Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-09-2013, 09:14 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

click your heels three time and tell aunty Em you wanna go home.
Old 10-09-2013, 03:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i have a good relationship with several lco's but others i wouldnt even give the time of day to. I have some that will help me out, loan equipment etc. But most talk is related to equipment, how busy we are keeping any current events big jobs coming up etc. We arent real competitive I have four customers in the same neighborhood one LCO lives in but that doesnt concern either of us. I also have another LCO cut in the neighborhood I live in...just figure its whats best for them...if they need me I am available otherwise i can keep busy without them

2013 Dodge Quad cab w/hemi
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 Extened Cab
Toro ZMaster 400series
MTD PRO 48"
Kaufman 5x10 w/sides
Landscapers Trailer 12x6.5 w/side gate
Echo PAS multi tool
Various other Echo hand helds
Little Giant HPV Vac
Troy Bilt Horse RotoTiller
Honda Mini Cultivator
JD 170
Toro 21"
Old 10-09-2013, 04:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The LCO I see at gas stations or whereever else talking crap about X company or griping about some frivoulos thing usually look like they just got out the joint. I wouldnt even put them in the same class as business owners. Nothing about there appearance or equipment would even indicate they are nothing more than a guy with a truck and mower.

Had a 40 something ex con looking guy reeking of booze approach me today who had a cheapo pressure washer and truck. He went through the usual BS how he doesn't skimp on chemicals, other companys suck, and he does such a good job that he puts himself out of business. He then proceeds to pull out a wad of money in his front pocket which was meant to impress me. It was a bunch of sweaty crumpled up ones and receipts.

Regardless, it is not a good look for anyone to go around bashing local competition. Real businessmen network.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

That's right, so long I complain enough about lowballing sooner or later someone will shoot out a few slightly higher prices and that means more customers for me!!! You get it, you price higher, you lose customers. Simple math, works all around, even if you never lowball I just make you aware of it, maybe it doesn't affect you, or maybe it does.

Yup, lets talk about lowballing and how bad it is, works great.

And if you understand that you know why I don't bother talking to most Lco's out there.
I never know where they're coming from, are they being helpful or is their advice going to trip me up?
Once you get to know somebody it's not so bad, but I still find myself picking my friends.

Last edited by herler; 10-09-2013 at 06:07 PM.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronmg View Post
I fill there tanks with sugar... but anyway I think it's the part timers that are bringing this business down...
I agree
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-10-2013, 01:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I try to avoid talking to competitors in my area at all costs. Keep my head down and work hard, in a quality and friendly manner. Thats what I do. I have no interest yakking with the competition while they A) tell me how many huge accounts they have, or B) tell me how cheap everyone else is, or C) tell me that they would do a better job than I would/tell me what I am doing wrong. Why do I need to hear any of that crap?
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 10-10-2013, 02:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I said it 100 times, "low ballers" have no effect on me. There is enough work to go around. I am not interested in the type of customer that shops for a lawn service based on price alone.

Old 10-14-2013, 03:43 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
I said it 100 times, "low ballers" have no effect on me. There is enough work to go around. I am not interested in the type of customer that shops for a lawn service based on price alone.
My neighbor is one of them. They found someone who does this part time that charges then half per cut that i would. Does this bother me? No, I'm friends with the guy. There are customers who want good/excellent service, then there are those who just want there grass cut. I don't want the ones that shop for the lowest price. That's just me. There's nothing wrong with that though. That just doesn't fit in with my business model/plan.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-14-2013, 09:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't understand how part-timers are bringing the business down. There are a lot of PTers around here (on lawnsite), most of whom seem to do reputable work, based on pictures I've seen. Although my LCO work averages a little over 40 hrs/wk I still have an office job so I guess you could call me a PTer. I'm finishing up my 16th year in the business. When I started there was only one large LCO in the area. Now there are more than a dozen. I'm sure there are plenty of part-timers around my town complaining how the big guys are bringing their business down.

I started out 16 years ago by helping an elderly neighbor, but then realized his cleaning service was getting paid, so I should be too. My phone started ringing off the hook. Over the years I've had to downsize twice because there weren't enough hours in the day. I have no remorse because the big guys don't have all the work they want. I do quality work and have never, not once, had a complaint. I keep a 300K GL policy and pay taxes on my earnings. I charge fair prices, mow only when it needs it, and my customers know me and trust me.

If I'm causing any harm to the large LCOs in town...well, I don't feel bad about it.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:59 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddyshack Lawn Care View Post
I don't understand how part-timers are bringing the business down. There are a lot of PTers around here (on lawnsite), most of whom seem to do reputable work, based on pictures I've seen. Although my LCO work averages a little over 40 hrs/wk I still have an office job so I guess you could call me a PTer. I'm finishing up my 16th year in the business. When I started there was only one large LCO in the area. Now there are more than a dozen. I'm sure there are plenty of part-timers around my town complaining how the big guys are bringing their business down.

I started out 16 years ago by helping an elderly neighbor, but then realized his cleaning service was getting paid, so I should be too. My phone started ringing off the hook. Over the years I've had to downsize twice because there weren't enough hours in the day. I have no remorse because the big guys don't have all the work they want. I do quality work and have never, not once, had a complaint. I keep a 300K GL policy and pay taxes on my earnings. I charge fair prices, mow only when it needs it, and my customers know me and trust me.

If I'm causing any harm to the large LCOs in town...well, I don't feel bad about it.
Well said.