at the beginning of each day and havent run out of gas yet. I have a handful of gates on properties, and this is the absolute biggest mower that will fit through them. I bought the mulch kit, but never put it on. Why you may ask....because the ability to switch quickly from bagger to mulcher is huge. A few things to remember; turn the fuel valve off after each mowing job and that will prevent the carb problems. The drive cable will need to be adjusted numerous times, but this is a simple 5 minute adjustment and its done up by the handle which is easy access. The belt tension may have to be adjusted a few times a season also. I removed the cover twice this season, and cleaned out all the gunk that was in there.

I've had the drive cable fail once, and it was replaced under warranty. I also had a problem with the carb leaking gas...and it too was fixed. I attributed it to the fact that I didn't turn the fuel valve off after each mowing, and the dry dusty conditions caused the needle valve to not close properly im guessing. Id rate the mower a 4 out of 5. The drive system on hills could be a bit better, and a little more horsepower would be nice too for the thick stuff.

That's about it.
2012 21" Honda HRC-216 mower
2013 Exmark Commercial 30#1
2013 Exmark Commercial 30#2
2014 Exmark Lazer Z S Series EFI 52
Mclane 25" Reel Mower
2010 Husqvarna 21" mower
2008 Stihl FS250R Trimmer
2010 Stihl FS90R Trimmer
200? Stihl FC75 Edger
2013 Stihl BR 600 Blower
2013 Stihl HS81 t Hedge Trimmer
2014 Stihl SH 86 C E Blower Vac
2014 Stihl KM130R edger and trimmer shafts
200? Billy Goat AE550 Core Aerator
Old 10-11-2013, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Member

We have three exmark 30's and it's been a great buy for us. We really like them. Thet cut great, easy to teach people to use them, easy to switch from discharge, mulch, to bagging. We cut half acre lawns and down on a weekly basis. We started mulching leaves with them and so far really surprised how well they mulch leaves. They are not good on hills. They are not under powered, but alittle more horse power would be nice. They really save on gas and they are very easy to turn. I really like the wheels on them. Easy to switch hts on the mowers. I would give them a 4 plus out of five. Any one else out there mulching leaves yet with them? Please let me know what you think. I've been really impressed so far!
Old 10-11-2013, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Man I tell you, I really like this machine. Leaves a nice clean cut, stripes nice, mulches pretty good, mulches leaves great, cuts down on time over a 21", bag is HUGE and is super user friendly. Only complaint is being not so great on hills, can't win em all!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-11-2013, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressedun View Post
Man I tell you, I really like this machine. Leaves a nice clean cut, stripes nice, mulches pretty good, mulches leaves great, cuts down on time over a 21", bag is HUGE and is super user friendly. Only complaint is being not so great on hills, can't win em all!
Posted via Mobile Device
Pressedun, I just realized you have even more posts than Topsites of old. You wouldn't leave us astray on this subject.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-14-2013, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Member

I have both the timemaster an turfmaster. Both good machines for what they are. I did however had a mechanical issue with the turfmaster as after 5 months of using it the training went out. Dealer fixed under warranty and feels better then new. If I had to do it all over again I would have bought another timemaster and saved the money. No issues what so eve with the timemaster. But I would have to give the turfmaster a 4/5. It's a good machine. Not sure if I would buy again though
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-14-2013, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDesign Landscaping View Post
I have both the timemaster an turfmaster. Both good machines for what they are. I did however had a mechanical issue with the turfmaster as after 5 months of using it the training went out. Dealer fixed under warranty and feels better then new. If I had to do it all over again I would have bought another timemaster and saved the money. No issues what so eve with the timemaster. But I would have to give the turfmaster a 4/5. It's a good machine. Not sure if I would buy again though
Posted via Mobile Device
TimeMaster engine is slightly bigger in displacement...so have you found it to have more grunt when running the same blades.
Posted via Mobile Device