Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-13-2013, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Just don't get a Honda Ridgeline,LOL.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-13-2013, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

man, i hate to be on the negative side here but there simply is NO diesel out there getting 24 MPG pulling a trailer...MAYBE a 12 valve cummins going down hill...stop looking at the dash readout and hand calculate it...my dash says 18, i'm actually getting 13.5

and what's wrong with the 6.4? i have 126,000 on mine and the only two things i have had to replace is the radiator and alternator...i'll definitely take that, they are eventually going to have something wrong with them at some point, no matter what make or model

i also have tuned my truck with the spartan tuner, 275 tune...one of the fastest diesels i have ever been in, most potential out of any stock diesels on the road to tune

i'm partial to fords by far, but my company owns all three...i like GM the least, but that's mainly because of comfort and looks...however, i would say they could possibly be the best built with fewest problems, diesel or gas, GM has the best track record...i just hate to spend 35k on a truck that doesn't look as good as a ford and doesn't have the interior the ford does

we have dodges too, great cummins engines wrapped in a terrible truck...rust is terrible on the dodges and the interiors just fall apart

our most recent purchase is a GMC TopKick...having a bed built for it right now so can't say how reliable it is, but i'm optimistic given their track record...can't wait to use it
Old 10-13-2013, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alldayrj View Post
Ford with the 6.0 dizzle. Can't beat the purchase price either!
ha, yeah the purchase price on a 6.0 is awesome...unfortunately there is a reason for that...have you had good look with the 6.0('s)? have you bulletproofed the engine? some have really good luck with the 6.0, some don't...ironically i just talked to a guy the other day who swears by them and would buy another in a heartbeat
Old 10-14-2013, 02:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbell36 View Post
man, i hate to be on the negative side here but there simply is NO diesel out there getting 24 MPG pulling a trailer...MAYBE a 12 valve cummins going down hill...stop looking at the dash readout and hand calculate it...my dash says 18, i'm actually getting 13.5

and what's wrong with the 6.4? i have 126,000 on mine and the only two things i have had to replace is the radiator and alternator...i'll definitely take that, they are eventually going to have something wrong with them at some point, no matter what make or model

i also have tuned my truck with the spartan tuner, 275 tune...one of the fastest diesels i have ever been in, most potential out of any stock diesels on the road to tune

i'm partial to fords by far, but my company owns all three...i like GM the least, but that's mainly because of comfort and looks...however, i would say they could possibly be the best built with fewest problems, diesel or gas, GM has the best track record...i just hate to spend 35k on a truck that doesn't look as good as a ford and doesn't have the interior the ford does

we have dodges too, great cummins engines wrapped in a terrible truck...rust is terrible on the dodges and the interiors just fall apart

our most recent purchase is a GMC TopKick...having a bed built for it right now so can't say how reliable it is, but i'm optimistic given their track record...can't wait to use it

That is a hand calculation. I never go off the dash readout. With EFI LIVE and the other mods done to it. I have no trouble averaging that mileage. And as far as quickness I blow the doors off vettes and mustangs daily.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-14-2013, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The 6.4 is fine if you can handle the poor fuel mileage while it is in regen mode. Or when it gets stuck in regen mode and shreds the engine.
Shindaiwa t-270, eb-630
Scag giant vac w/ 18 hp vanguard
Redmax 8500
Old 10-14-2013, 02:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

dodge hemi crew cab short bed avg near 20 w/trailer.

2013 Dodge Quad cab w/hemi
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 Extened Cab
Toro ZMaster 400series
MTD PRO 48"
Kaufman 5x10 w/sides
Landscapers Trailer 12x6.5 w/side gate
Echo PAS multi tool
Various other Echo hand helds
Little Giant HPV Vac
Troy Bilt Horse RotoTiller
Honda Mini Cultivator
JD 170
Toro 21"
Old 10-14-2013, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuttingEdgeLandscapes View Post
That is a hand calculation. I never go off the dash readout. With EFI LIVE and the other mods done to it. I have no trouble averaging that mileage. And as far as quickness I blow the doors off vettes and mustangs daily.
Posted via Mobile Device
24 is impressive, but i would have to see it to believe it...i know my 6.4 will never get anywhere close to that, unfortunately, even tuned...before the tuner i was getting 11.5

what year and engine is your duramax?
Old 10-14-2013, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
24 is impressive, but i would have to see it to believe it...i know my 6.4 will never get anywhere close to that, unfortunately, even tuned...before the tuner i was getting 11.5

It's an '01. The LB7. It's for sale on here. But I hate to get rid of it with everything that's done to it
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-15-2013, 12:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:

your 6.4 can get that. mine can. do a cold air intake, and egr/dpf delete. and buy a tuner that has emissions control and turn off regen. it will give you around 10mpg better.

It has nearly doubled my fuel mileage since I did that and it has a ton more power.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuttingEdgeLandscapes View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Me thinks you guys are exaggerating a little.