Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-15-2013, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Scheduling Accounts The Same Day Every Week??

Im thinking about starting my own law care business and Im a firefighter working 2 days on with 4 days off and its always rotating, so if Im working (Tuesday) and (Wednesday) then off for 4 days then I would work the following (Monday) (Tuesday) . Yes I know this is the classic story of Firefighter wanting to do lawns but I really enjoy the job and doing it. So will customers be okay with me mowing there lawns on different days??

Thanks
Old 10-15-2013, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Some customers don't even live in the same state or country as their house so they don't care. Others seemingly sit in a rocking chair by their window with a watch and a phone to call if you're 5 minutes later than usual. It all depends on the client. Some will, some won't. If up front you told people your situation they could either accept it or tell you it won't work out for them. That's my suggestion.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Most want either thurs/fri service or want care. Some wont like you working on Saturday and I wouldn't do it at all on Sunday.
All Echo hand helds
<- That's how I feel at the end of the day.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm a career firefighter and own a full service grounds maintenance company. When I meet with clients for the first time, as we go over services / scheduling, I explain to them that I work for the fire department and that I will not be able to mow the same day each week. All of my clients are ok with that.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:42 AM
LawnSite Member

Thank You all for the great replies looks like ill being going forward with the business
Old 10-16-2013, 12:47 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

You either own a business or you're doing something else, which is it, make up your mind because it's one or the other and if you're doing something else then this is a hobby because your priorities lie elsewhere, a true business owner doesn't have another priority, his business is his blood.

No yes and or no buts either.

You want to know if your customers will mind, why don't you ask them?

Last edited by herler; 10-16-2013 at 12:52 AM.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:59 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
You either own a business or you're doing something else, which is it, make up your mind because it's one or the other and if you're doing something else then this is a hobby because your priorities lie elsewhere, a true business owner doesn't have another priority, his business is his blood.

No yes and or no buts either.
Troll on...
Old 10-16-2013, 09:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Just be honest with people about what you are doing, they either will understand or wont. I know I wouldnt want to be in your shoes just for having to try and schedule all them mows

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 10-16-2013, 02:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

There are plenty of people on here who do great at both and contribute a lot to this site and are well respected. Just tell people you will try your best for Thursday or Friday but there may be the occasional week you have to adjust. Most people I know who are successful at this and do it full time started on the side working two jobs then eased their way to full time.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-19-2013, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Screw the hater. You can do what ever you want. Be a firefighter and a business owner. Some people can't multi task and so think nobody else should either. Personally, I work a full time job, a part time job and run my business. So if I can run a business AND work TWO jobs, then surely it can be done no matter how many times Herler says it can't/shouldn't be done.

Be up front with your customers when your bidding the job and let them know about the rotating schedule. I have heard about clients who call if your late, if raining, and always/only want Friday service but I have never met one nor had one. Infact, last week I skipped ALL of my accounts. I was in the hospital and out of commission for a week. I called all my clients from my hospital bed. Not one was upset or even questioned it. 3 actually sent get well cards to my hospital room. (Good thing I had that full time job with health benefits)

Don't sweat the small stuff when it comes to customers. Treat them well and be truthful, and they will do the same. If you find that one that doesn't fit, fire them. Its your business to run as you see fit.