Register free!

Old 03-06-2003, 05:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Lesco or Scotts Weed & Feed

Who has tried both, and any opinions would be appreciated. I have used the Scotts for St. Augustine and just wondering how the Lesco is?? The Scotts is more expensive, Is it the old saying you get what you pay for?? Thanks,,,,,

Lou
Old 03-06-2003, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have used both and Lesco is a much better product and program by far. I was never satisfied with Scotts results but Lesco has been flawless.
Old 03-06-2003, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

fatboy5803

In the state of Florida you must have a Lawn & Ornamental Pest Control License to put down Weed and Feed. Fines can range up to $ 5,000.00 if you are caught the first time. The Jacksonville, Fla. BEPC Inspector is known state wide for his Fines. He covers the St. Augustine area. If you are asking this question I know you are not licensed.

BTW FYI a few years back Lesco had so much trouble with there Weed & Feed not working that they put a sign on there broad about NEW Weed & Feed that really worked. Yep I got burned that year big time. Lesco did nothing about it.

Tremor

Before you write an other novel about how good Lesco is check out the above Facts on Lesco's Weed & Feed being no good and how Lesco did nothing to make it up to there customers who bought several Tons.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 03-07-2003, 12:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have been using Lesco for 3 years and their products are the best I have used. If you are referring to me as not knowing what i am talking about, you need to be sure who you are speaking about before you make any more nonsense comments because you had a bad experience with Lesco. Everyone is going to have an opinion about a product but to insult others is poor character. I have a very successful business and know of several very large franchises in my area who also use Lesco products. I am a fully licensed operator for applications. The guy is only asking someones opinion, not asking for someone to be impolite in answering. You don't have to be licensed to treat your own lawn and maybe this is all he asking about is his own yard to care for. Lesco is a very reputable company and have helped me greatly over the years and I now have a superb program that has all my customers proud of their lawns.
Old 03-07-2003, 12:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I should have stated that in KY you are not required to be licensed to treat your own property but Fla could be different.
Old 03-07-2003, 12:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Location: is the luck of the irish that I wish you the top of the day. As morning is only so long. From a lost irishman in Joplin, Missouri
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ric
[B]fatboy5803

In the state of Florida you must have a Lawn & Ornamental Pest Control License to put down Weed and Feed. Fines can range up to $ 5,000.00 if you are caught the first time. The Jacksonville, Fla. BEPC Inspector is known state wide for his Fines. He covers the St. Augustine area. If you are asking this question I know you are not licensed.

Ric I think you hit the nail on the head here
Old 03-07-2003, 12:40 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

ParkerLawn

Is this the homeowners forum? Is your Screen Name Fatboy5803? Did you put St. Augustine, Florida in your profile as your home?? Is Your Screen Name Tremor and do you work for Lesco??? Does C4 turf grow in Kentucky??? Was My post directed at you??????? Are any of the answers to these questions YES????

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

Old 03-07-2003, 09:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guy's, thanks for the reply's on this subject. Didn't want to stir up anything.
Ric, you're right that I have no License, and Parkerlawn you are right as at the present I'm only doing my own lawn's fertilization.
I do plan on doing a program on some customer's lawn after I figure out a system on my own lawn first. Ric, where would I go to see about a License for Lawn & Ornamental Pest Control ?? Am I legal to do my own lawn ?? I would think so as I feel if you can buy it you can do it !! For further information, I don't plan on doing anything Half --- !! I have just gotten back in the Lawn Care after a 20 year laps.. Things have changed quite a bit over the years, I have learned allot on this site and thank everybody..
Ric, where in S W Florida are you from ?? Thanks to all for the reply's....

Lou
Old 03-07-2003, 09:30 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The Bureau of Entomology and Pest Control
Pest Control Section

How to Get a License or Certificate
for Structural Pest Control
(Please click here for information on Limited Certification Programs)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Licensing

Licensing and Certification applications are administered by the Document Issuance Subsection of the Bureau.

A business license must be issued to you BEFORE you begin any pest control services. You will not be able to get an occupational license until you have been issued a business license by our agency.

The pest control activities for your company must be under the direction of a certified operator possessing the category or categories that you would like to operate within. The certified operator is required to endorse or sign your business license application.

Presently, the licensing fee is TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY DOLLARS U.S. ($250) and TEN DOLLARS U.S. ($10) per employee for the identification card.

The law requires a pest control business to maintain a minimum amount of insurance coverage. Presently those limits are set at $100,000 each person and $300,000 each occurrence for bodily injury and $50,000 each occurrence and $100,000 in the aggregate for property damage or a combined single limit coverage of $400,000 in the aggregate.

A Business license application with instructions for its completion is available for downloading in Adobe Acrobat® file format by <clicking here>, or you may contact us at the Bureau of Entomology and Pest Control, 1203 Governors Square Boulevard, Suite 300, Tallahassee, Florida, 32301 -- (850) 921-4177.

Certification

The certified operator must be certified in the category (or categories) in which the business wishes to operate, and whose primary occupation is in the pest control business, and who is employed on a full-time basis by the licensed firm. Presently, the four categories available are General Household and Rodent Control, Lawn and Ornamental Pest Control, Termite and Other Wood Destroying Organisms Pest Control, and Fumigation.

Pest control operator's certificates are issued to persons who pass the written examination(s) given by this agency and who are not minors. Qualifications for examination can be met by experience or education plus experience.

Those qualifying by experience must document high school education or equivalency and three years verified experience as a service employee of a licensee who performs pest control in the category or categories in which certification is desired, at least one year of which experience must have been under a licensee in this state immediately preceding application for examination.

Those qualifying through education may qualify with a degree and 20 semester hours or 30 quarter hours advanced training or a major in entomology, botany, agronomy, or horticulture from a recognized college or university. You may also qualify without a degree, provided you have 24 semester hours or 36 quarter hours advanced training in the above fields of study. Those qualifying through education must also document one year of service employment as a service employee of a licensee in this state that performs pest control in the requested category or categories or be a graduate from an entomology program at a public university in this state that specializes in urban pest management which includes practical pest management experience.

If the training is in entomology, the applicant is qualified for examination in all categories. If the training is in horticulture, botany, or agronomy, the applicant is qualified for the examination only in the category of lawn and ornamental pest control.

The examination fee is TWO HUNDRED AND TWENTY FIVE DOLLARS U.S. ($225.00) PER CATEGORY.

An examination application and the instructions for its completion are available in Adobe Acrobat® file format for downloading by <clicking here>, or you may contact us at the Bureau of Entomology and Pest Control, 1203 Governors Square Boulevard, Suite 300, Tallahassee, Florida, 32301 -- (850) 921-4177.

Old 03-07-2003, 09:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Of course you can do your own lawn