Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-14-2013, 10:32 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlauhoff View Post
Hello all sorry if this is in the wrong section I could not figure out how to post.

My question is about leaf removal pricing, earlier today I blew leaves to the street of a half acre property. Blowing into piles and then using a trash can to transport to street. It took about three hours in total using a backpack blower that is top of the line and a two rakes (one broke). I am an 18 year old college student who has been mowing lawns for years my typical rate for lawn mowing is $30 which I charged the same customer who I blew leaves for. My question is how much would you charge for that kind of labor it also took my mower two refills of gas.
this really depends on how much you want to make. what kind of mower are you using where you had to refill the mower twice? If a leaf removal job took me 3 hours to do I would be getting close to 300 dollars to blow them to the curb or in the woods. If I had to haul them away its an extra 100 which is standard for a licensed and insured, tax paying landscape company to charge. do some charge less, probably, do some get away with charging 150-200 probably but I get an extra 100 to haul them away.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:40 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Every area is different. We get more than that to cut grass. Southern states I could possibly see it but 3"-12+"of wet leaves for $40/hr wouldn't work in the northeast. We bag/mulch what we can while we're still cutting grass but we don't give a cleanup estimate until the leaves have fallen from the tree/s.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-14-2013, 03:37 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo View Post
Every area is different. We get more than that to cut grass. Southern states I could possibly see it but 3"-12+"of wet leaves for $40/hr wouldn't work in the northeast. We bag/mulch what we can while we're still cutting grass but we don't give a cleanup estimate until the leaves have fallen from the tree/s.
Posted via Mobile Device
Instead of waiting for them to all fall, mulch weekly as they fall..much easier...I spent time in southern Indiana. It works the same everywhere
2 Sears electric weedeaters
1 green machine electric leaf blower
1 sears articulating hedge trimmer-electric
2 50ft power cords
3 Leaf rakes
1 shovel
1 pocket knife
cooler for beer
lawn chair to enjoy a beer while I wait for the cash to be handed to me
Old 10-14-2013, 03:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend cut easymoney View Post
Instead of waiting for them to all fall, mulch weekly as they fall..much easier...I spent time in southern Indiana. It works the same everywhere
One or 2 good storms and the trees can be bare. We mulch as we cut as long as we can on the accounts we service. Come leaf season we do other properties than the ones we cut, therefore youre not going to do it weekly. When they come down you're not mulching them and bagging them when they're wet and 12" deep unless you have all day to run them over. We like to make money, not just ride on the mower all day trying to mulch acres of leaves.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by echo; 10-14-2013 at 03:48 PM.
Old 10-14-2013, 04:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Different trees dump at different rates at different times. I say go weekly to stay up with it. If the customer wants it hauled off then gouge them as that is a PITA. Around here I can mulch, given decent conditions with a regular schedule. For the folks that wait until they're all down...well, they are risking their turf's health while being a cheapskate. They are unaware of their actions...and the damage may, and VERY WELL IS...done.
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 10-14-2013, 04:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

There's no reason to gouge. Charge them a fee and move on. They're certainly not being a cheapskate as it costs much more to wait until they're down. Different parts of the country have different ways needed. In the northeast you only have so much time to get them all before the snow comes. You can clean leaves on a property one day, a storm hits and the trees are all but bare. You're not mulching them. Its why equipment is needed, why its so lucrative and why you need to be extremely efficient. Time is of the essence.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-14-2013, 04:50 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Alright...I should have said 'gouge' ~> so it didn't sound so pirate-like. Hauling a LOT of debris away is a PITA whether you're set up for it or not.

We have 'some' bare trees already here...but the real super leafy trees hold on until Nov usually.
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 10-14-2013, 04:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Part of the business for us. Whether its having to dispose of grass, brush, debris, etc...

Some trees will hold on and be empty days later. Once leaf season starts here, its nonstop until the snow covers the yards.
Posted via Mobile Device