Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-31-2014, 06:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Here an email I'll share from my SEO guy. The only thing holding up my site is I'm having the film strip ratio changed to 450X900 and they had to get some outside programming done but there was no extra fee.

Hi David,

A lot of SEO work takes place “under the hood” of your website and the client can sometimes feel like they don’t know what they are paying for. So I like to periodically send an email to let you know.

I spent most of the afternoon today writing and installing what is called the meta titles and meta descriptions for each page of your site. These are the titles and snippets for each site you see in all the results when you type a search in to Google or other search engines.

These titles and descriptions are important because they 1) tell the search engines what the page/site is about and 2) are like billboards for people searching. With this in mind, they are written to include the higher volume and higher worth key words associated with your business (based on our keyword research) as well as designed to catch the search user’s eye in order to increase the likelihood of getting them to click on to your site.

Once the site launches I’ll be able to show you a little more specifically what I am referring to, but for now just wanted to let you know this is what we’ve been working on.

Thanks,
Ted

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 01-31-2014, 07:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope Landscaping View Post
I do not have a lot of knowledge on the subject by any means and I realize the investment of the money may pay off a hundred times over, but I'm just curious how much someone can improve on SEO? I've heard it's best to not let your site just sit and that it's best to change it every so often... is that service being recieved for the money?
Posted via Mobile Device
You have to have that discussion with the provider as to what it entails.

There's ALOT of seo hacks out there today. Anyone can rank a site and call themselves an expert
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-31-2014, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
You have to have that discussion with the provider as to what it entails.

There's ALOT of seo hacks out there today. Anyone can rank a site and call themselves an expert
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah, I hear ya.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-31-2014, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantscapeSolutions View Post
Here an email I'll share from my SEO guy. The only thing holding up my site is I'm having the film strip ratio changed to 450X900 and they had to get some outside programming done but there was no extra fee.

Hi David,

A lot of SEO work takes place “under the hood” of your website and the client can sometimes feel like they don’t know what they are paying for. So I like to periodically send an email to let you know.

I spent most of the afternoon today writing and installing what is called the meta titles and meta descriptions for each page of your site. These are the titles and snippets for each site you see in all the results when you type a search in to Google or other search engines.

These titles and descriptions are important because they 1) tell the search engines what the page/site is about and 2) are like billboards for people searching. With this in mind, they are written to include the higher volume and higher worth key words associated with your business (based on our keyword research) as well as designed to catch the search user’s eye in order to increase the likelihood of getting them to click on to your site.

Once the site launches I’ll be able to show you a little more specifically what I am referring to, but for now just wanted to let you know this is what we’ve been working on.

Thanks,
Ted
He was talking a lot about the meta, but I thought I've read an article on SEO where a Google SEO person was saying Google actually doesn't look at those things for SEO ranking. As a matter of fact I think WP says that as well on their website admin dashboard where you edit your site. Am I thinking of the same things?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-31-2014, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Meta tags are irrevelant I believe.

Meta title and description is what you see when you search on Google. You can change what shows up. How exactly that effects ranking is a question for Tony
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-31-2014, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope Landscaping View Post
but I'm just curious how much someone can improve on SEO? I've heard it's best to not let your site just sit and that it's best to change it every so often... is that service being recieved for the money?
Posted via Mobile Device
It should be part of the service. If that fee is for anything less than 2 or 3 months, for a local service business, it's very high. If it's a sustained effort, for X amount of time, it's not unreasonable. If it's $1,500, billed and completed, in the next 2 weeks, it's probably not the best decision. The details of the $1,500 spend would be needed before passing judgment, no different than any landscaping project.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-31-2014, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Let's try not to derail Plantscape's web project progression thread (I think it's a great exercise), so if people have questions that are outside the scope of what he's doing, it might be best to start a new thread. We're great at going off on tangents, so it might be best if this one stay centered on his input/output.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:31 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek View Post
Let's try not to derail Plantscape's web project progression thread (I think it's a great exercise), so if people have questions that are outside the scope of what he's doing, it might be best to start a new thread. We're great at going off on tangents, so it might be best if this one stay centered on his input/output.
Agreed.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-01-2014, 01:58 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

If you Google Austin Web & Design (AWD) that is who is doing my site. Originally, when my project started they would not do the SEO work and referred you to an outside source. I think they got more serious about their own site and were able to have it jump to page one in various spots as high as the number one ranking. Austin has a lot of web design places so I think they were pretty pleased with how well they ranked when Ted worked with them.

I suspect they formed a partnership with Ted and took the plunge to add SEO as a service as well. I think AWD gets so much referral work that they really were putting much effort into their own website until recently. I was referred to AWD by Travis at glidedesign.com myself.

You can see my attached agreement that I have with them. It's nice dealing with someone local who understands the market here. He immediately told me to get a different address because he understood my small town address next to the big Austin market was not going to be a plus. When you deal with SEO people in other markets who don't understand the Austin area perfectly it puts you at a disadvantage.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 02-01-2014, 10:57 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantscapeSolutions View Post
He immediately told me to get a different address because he understood my small town address next to the big Austin market was not going to be a plus. When you deal with SEO people in other markets who don't understand the Austin area perfectly it puts you at a disadvantage.
I just circled back and reread this post from you:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantscapeSolutions
I just changed my address with a disguised PO Box to appear to be closer to my target market. I spent about $175 for a mailbox at a place I will probably never go until they tell me my box is over flowing with the junk mail the new address will likely generate.
"Disguised" from who? Is this for the sake of customers visiting you, and giving them the impression you're actually in Austin, or is it for Google's sake? I'm not sure a FedEx store is disguising much (Google knows what the address is.). Depending on what the obfuscation goal is, and since he's an SEO person, I have a guess, I'd say your guy has you off to a dubious start. It's all in what he does with your Google+/Maps.