Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-09-2013, 05:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will P.C. View Post
The company Scotts does a nice job around my immediate area and have a decent market share. They run a hell of a marketing and advertising campaign. The ad they play on the screen at Turner Field for their Turf Builder fert is pretty convincing. They have the benefit of major brand recognition since whole isles at homedepot and the like are filled with there products.
Advertising works, irrigation works, but the 7 Step Program gets all the credit... If that is what people want to waste their money on that is fine, but we're talking about wannabees that don't even imagine what that bag is doing to their turf in July...
Old 10-09-2013, 05:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Big brown areas sounds like grubs. Otherwise, it could be disease...it needs a good diagnosis.
If you don't know the signs of insects, disease and dry grass--consult an expert.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

could be the properties turf was loaded with crabgrass this summer,
and its now nosed dived and browning out, we have not had a killing frost in my area yet, but the crab is mostly all brown now,

ive noticed driving around ALOT of lawns (none mine) loaded with dead crab and are ugly and browning now

there was a good crop of crab here this year, attribute to late spring heavy rains

not sure on your area, just a thought
Old 10-09-2013, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Not sure where you are in PA, but in my area of PA we had a VERY wet Summer.

When I was able to get to them, I cut EVERY week from April through August.

I should have added at least one more round of fertilization. And looking back, another round of Dimension for the bumper crop of crabgrass that was fed by the rain. This rain also leached out ALL crabgrass preventers and allowed breakthrough on ALL properties that only saw one application.

Now, back to my point....Here is my theory....

With everything raining and green right through July/August, I and many others opted out of applying a grub application. I saw no Japanese beetles at all this year!

Well, somehow we have grubs now. It's pretty widespread. I think they were masked by the rains.

Wet and cool all summer, then September came and went with almost NO rain and hot heat. I skipped cutting 3 weeks since Sept 1st!!!

So we have a root system used to frequent light rains all summer, and then bammo...no rain. Throw in grubs, and even cicada killer holes all over the place and you have HORRIBLE looking lawns!

Sorry to ramble...but if any of this sounds familiar, I think my theory may be correct.
2006 Hustler SuperZ 28EFI 60" Power Chute Design OCDC SOLD!
Perma-green Magnum
1996 48" SCAG Belt WB 14hp Kawasaki Classic Deck
Echo 2 strokes PB-755 & SRM 280
Eastman WM20H 20" Commercial Push mower (NEW for 2013)
Commercial Lawnboy trim mower 3-FOR SALE!http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=424203
Solo since 1980
Old 10-09-2013, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Big brown areas sounds like grubs. Otherwise, it could be disease...it needs a good diagnosis.
If you don't know the signs of insects, disease and dry grass--consult an expert.
Consult an expert? I know what the difference is, and I am diagnosing it. But all of the customers had one thing in common - Scott's step treatments and/or TruGreen/Lawn Doctor. Thus the title of the threat and the original question, 'Anyone else experiencing this?' Kick rocks.

www.legoservices.com
Four years in...

Equipment..

It doesn't matter. I just like cutting grass ..
Old 10-09-2013, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLS View Post
Not sure where you are in PA, but in my area of PA we had a VERY wet Summer.

When I was able to get to them, I cut EVERY week from April through August.

I should have added at least one more round of fertilization. And looking back, another round of Dimension for the bumper crop of crabgrass that was fed by the rain. This rain also leached out ALL crabgrass preventers and allowed breakthrough on ALL properties that only saw one application.

Now, back to my point....Here is my theory....

With everything raining and green right through July/August, I and many others opted out of applying a grub application. I saw no Japanese beetles at all this year!

Well, somehow we have grubs now. It's pretty widespread. I think they were masked by the rains.

Wet and cool all summer, then September came and went with almost NO rain and hot heat. I skipped cutting 3 weeks since Sept 1st!!!

So we have a root system used to frequent light rains all summer, and then bammo...no rain. Throw in grubs, and even cicada killer holes all over the place and you have HORRIBLE looking lawns!

Sorry to ramble...but if any of this sounds familiar, I think my theory may be correct.
I have the same weather here.
Some of my lawns have grubs, but they look fine.
I did check for grubs & the customer told me he applied a grub treatment. I honestly think he just put to much chemicals down trying to fix the problem and ended up making it worse.

But ... being as I have been finding alot of grubs in various yards, your theory may be a good one.

Speaking of grubs, did you see something on the news talking about they had some kind of disease? I missed it but heard about it.

www.legoservices.com
Four years in...

Equipment..

It doesn't matter. I just like cutting grass ..
Old 10-09-2013, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLS View Post

Japanese Beetles are no longer the dominant grub species in our area and therefore are not a good indicator of grub problems. Additional species include European chafer, oriental beetle, and asiatic garden beetle. High soil moisture in early July makes it easy for adult beetles to lay eggs & increases their survival rate.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 10-09-2013, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I was just saying in another thread how nice it would be if Extension Offices condemned the use of 'N' during certain times of the year when 'N' might actually causing damage... Like July,,, when the grass is semi-dormant from the heat or maybe completely dormant from drought...

smallaxe, I have yet to see any publication from our Extension Offices that recommend applying N in July. Quite the contrary, their recommendation call for 2-3 fert apps annually, 2 in the fall and 1 in late spring.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 10-10-2013, 12:08 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
This year it seems that the Late August feeding could very well be my 'Winterizer' becuz I see there are still 'fertilizer prills' in the grass as I'm blowing leaves...
I don't know what you put down in late August - Milorganite? - or at what rate, but I would like to see you hit it again with something. I remember you were talking about Milorganite at 1/2# N around the end of summer. Perhaps Ammonium Sulfate if the weather is cold. Better yet, something with a lot of potassium heading into winter. I amusing 22-0-22 fwiw. At 70% PPSCU it is more slow release than I would like but I only have one place left to do.

It would be much easier to decide if we knew what the weather from mid-April to mid-May has in store for us huh?

Last edited by foreplease; 10-10-2013 at 12:12 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 10-10-2013, 07:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasthound View Post
smallaxe, I have yet to see any publication from our Extension Offices that recommend applying N in July. Quite the contrary, their recommendation call for 2-3 fert apps annually, 2 in the fall and 1 in late spring.
I would like to see them condemn heat of summer application... That is a big difference fromnot recommending... if this h.o. had heard the condemnation and saw consequences then maybe it would click and maybe it would be a focus for problems in the turf... plz note the difference...

Grubs and fungus instead of drought... I've never had any real problems with either, but I see brown grass from lack of water all the time...and what kind of 'cides are in the 'turfbuilder'??? they probably quickened the demise as well...

Perhaps if the heat of summer applications were actively condemned people might start to think about why these things happen...