Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-14-2013, 05:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

attachments

Anything you guys would like to see made? I picked up some metal working tools considering building some more

I would like to make a more affordable roto tilt. Some concept excavator attachments I've been thinking about.

I don't think there's much left to develop for skid steers
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-14-2013, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Hmmm. I'd like to see an excavator tree shear for a machine in the 3-5 ton class.

Bobcat has the ripper tooth. Seems like there could be a bucket with a flip down or pin-through ripper tooth that does that same thing without having to switch buckets.

Big rake that floats over ground contour for an excavator? I can see it used to rake up mulching, wood chips, weeds, and construction debris.

There are some log splitters but the ones I've seen seem awkward. Something simple and not so long. Maybe a splitter that works with a thumb.

I imagine you are only limited by your creativity and tools. I bought a small plasma cutter but have little metal working experience. Would love to be able to make my own attachments but my brain just doesn't seem to be wired for that.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 10-15-2013, 12:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowDogSVC View Post
Seems like there could be a bucket with a flip down or pin-through ripper tooth that does that same thing without having to switch buckets.
There is one made.

http://www.purplewave.com/cgi-bin/mn...10727B/A3778/4

I have an 84" one for sale

2013 Cat 299D XHP

Bobcat Flail Cutter
84" Custom Built Scarifier
84" Custom Built Mini Dozer Blade/Grapple Bucket
84" Custom Built Ripper/Ring Roller
84" Level Best Dual Slope Box Grader with Power Masts

http://happytrack.com/html/track_0.html
Old 10-15-2013, 02:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowDogSVC View Post
Hmmm. I'd like to see an excavator tree shear for a machine in the 3-5 ton class.

Bobcat has the ripper tooth. Seems like there could be a bucket with a flip down or pin-through ripper tooth that does that same thing without having to switch buckets.

Big rake that floats over ground contour for an excavator? I can see it used to rake up mulching, wood chips, weeds, and construction debris.

There are some log splitters but the ones I've seen seem awkward. Something simple and not so long. Maybe a splitter that works with a thumb.

I imagine you are only limited by your creativity and tools. I bought a small plasma cutter but have little metal working experience. Would love to be able to make my own attachments but my brain just doesn't seem to be wired for that.
I actually went to college for metal working. Maybe it all the way to tig and plasma and decided I'd rather get real world experience then spend 40k for a piece of paper

I have a question 3-5 ton class does that mean a 35-50 series machine? I've also referred by 35,50,80 etc. I never got the ton reference.

A tree shear on a smaller excavator would be hard, but you'd need to be careful how big of a tree you take down. You can watch full size tiger cats lean with a big tree.

I can make a rake that the would be easy. Like a 3pt style rake?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-15-2013, 02:12 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

my machine is a 335 but it weighs almost 10,000 lbs. I am not sure how they come up with some of their ratings.
I'm fairly new to mini ex, even though I've had one for 4 years, I am just now starting to use it and learn about it.

A rake similar to a tractor 3pt landscape rake.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 10-15-2013, 05:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I never understood Bobcat's numbering system but the basic idea for just about everyone else excluding Cat is that a 35 size machine is 3.5 tons, 50 is 5.0 tons, etc.. Cat's numbering system is slightly different but more or less the same, a 303 is 3 tons, 303.5 is 3.5 tons, 305 is 5 tons, etc.. Tonnage is based on metric tons.

Go hard, go fast, or go home
Old 10-15-2013, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

most 40's I know of are most often 5 tons and 50's usually 6 ton but I always thought that originally the numbers were meant to refer to the general horse power of the machine, which wouldn't be accurate anymore but the numbers stuck as size reference. not sure tho.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 seasons lawn&land View Post
most 40's I know of are most often 5 tons and 50's usually 6 ton but I always thought that originally the numbers were meant to refer to the general horse power of the machine, which wouldn't be accurate anymore but the numbers stuck as size reference. not sure tho.
It doesn't help when everyone refers to them as something different. I see people refering to their mini have xx horsepower. Confusing Lil

I've always said 30 size,50 size etc
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-16-2013, 08:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I rented a mini this summer to do some cleanup work at my grandparent's place. The rental outfit had a yard full of IHI excavators, which are numbered as 27, 35, 50, etc.. Told the guy I needed a 35 size machine, looked at me like I was nuts. He goes "I think you're mistaken sir, you must be thinking of some other brand of machine that uses a different numbering system. I need to know how deep you're digging so I can properly size a machine for you" I asked him how deep I needed to dig to remove blackberry bushes that were 8 feet tall. He didn't know what to say. Pointed to the machine in the yard I wanted, told him to put a 24" bucket on it and send me on my way.

Heard them sized by digging depth which is stupid as well as horsepower, also stupid, since horsepower has very little to do with a machine's capability and is quite subjective across brands.

Go hard, go fast, or go home