Register free!

Old 10-12-2013, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Warm season turf and pre-emergent-grass spreading

In your opinion & experiences do the pre's for crab (prodiamine, dithiopyr, pendi) inhibit or prevent stolons & rhizomes from spreading. I know Gallery does not but it is mainly for broadleaves. If you are trying to grow in thin turf but want to keep crab in check how do you go about it.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

None of the preemergents will keep the stolons from growing, However, most of them save for Gallery, Ronstar, and the triazine herbicides will keep the stolons that do grow from taking root. They will prune the roots that emerge from each node along the stolon. If I want warm season grasses to spread, I mow at the right height for the grass with machinery that does not rip the growing stolons off the ground.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 10-12-2013, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
None of the preemergents will keep the stolons from growing, However, most of them save for Gallery, Ronstar, and the triazine herbicides will keep the stolons that do grow from taking root. They will prune the roots that emerge from each node along the stolon. If I want warm season grasses to spread, I mow at the right height for the grass with machinery that does not rip the growing stolons off the ground.
What about the rhizomes, how are they affected? If you are trying to get a yard to fill in do you avoid the pre's and hit it often with post if you are fighting crab pressue?
Old 10-12-2013, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I use the non root pruners for crab. Remember that the SU postemergents are actually used as PRE in AG. In bare soil, without a thatch or sod cover, that PRE effect is there. I recently cleaned up a 1/2 acre of bermuda where I burned out all kinds of grassy weeds. No seedlings retaking the bare areas and the bermuda is sending stolons over the bare dirt. Rhizomes are not usually affected by PRE. It takes something extreme like a bare ground treatment or Casoron to affect rhizomes. Or else a pre that the desired turf is completely intolerant of.

Old 10-13-2013, 09:15 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I do not see my prodiamine apps affecting spreading that much ... If the conditions are good. Over the course of the season I am able to thicken things up through proper fertilization, water, and mowing.

Here the pre begins to wear off late in the season so could you try and push it harder then to get good root contact?

In my personal lawn I have used generic primo in Bermuda to help thicken and ease the amount of clippings. If may not have created a ton of runners but increase the number of leaves giving the appearance of being thicker. These areas may be a little shady or competing with tree roots and my hope is over time I can get them to fill in.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:45 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmasterswilson View Post
I do not see my prodiamine apps affecting spreading that much ... If the conditions are good. Over the course of the season I am able to thicken things up through proper fertilization, water, and mowing.

Here the pre begins to wear off late in the season so could you try and push it harder then to get good root contact?

In my personal lawn I have used generic primo in Bermuda to help thicken and ease the amount of clippings. If may not have created a ton of runners but increase the number of leaves giving the appearance of being thicker. These areas may be a little shady or competing with tree roots and my hope is over time I can get them to fill in.
I remember the posts on your lawn. Maybe next year do a test on your lawn of areas with and without pre. Spot spray the areas without with post and see which ones fill in better.
Old 10-13-2013, 03:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Prodiamine is the one DNA herbicide safe for newly planted bermuda. It has to do with how far down the AI penetrates the soil. I would try the rates of Barricade labeled for use on newly planted bermuda if annual grasses are a problem.