Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-25-2014, 01:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Mobile reviews on Google Plus

Has anyone noticed that you cannot give or receive google+ reviews online with a mobile device? I asked a few clients for reviews today and they said there was nowhere to comment. One person says it read "comments are disabled on this device." Anyone else have this problem?
Old 01-25-2014, 02:19 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Google killed that functionality almost 2 years ago. The most direct way (natively) to do a mobile review is via the Google Maps app.

I just checked your + page and don't see any yet. When it comes to adding reviews, I'd ask people to trickle them in. A deluge (relatively speaking) usually doesn't work too well.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-25-2014, 02:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

What I was hoping to do was copy a link somehow to Facebook to where they can click on it, end up at my google plus page and write a review that was. The people using an iPad or mobile device were unable to do so. I have a lot of people willing to write reviews for me but it seems they all have complications in doing so.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:03 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I didn't know g+ reviews didn't work for mobile. I do know you can put this at the end of your google plus address /?hl=en&review=1 so that it will directly take them to write a review. (just in case you didn't know).
Old 01-25-2014, 09:40 AM
LawnSite Member

Here's a tutorial on a work around: http://georillas.com/how-to-write-re...obile-devices/
Old 01-25-2014, 10:29 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Mike Blumenthal (dis)covered the workarounds, as well.

As previously mentioned, if you don't have any reviews, or a steady track record of receiving them, I'd be cautiously selective. The selective, drip approach, rather than a questionable influx, is recommended. Google Reviews can be a frustrating sandbox to play in.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-25-2014, 11:18 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

New dumb kid question... Do these reviews help with SEO?
Old 01-25-2014, 11:57 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i noticed that when I have gotten a good review on G+ or even yelp i have seen a boost in my ranking not to long after. Like tony was saying though, a whole bunch at one time could be bad and cause issues, i understand that much. I don't ask for reviews that much for that reason. If a customer has something good to say, i'll ask them for a review on G+ if i think its about time for another review on there. lol.

I wish more of my customers put reviews on G+ rather than Yelp. I notice on Yelp if they haven't wrote many or any reviews the review gets kicked out because they have a 'filter'. I got so many good reviews, real reviews that are "not recommended" because the customer didn't have enough reviews under their belt for the one they wrote for me to really matter. the few that went through really helped my yelp page move up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfjoe View Post
New dumb kid question... Do these reviews help with SEO?
Old 01-25-2014, 12:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Reviews do help a bit. It's just one thing among others that Google takes into consideration when ranking you.
Old 01-25-2014, 01:05 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

If you all want to put your nerd helmets on and really dig in to this, you can really leverage your reviews by using "rich snippets" (After reading the below, and building a base of understanding, I'd circle back around and learn about the various benefits they have, beyond just reviews, via schema.org). If you search "rich snippets reviews", you'll find more info than you could ever care to read. Off the top of my head, I don't know of one, great, easy to follow tutorial (maybe Headz has one in mind?), so I would read these, get the gist, and then go from there.

How to Add Reviews to Your Site Using Schema Structured Data Markup
I'm a huge fan of schema protocols. I love the discipline of structuring data and showing Google exactly what I want them to index, and exactly how I want it to look. more...
--------
When review information is marked up in the body of a web page, Google can identify it and use it to understand and present the information on your pages. Review information such as ratings and descriptions can help users to better identify pages with good content. more...
--------
This schema is used for marking up your product or service with review information and ratings. Here is an example of a Google search result that has been marked up with the Review Schema: more...
Admittedly, this is one of those posts where I feel like I'm pulling the pin on a grenade...