Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-12-2013, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgreenspro View Post
guys, if I could, aside from the quality of plugs/ less damage these machines produce, how much time are we talking about to do one acre/ flat with a couple of trees on average? Thanks
I will guess about 30 minutes on average. Anybody else?
Old 10-12-2013, 05:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoxtrot9 View Post
I truly love my eXmark stand on aerator. It is indeed worth every penny, and it has already paid for itself... twice.

Larry, what would you improve? I have a couple things, I suppose. I would like to see that larger foot pedal. I would like if the tines up/down was just a bit faster, maybe a cup holder, but I'm just nit picking.

Oh, and I have too, taken gates off just to fit into back yards. Yes, it does a better job, but its also just so dang fast and effortless. Its funny that I now dread using my LS walk behind. I remember when I first bought it, how happy I was. Spoiled.
Hi buddy -- I will hold off making suggestions for changes/improvements. I have only used the machine for 10 days. Our Exmark only has 26 hours on it. Been averaging about 2 lawns per hour. Many variables -- especially drive time. My side kick gets bored cuz he has very little trimming to do with the XT5. He spends most of his time lifting up downspouts, repairing my turf damage, and using a plastic snow shovel to remove the plugs from the driveway & walks, and visiting with the homeowner as they admire the Exmark in action. Four customers (so far) have even called our office telling us how very pleased they were with the results/quality of work. Since 1990, we never got this kind of response (before using the Exmark stand on).
Old 10-12-2013, 06:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanlawn View Post
I will guess about 30 minutes on average. Anybody else?
That number really surprises me. In your 26 engine hours so far have you aerated anywhere near 52 acres? I realize subdivision yards would bring that efficiency number down. How many acres does a set of tines last?

It does sound like an awesome machine.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreplease View Post
That number really surprises me. In your 26 engine hours so far have you aerated anywhere near 52 acres? I realize subdivision yards would bring that efficiency number down. How many acres does a set of tines last?

I aerated 1.2 acres single pass in 49 minutes. I have only rented a toro but intend to purchase one soon. I was shocked at how quick it was and how well it worked
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-12-2013, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I did a football field in about an hour and was pulling awesome plugs. My helper blew the hydro drive belt at 107 hrs. It takes an A37 belt which is 39 inches long. Once I know how to do it it should take about 30 to 45 minutes to change. It is an awesome machine. Honestly, I would not be aerating if I did not have this machine.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-12-2013, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That is impressive guys!
Old 10-13-2013, 05:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You can remove the fixed idler pulley and drop to a 36 belt will extend the life of the belt. Fyi
Quote:
Originally Posted by FdLLawnMan View Post
I did a football field in about an hour and was pulling awesome plugs. My helper blew the hydro drive belt at 107 hrs. It takes an A37 belt which is 39 inches long. Once I know how to do it it should take about 30 to 45 minutes to change. It is an awesome machine. Honestly, I would not be aerating if I did not have this machine.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-13-2013, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RABBITMAN11 View Post
You can remove the fixed idler pulley and drop to a 36 belt will extend the life of the belt. Fyi
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks buddy. Good to know. Before I bought my Exmark aerator, I asked my dealer if it had a standard rubber belt or a Kevlar belt. He told me the Exmark has a Kevlar belt. After I bought the machine, I crawled underneath. Looked like a rubber belt (cuz Kevlar belts have a blue tint).

Question: Do Toro/Exmark stand-on aerators come with Kevlar belts or rubber belts?

We replaced all rubber belts on our T3000's with Kevlar belts cuz they are more durable. On the main drive belt, we initially bypassed the idler pulley cuz the belt was tight then, but after 3 or 4 weeks, the belt stretched enough to where we had to run it with the (spring loaded) idler pulley.

I swear by Kevlar belts. Longer lasting.

Nice thread. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Needs to be a gates high speed high temp belt very important other belts will not hold up. I have been through this machine from top to bottom. Save your self some headache
Quote:
Originally Posted by americanlawn View Post
Thanks buddy. Good to know. Before I bought my Exmark aerator, I asked my dealer if it had a standard rubber belt or a Kevlar belt. He told me the Exmark has a Kevlar belt. After I bought the machine, I crawled underneath. Looked like a rubber belt (cuz Kevlar belts have a blue tint).

Question: Do Toro/Exmark stand-on aerators come with Kevlar belts or rubber belts?

We replaced all rubber belts on our T3000's with Kevlar belts cuz they are more durable. On the main drive belt, we initially bypassed the idler pulley cuz the belt was tight then, but after 3 or 4 weeks, the belt stretched enough to where we had to run it with the (spring loaded) idler pulley.

I swear by Kevlar belts. Longer lasting.

Nice thread. Thanks in advance.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-13-2013, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreplease View Post

Been averaging 9 aerations per day. Doing irrigated lawns before they get winterized so they can flag the heads. This meant the daily route was not very tight. All irrigated lawns have been aerated now. Will begin aerating non-irrigated lawns tomorrow (tighter routes).

Largest lawn was 54,000 s/f. Then 34,000, etc. Nearly all lawns have exceeded 10,000 s/f. About 90 lawns total. I usually go half speed when aerating the edges. Then I make 2 or 3 passes around all perimeters. Once I get all the perimeters aerated, I open it up to full throttle. Slow going is around trees, landscaping, fences, walks, driveways. Aerating while turning = you have to go slow or back up, aerate, back up, and drop the tines again. Always having to watch how soft the soil is. Otherwise you get tear up of turf.
Another thing I have to do: adjust the depth several times on each property. (soft areas vs dry areas). This slows me down too. I make sure I do every job as perfect as I can. 9 lawns per day is not impressive, but I always feel good when I leave the invoice on the door.

I still have suggestions on how to improve the machine. Even though it's the best aerator on the market.