Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-27-2014, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Member

do not use vista print

While ordering some $200 worth of marketing material I decided to use vista print for my web site. After a whole week of there system being down I decided to move my acct. To Go Daddy since my wife got her site up in a day through them. After paying vista print the release fee and transferring it to go daddy I was told it was unable to be used for 60 days until because it was to new. When calling vista print back I was told it was just there policy and when asked to speak to someone above the call taker I was told it would not do any good it was there policy. After being on hold another 5 minutes my call was cut off.
Now I am stuck with $200 worth of marketing material with a web site address and email address that is unusable. I will not be getting anything what so ever from them I don't care if they give it to me.

Sorry for poor grammar in a rant
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-27-2014, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Go daddy isn't much better.

Who did you buy your domain from
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-27-2014, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Ok got it figured out. I bought it from Vista print and they registered it. So They where no help. Luckily the guy from go daddy talked me down. We shall see lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-28-2014, 09:11 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

If there's a teaching moment here, it's that you always want to register your domain name on your own and then bring it to your web site builder/designer of choice. If they register your name for you, you're at the mercy of their fine print. If you owned the domain, you just point your name to another host/service.

If you search the archives here, you'll find that GoDaddy web sites are not well regarded (Do not buy their additional SEO service packages. You're throwing dollars down a hole.). Top 5 Worst will include Vistaprint and GoDaddy.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have services through godaddy. By services I mean domain and hosting. I do everything else myself. Never any issues. Knock on wood. Except when I forget a email password for a new account.

I hear far more bad things from people that have big companies do their website. My dad got ripped off by yellow pages. Same type of nonsense as you. I bet there are some that have had good luck.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:59 PM
LawnSite Member

I use hubrunner.com and they are awesome. They designed everything from top to bottom and couldn't be happier.

www.stlturfmanagement.com
Old 01-28-2014, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have ordered business cards though them many times with no problem, but I know you have a different problem. What area do you work in?
All Echo hand helds
<- That's how I feel at the end of the day.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

A point to clarify here is what exactly was it that VIstaPrint could not do for 60 days.

I have registered domains with other services (who preform that as a primary service) that when it is a brand new domain, could not transfer the control of the domain over to another registrar service for 60 days. I don't domains enough to know if it is an ICAAN rule or not.

Now, even if that was the case for not moving the domain elsewhere, they should have been able to still either update the nameservers or at the least let you update the individual records for where you are sent when requesting the domain.

As already mentioned, the domain should always be in your (company) name with an e-mail address under your control.

I can agree that Yellow Pages is a PITA on getting a site moved off of their service. They refused to talk to me since I was not the owner of the site, and when the owner called in and said I was on the phone as well, they refused to talk to her for "her privacy". Being that she is a lawyer, I was really looking forward to what action she would take, in the end she just wanted a new domain and give up on old site...
Old 01-28-2014, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Im in Gainesville ga
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-28-2014, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLTurfmanagement View Post
I use hubrunner.com and they are awesome. They designed everything from top to bottom and couldn't be happier.

www.stlturfmanagement.com
What happens say, in 2015, if you decide you want to move your site to a new host, or bring it in-house?