Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-09-2013, 06:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Good, Solid mower for non-commercial use prices & recommendations

Hey guys, can someone recommend a solid, heavy duty mower that will last without being a 10k commercial unit?

My uncle wants a good, solid zero-turn to mow at his farms with (he has 3 cabins with large yards, 3+ acres each), but doesn't want to pay high dollar for a top of the line commercial mower, like a Lazer Z or Turf Tiger, for instance.

Anyone know what a 52" or 60" Exmark Pioneer runs for? This is the level of mower he is looking at. Give me some recommendations, brand doesn't matter. It does have to be American made though, no Chinese junk.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Would he consider a JD select X series tractor. They come in 48-54-60 inch decks, full serviceable hydro static commercial Kawi engine and he could put some more attachments on it if he needed. They leave a good cut and are very easy to maneuver around.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-09-2013, 06:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think he wants a zero-turn. He has tractors already. He has money, just somewhat tight with it. He is replacing a POS homeowner Dixon zero-turn that has been broken since the day he bought it. Ever since I brought up my Lazer Z to mow his place, he has wanted a better one.

But he thinks a top-of-the-line mower would be overkill for him. He will probably put 100 hours on it max per year.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Member

I would suggest looking at a Gravely, or Simplicity, or even a Worldlawn. I started out with a mid-grade residential gravely 48" Z-turn with Kohler motor and has over 1100 hours and still runs like a tank. I also own a worldlawn and a simplicity. Both of those are fantastic mowers(I really favor the simplicity) My simplicity is fast comfy (full suspension system and large seat) and overall built very well. For the money i would recommend one of those three but i would suggest which dealer around you has the best service to get you parts if needed(unless you do maintenance yourself). Best of Luck and keep us updated on your decision.

52" Simplicity Citation
48" Gravely
48" Worldlawn Cobra
All Stihl Handhelds
2006 Ram 1500 4x4
14' Enclosed Trailer
16' Open Trailer
10' Open Trailer

Do what you love & Love what you do
Old 10-09-2013, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm part of the group of people that will tell you to strongly consider buying a good low hour used (fully) commercial grade mower (as opposed to a new lower quality mower). I believe that more times than not, if you do your homework and look carefully at what you're buying, you'll come out ahead using this logic.

But, machines are machines, and they will have problems from time to time regardless of the name on the mower. Some old mowers seem to go on forever, while some new mowers seem to stay in the shop more than on the grass. And, sometimes it's the other way around.

I do realize however that some people (especially if they aren't capable of doing small repairs and routine maintenance) won't consider buying anything new, so it's just a matter of personal preference.

Good luck, and have fun looking! :-)
Stan

Last edited by StanWilhite; 10-09-2013 at 11:23 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-10-2013, 01:58 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanWilhite View Post
I'm part of the group of people that will tell you to strongly consider buying a good low hour used (fully) commercial grade mower (as opposed to a new lower quality mower). I believe that more times than not, if you do your homework and look carefully at what you're buying, you'll come out ahead using this logic.

But, machines are machines, and they will have problems from time to time regardless of the name on the mower. Some old mowers seem to go on forever, while some new mowers seem to stay in the shop more than on the grass. And, sometimes it's the other way around.

I do realize however that some people (especially if they aren't capable of doing small repairs and routine maintenance) won't consider buying anything new, so it's just a matter of personal preference.

Good luck, and have fun looking! :-)
Stan
I meant to say "won't consider buying anything used". It's been a long day.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:07 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I think he can get a 52" Gravely for around 7-8
Old 10-10-2013, 11:40 AM
LawnSite Member

Have him check out the Ferris IS500Z. It runs around $6000, and is considered the "prosumer" model, not quite commercial grade, but better than most homeowner's models. If he has any back issues, the suspension on the Ferris is great. I used to mow with a regular lawn tractor, and by the end of the day, my back was killing me. With the Ferris, I have no issues at all.
Old 10-10-2013, 12:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Toro

Anyone know what a 52" or 60" Exmark Pioneer runs for? This is the level of mower he is looking at. Give me some recommendations, brand doesn't matter. It does have to be American made though, no Chinese junk.[/QUOTE]

The Toro Titan is a bro to the pioneer... they run 4999.00-6499.00 I would recommend he get the Titan MX if he is interested in the Toro. the Titan ZX is a little lighter and not quite the ride of the MX. The prices i listed are from 48"-60"
Old 10-10-2013, 06:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Has he checked out Snapper Pro?