Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-25-2013, 05:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Husqvarna 323L vs Maruyama BT23L trimmer

I'm needing to add a light, high quality trimmer to my arsenal. Went to buy a Husqvarna 323L today based in part on feedback from this site. The dealer had an additional brand I wasn't familiar with, Maruyama, which he claimed was as good as if not better than the Husky.
We compared the 323L to a Maruyama BT23L side-by-side. The Husky seemed lighter. The literature put the BT23L at 11 pounds but didn't indicate if that was with the head and guard. The BT23L is 22.5CC and the 323L is 24.5 CC. The heads loaded differently but really, either was workable. Both felt comfortable and well balanced. The dealer said the warranty on the Husky was 2 years and the Maruyama was 5 years. He wants and $230 for the BT23L and $280 for the 323L. The price difference isn't a deal breaker but quality is.
Any thoughts on these two trimmers? I found a three year old thread here on the BT23L. It sounds like it's an older model that predated the Maruyama BC2321. The build of the Maruyama reminds me a lot of Kawasaki. Having no first hand experience with this Husky model, and having never heard of Maruyama before today, I could sure use some input. Thanks.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:49 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Maruyama has a good reputation here at Lawnsite. Other than a lack of numerous dealers/network, if you feel you have good dealer support then that is a big plus.

I own a Maruyama HH blower (Model 3200) that has been VERY reliable for as little as I've used it over the last 4-5 years. Very easy to start and warms up quickly.

If you've done research on other Maruyama products then you might have come across my shared experience with their brand of 2-stroke oil not being very compatible with my other 2-stroke equipment. Unless Maruyama's policy has changed, you will need to buy a 6-pack of their 2-stroke oil to get the full extended 5 year warranty. It does cost more than other 2-stroke oils, IIRC.
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 06-26-2013, 07:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Valk, thanks for the Maruyama oil info. I wasn't aware of that. I make my own mix for my 2 cycle equipment. Sounds like that wouldn't work with Maruyama.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smooth cut View Post
Valk, thanks for the Maruyama oil info. I wasn't aware of that. I make my own mix for my 2 cycle equipment. Sounds like that wouldn't work with Maruyama.
Sorry to take this off topic, but please elaborate on "I make my own mix" please. And your spider senses are keen. Maruyama and Kawasaki have been in bed for years. Kaw makes the engines for their backpack blowers, and Maruyama makes the blower and housing. I've read that it's only on the backpacks, not the handheld blowers. Not sure about the string trimmers, but they do seem to be a "stratocharged" design. I can attest that the backpacks are top shelf, and the hedge trimmers are excellent.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-27-2013, 07:27 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

as long as you have a dealer-i would pick the maruyama every time. their small trimmers are great
Old 06-27-2013, 09:29 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

the husky will feel better in every way but 2 years is all we ever get out of them - sometimes less.
3-5 years out of echo
5 + out of stihl 4-mix and fs250's

Still buy 326's for everyday trimming though which should say something about how nice they are for the operator
Old 06-27-2013, 10:13 AM
LawnSite Member

The 323L was the lightest of the bunch. Read it has a bit of elbow/forearm heat when used a lot. Is it enough to be objectionable? The dealer also has the 326LS. Is it worth the extra 1.4 pounds to avoid the heat? Would there be other benefits?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-27-2013, 01:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

326 doesn't really feel stronger than the 323 or heavier. The heat shield is why we prefer them.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:16 PM
LawnSite Member

GrassGuerilla, like many of us I have my own 2 cycle mix I prefer. The basic ideas for mine originated from a poster named Saxman1 on another lawnmower site.Years back I bought a LARGE quantity of Mobile1 MX2T 2 cycle motor cycle oil which I continue to use to this day. I mix it at a ratio of 50:1. To this I add Marine Formula Sta-bil to cover any ethanol concerns. To this I used to also add 2 oz of Marvel Mystery Oil (MMO) per gallon. I used this mix in ALL our 2 cyle equipment regardless if the equipment called for 32:1, 40:1, or 50:1. Synthetic oil seems to provide outstanding protection at all temperatures. This formula worked great for us for years. No engine problems ever. Sometime back I switched our crews to No-spill brand gas cans. We love these cans. However, the 'mix' apparantly was not compatible with these cans. Leaks were occuring in the bottom of nearly every can that carried the 2 cycle mix. The cans then had to be thrown away. I played around with different combinations and discovered that when I left out the MMO the No-Spill cans no longer leaked. All the 2 cycle equipment continues to run great. Problem solved. I'm no chemist. Why the mix with MMO resulted in leaks with the No-spill cans remains a mystery. I just know Mobile1 MX2T synthetic oil with Marine Formula Sta-bil reliably meets all our 2 cycle needs. It's a shame Mobile1 MX2T is no longer made. When our supply runs out we'll undoubtedly want another synthetic oil to take its place.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:14 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

never take advice from saxman. he,s is an amatuer. adding mmo to 2 cycle fuel is a waist of $. better off using non ethanol gas