Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-15-2013, 02:04 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend cut easymoney View Post
Nice...where there is water...when I visited, thought it was gonna look like an Elvis movie..green and lush...on Maui, that's near the resorts! Love it there.
That property overlooks Lanikai Beach. It is about 45 minutes from Waikiki. Beautiful fine white sand and the water is clean. If I were truly a slacker, there would be underwater pictures of the reefs and fish rather than grass.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 10-15-2013, 04:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Guess I'll take it down to 1/2" this spring and see how it does...My tri plex works real good on it since it is 3 wheel drive, my lawn is pretty flat.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Post some pixs of your lawn with the emerald..
Old 12-09-2013, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
At 220 lbs, there is no sliding. If there is sliding, you are on some kind of grade you have no business growing grass on. I have some Emerald at home contaminating my Tifton 328. Both get cut at 1/2" There is no sliding on the Emerald parts. But, the zoysia is set to be removed with Tenacity herbicide.

Tru-Cut mowers are anything but ok. They are only good for cutting open grasses high like high cut bermuda or St Augustine, or else bermuda or seashore paspalum that is totally flat. Tru-Cuts will not negotiate any kind of bump or unevenness. The lawn has to be granite countertop flat or the cut will suck. You are also in big trouble if the grass has gotten a little thick. That plate style clutch might have been a good idea on the engineer's drawing board, but I would have preferred a drive mechanism capable of locking the reel to the engine. My Greensmaster has taken lawns that the local "landscapers" say are too uneven to cut with a reel and made them look as good as the lawn in the pictures. Well, that and a good liquid fertilizer program.
i am sure the professional greens mowers(jacobson, deere or toro) are much nicer but your talking at least 4 times the price either new or used over the tru cuts, mclanes and cal trimmers. Also they have drawback such as most only mow up to 3/4"
Old 12-17-2013, 01:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

My Greensmaster has been adapted for mowing at up to 1". Another thing that became apparent to me after using it on a normal lawn is how well it would mow a lawn tha a Tru-Cut or McLane would tear up. A lot of people have lawns that are condemned to being rotary mowed because the landscape grade reel mower with casters in the front would sink into every single imperfection in the ground and scalp badly. I do not have that problem with the Wiehle roller in the front and the large drive drum in the back, I mow lawns on pretty rough ground and leave a nice finish on all of them. That lawn in the pictures is anything but flat. There are divots and grade changes. That is the kind of lawn normally hacked with a rotary at 4". I mow that at 3/4" most of the year, raising the height of cut to 7/8" or 1" now because of the lower temperatures and lack of sun.

For a 21" reel mower, this is fast. Another lawn I mow is 1/2 acre of bermuda cut up into 4 pieces. That one is done in about 11/2-2 hours. Height of cut is 3/4". It too is like the surface of Mars. No scalping. The only thing faster that would give an equivalent cut is a triplex trim or else fairway mower.

Old 12-17-2013, 11:24 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey guys,
You can't go wrong with a greens mower if you have the means to buy one. I got this one a little while back after saling a c27 tru-cut. The difference between the quality of cut is night and day. I don't have any pictures yet since it's winter here. But I can't wait to get some in the spring

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-06-2014, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
What a 20 year old Greensmaster does to zoysia at 3/4". This lawn is no where near level and turning the corner drops at least a foot.
Beautiful pictures. Brings backs a lot of memories
Old 04-07-2014, 12:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Lots of work. I envy the guys on the continent. Cool season grasses are less demanding. I am also still mowing 2-3 times a month in December-March. Then from April-November it is every 7 days. Sorry, I am not twice a month like the other lawn people in Hawaii.

Old 04-07-2014, 12:24 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Luckily where I moved to has a golf course within walking distance, so I ran my mower by there the other day and the guy out a new bed knife on it and grinder the reel, set the contact all for 60.00. That thing is sharp as a razor blade now. It cut paper just like scissors. I hope I can keep it that way for awhile.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-07-2014, 12:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The reel and bedknife on a greens mower are so hard, you have got to be mowing sand in order to dull it. For such an expensive and hyped mower, the Tru-Cut mowers have some soft blades. A McLane is the same. A hardware store file bites into both the bedknife and reel. A file does nothing but slide on the Toro.