Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-11-2013, 01:57 AM
LawnSite Member

How much dirt will I need?

I have a customer that has a really steep ditch in his front yard. He's getting older and is tired of weed eating the ditch every week. He can't mow it due to the steepness of it. He wants me to install a drainage pipe with a catch basin and cover with fill dirt and then topsoil. Baically make it flatter so he can mow with his rider.The area is 140 ft long by 25ft wide and approx 5 ft deep. How much dirt will it take to do this?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-11-2013, 02:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

use triangle to approximate cross section: area of triangle (cross sectional area) = .5 x base x height = .5(25)(5) = 62.5 sq ft. To get volume multiply by length so vol = 62.5 x 140 = 8750 ft^3 = 324 yds. That's compacted so you have to adjust upwards for the bulking factor.
Old 10-11-2013, 02:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxridernorth View Post
use triangle to approximate cross section: area of triangle (cross sectional area) = .5 x base x height = .5(25)(5) = 62.5 sq ft. To get volume multiply by length so vol = 62.5 x 140 = 8750 ft^3 = 324 yds. That's compacted so you have to adjust upwards for the bulking factor.
Thanks for the reply and the formula! I couldn't find that anywhere. I came up with 513 yards but that was square and I new it was to much. Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-11-2013, 03:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

no problem. area of triangle is just half that of a square so you were almost there
Old 10-11-2013, 08:49 AM
LawnSite Member

maybe u can tell me aproximatly how many loads will it take for me to haul the dirt too. i have a Ford L8000 tandem. I dont haul alot with it i mainly use it to haul my 337 mini excavator and my T-190 skid steer. And yes at the same time, its a beast. HaHa
Old 10-11-2013, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

How big a box how tall the sides. Average tandem around here hauls 12to 15 yards so just say 23 loads
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-11-2013, 09:47 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQLL View Post
How big a box how tall the sides. Average tandem around here hauls 12to 15 yards so just say 23 loads
Posted via Mobile Device
That's sounds about right. My truck has a 16ft long bed and I'm thinking 4ft tall sides. I will measure later today but it looks like every other tandem I've ever seen. Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-11-2013, 10:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

This thread baffles me. You own a company, tandem truck, ctl and mini excavator.

Yet you cant figure out how much dirt to fill a hole or even know how much you can haul on your truck.

I am not trying to be synical or mean spirited. I just dont understand.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-11-2013, 11:27 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVA_Concrete View Post
This thread baffles me. You own a company, tandem truck, ctl and mini excavator.

Yet you cant figure out how much dirt to fill a hole or even know how much you can haul on your truck.

I am not trying to be synical or mean spirited. I just dont understand.
Posted via Mobile Device
SVA, don't mean to "baffle" u. I haven't had the tandem very long and am trying to get more into a different market. I've been an incorporated business for close to ten years and I've always asked questions to folks who have been there done that. They might save u a dollar or two down the road. I started out pouring concrete and still do. Ive seen ur work pic thread and most of it looks good, most of it. But kept my comments to myself because nobody's perfect or knows it all. Oh and it's cynical not synical. Not trying to be mean spirited u know.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-11-2013, 02:32 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

One thing I would consider is the type of material and compaction. Your t190 likely won't compact it too much but if you have to run a compactor over it, you will lose several inches or more to compaction. I find that a lot more with loamy material. Might want to over-estimate if that area gets a lot of runoff that way you can compact it.

What type of catch basin are you going to install? I'd be interested in pics of the project. I have something similar coming up except it's on a slope.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing