Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-19-2013, 01:33 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Here they are all together, for a good, one image comparison. The original is at the top.

My own preference is the middle option as I think it's a better balance.

(By the way, no offense taken, if you don't like the recommendations, or intended, since I'm making them on my own. I think this is more of a good learning exercise for everyone as to how various design elements work together. It's a trouble spot many have when looking at their own web sites. Really no different than a good landscaping install. )
Attached Images

Old 12-19-2013, 01:54 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek View Post
For kicks, here's the menu below the logo banner. I don't personally have a preference either way. By minimizing that banner stripe, it helps to better compliment the top menu location. So...to summarize, the banner stripe size seems to be what's throwing off the Feng Shui of your site...or something like that.
Maybe something as simple as a black backdrop for the menu text would allow it to stand out. On my logo box rounding the ends would help. Less blocky looking since it's over the picture with geometric corners.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 12-19-2013, 02:04 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Changes:
- larger menu font and changed to white
- narrowed transparent background to a more logo-complimentary "stripe".
- increased font size of your your banner text (serving Austin and phone info)
- increased spacing between banner and slideshow

that background grass might be workable if you do a color overlay to minimize the detail. making it somewhat opaque just washes it out, although you could have a dark base color and use the css opacity.
I forgot but I had told my web people on a prior list of things to change that the grass background was over powering. I'm thinking just a simple sky blue background. I don't really need more pictures. Too much going on.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Old 12-19-2013, 03:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantscapeSolutions View Post
On my logo box rounding the ends would help. Less blocky looking since it's over the picture with geometric corners.
I don't recall your web technical aptitude, but you can easily check that yourself by hovering your mouse over a page element and using "right click/inspect element" and then making the desired changes to the html, css styling, or content. You just need to add something like border-radius: 15px; to the element's style. This is the fastest way to visually experiment without doing anything "permanent".

If you know how to do edits in the browser like that, you can make changes to your heart's content. You'll also eliminate a lot of back and forth with your web designers, especially if you take screen caps of what you'd like to see. Everything I did for your examples was using that technique. It's also a fun way to change news headlines to read that your friends did something embarrassing.
Old 12-19-2013, 04:04 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

One other thing, since I'm not sure what you're looking for feedback on due to the site being in development... Is there going to be a sidebar or images on the content pages? Full screen width text makes for a difficult read.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Nice write up Tony!!!! I can't wait until we start working on My New Site!!!

2011 John Deere Pro Gator 2020a
2011 Lawn Solution Dual Hyrdo Aerator 24"
2011 Echo Handheld (trimmers to power pruners)
2007 Big Tex 4ft metal high side 7' x 12' Trailer
2012 PJ 7' x 16' Dump Trailer
2014 Vintage 8.5' x 24' Enclosed Trailer
2012 Ecolawn Applicator model 200 Compost Spreader
Old 12-19-2013, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
One other thing, since I'm not sure what you're looking for feedback on due to the site being in development... Is there going to be a sidebar or images on the content pages? Full screen width text makes for a difficult read.
Here is a page where they made the change http://192.254.250.169/~patriot/wordpress/top-dressing/. I think the next need to be one or two font sizes larger. I think the text color even when enlarged slightly is not going to work. There is not enough contrast in the background versus the text color. It makes you strain to read the text the way it is now.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantscapeSolutions View Post
I think the next need to be one or two font sizes larger. I think the text color even when enlarged slightly is not going to work. There is not enough contrast in the background versus the text color. It makes you strain to read the text the way it is now.
Agree on all counts. 13px font is just too small and an 18px line height doesn't give enough room to breathe. I'd go to 16px and a 24px line height. As a bonus, your table readers will thank you. The background color, and off-white #FBFBFB is fine, as bright white can be too much, but I think the background stripe texture could be faded by about half. It's too much and I find it distracting when reading. The font color would work well with a deep gray/black font with a touch of blue in it. And I would definitely reign in those sentence lengths from the current, full-width page layout. On my laptop, that makes for about a 1200px wide sentence. With as much content as you have on each page, you're going to lose readers. It really needs narrowed as a whole, or by adding a sidebar to narrow it (say, for a contact form on each page. Those convert very well.) and adding in photos/graphics/etc.

Here's a screen cap reflecting the increased readability via the 18px font size and 24px line height. The font color could go more gray, but you get the gist. (Looks like they're working on it now as I think I just saw a font change push through.)
Attached Images

Old 12-20-2013, 08:47 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Background

The background really needs to be something simple so the menu, logo, and slide show stand out. It also needs to have a very simple color scheme so various text and other elements do not blend into various parts of the background. Here is a Thinkstock image I own the rights to use that I think I'm going to use.

For anyone looking for images to use Thinkstock is a great place to look.
Attached Images

Old 12-20-2013, 09:07 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'm going to have the size of my logo doubles as well. It's too small and you can barely read the smaller text. It needs to be much larger and more bold looking. It looks small like it's just floating there right now. The text on both sides can be pushed towards the bottom of the logo so it still fits.
Attached Images