Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-15-2013, 05:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

36 standers are HEAVY with narrow tires for their weight. Check out the specs on 'em...then add in your weight once you're standing on it.
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 10-15-2013, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Id go look for a used hydro WB to make things a little easier maybe upgrade a deck size to 48. I'm sure some of your properties would allow that and that would be a bigger time saver over getting a stander the same size. Since you already have a high quality 36 I'd spend the $ on something else. My guess is the 36 stander would not leave as nice a cut, heavier with bigger tires on a small deck.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-15-2013, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

thanks everyone for your response. I appreciate the ideas. I believe I will keep to the small residential yards half acre and under. Its sick what undercutting is happening here. I got underbid for cutting 2 acres with a fair amount of trimming - $75. I bid $120. Another account 3 acres for $90. I told them lowest I could do was $150.
Are these people doing good like that? how fast can you cut an acre with moderate trimming/ edging with a 60ztr?
thanks
Old 10-16-2013, 07:35 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I just replaced the transmission belt and drive belts for my exmark, ill see how long it performs with me on a velke. if it doesn't last long that will influence my decision.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I started the year with a 36" belt drive deere, cutting about 21-23 lawns every week with it(2 days worth), and the other 28 or so with a 52" Z and 54" WB. It would take me all of those 2 days to cut those lawns with the 36 and boy was I tired at the end of the day. I picked up a 36" TT this summer and my time on those lawns has gone day dramatically, as much as 2 hours less a day. Also not having to yank the belt drive around made me much less tired at the end of the day. I then started looking at standers...

36" TT S- Series-574lbs,Front Caster Tires:9 x 3.5-4, smooth-tread, semi-pneumatic. Drive Tires16 x 6.5-8, 4-ply Turf Master

36" Vantage-790lbs(Plus operator weight):Front Caster Tires:11 x 4.0-5, smooth-tread, semipneumatic tires.Drive Tires:18 x 8.5-8 Kenda Tires

This means that the vantage has an average ground pressure of 23.3 kpa while the TT has a ground pressure of 17.5 kpa. This can make a big difference in whether or not you start rutting properties, and sinking. It was for this reason that I stuck with my TT. Also the fact that It would be pretty hard to get the vantage in and out of the bed of the truck, atleast not as easy as a walkbehind. Just food for thought, and im pretty sure my math is right, but not 100%... math is not my strongest asset.

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 10-16-2013, 09:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledsole View Post
thanks everyone for your response. I appreciate the ideas. I believe I will keep to the small residential yards half acre and under. Its sick what undercutting is happening here. I got underbid for cutting 2 acres with a fair amount of trimming - $75. I bid $120. Another account 3 acres for $90. I told them lowest I could do was $150.
Are these people doing good like that? how fast can you cut an acre with moderate trimming/ edging with a 60ztr?
thanks
I don't know where some of these prices come from.

Id just stick with the small yards, its better money and a lot lower expenses.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
I don't know where some of these prices come from.

Id just stick with the small yards, its better money and a lot lower expenses.
That's not always true, yes for residential generally smaller lots are better but no mower I have ever owned can generate $ for $ what a high speed 72 ZTR can.

Once you use a good 72 you can do bigger properties deal with fewer customers and make more money overall and not have as many headaches.

I am in FL and I am tired of grandma coming out and saying slow down can you pick this weed. Mow blow and go are the most profitable and a 72 is the best unit I have used for doing this.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandFakers View Post
I started the year with a 36" belt drive deere, cutting about 21-23 lawns every week with it(2 days worth), and the other 28 or so with a 52" Z and 54" WB. It would take me all of those 2 days to cut those lawns with the 36 and boy was I tired at the end of the day. I picked up a 36" TT this summer and my time on those lawns has gone day dramatically, as much as 2 hours less a day. Also not having to yank the belt drive around made me much less tired at the end of the day. I then started looking at standers...

36" TT S- Series-574lbs,Front Caster Tires:9 x 3.5-4, smooth-tread, semi-pneumatic. Drive Tires16 x 6.5-8, 4-ply Turf Master

36" Vantage-790lbs(Plus operator weight):Front Caster Tires:11 x 4.0-5, smooth-tread, semipneumatic tires.Drive Tires:18 x 8.5-8 Kenda Tires

This means that the vantage has an average ground pressure of 23.3 kpa while the TT has a ground pressure of 17.5 kpa. This can make a big difference in whether or not you start rutting properties, and sinking. It was for this reason that I stuck with my TT. Also the fact that It would be pretty hard to get the vantage in and out of the bed of the truck, atleast not as easy as a walkbehind. Just food for thought, and im pretty sure my math is right, but not 100%... math is not my strongest asset.

thanks for everyones response. what is a TT?
seems people have varying ideas and I appreciate all the insights.
I was in 5th gear today and while turning tore up the grass in some areas. Made me think if I had a hydro I would just slow down where it turned and speed up in the straight away.

thanks everyone
Old 10-16-2013, 03:44 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledsole View Post
thanks for everyones response. what is a TT?
seems people have varying ideas and I appreciate all the insights.
I was in 5th gear today and while turning tore up the grass in some areas. Made me think if I had a hydro I would just slow down where it turned and speed up in the straight away.

thanks everyone
Belt or hydro won't matter they work the same way. You can slow down with a belt drive
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-16-2013, 04:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

TT usually means turf tiger, scag's biggest ZTR. It comes in a 52", 61" and 72"
Shindaiwa t-270, eb-630
Scag giant vac w/ 18 hp vanguard
Redmax 8500