Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-14-2013, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Anyone prefer an open trailer instead of an enclosed trailer?

Do any of you guys/gals prefer to use an open trailer instead of an enclosed trailer for regularly hauling your mowing and/or landscaping equipment? Obviously an enclosed trailer has some really good advantages, it keeps your equipment dry and out of the elements, locked up, it acts as a mobile garage. I know open trailer cost less.

Putting money aside, are there any of you that use open trailers because you'd rather use them? If so, why, do you like that they're easier to see around/through/over, they're lighter, less drag making for some what better mileage? Just wondering.

Thanks, NYH1.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Member

I like the versatility of my open utility trailer. I can use it for mulch, brush, etc. The way I have mine set up, it can even be used as a car hauler. In my perfect little world, I would have both.. Hopefully one day soon.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:19 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Oh it's not just "some what" better fuel mileage, an open trailer is noticeably easier to drive all around.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have A landscape trailer w/ 4' sides, weedeater racks, and a lockable box on the front. It has a 2-5/16" bulldog coupler and 6500lb axles. I like my trailer it's heavier then most. I would love an enclosed trailer though, only downside for me is I park my trailer in my garage when I am not mowing. I want to come up with a dump/enclosed trailer that I put leaves in. A 3 in one
Shindaiwa t-270, eb-630
Scag giant vac w/ 18 hp vanguard
Redmax 8500
Old 10-15-2013, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I just bought an enclosed trailer from my neighbors company. The deal was too good to pass up. I may keep it or I may sell it. One thing for sure it will not be used much for mowing. I am a stickler at the amount of time I spend at each yard. This enclosed trailer increased my overall time to do my route. Going in and out of a trailer to grab handhelds was one negative. I can grab any handheld off of my open trailer in seconds. Fueling up my mower was a hassle with the enclosed. Parking at a couple of my yards was more cumbersome also. I live in a very safe area but I still like the security of my equipment being in a locked up windowless shop than in the enclosed trailer. My buddy who is a very large lco loves his enclosed trailers but the negatives for me do not outweigh the few positives.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-15-2013, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies.

NYH1.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I do like being able to look behind my back seat through the window down the trailer through the expanded metal gate and actually see what I am about to back into you know that place the mirrors cannot see.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just sold my enclosed trailer. The security was great, but as others have said the in and out, not being able to see what is behind me was not so great. Also my HOA did not approve of it parked in my driveway or in my street so I got a 6x12 tandem axle that is built like a tank. I think I lost some fuel mileage because it is so damn heavy.
Old 10-19-2013, 01:55 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Enclosed trailers are great if you run a crew with your trailer. The ramp stays down at job sites most of the time so there is no ramp up and down issue. If your enclosed is set up well (most are not) it will save you time because all the equipment is easier to get to. You can do thing with plywood walls and a ceiling you can't do with an open. No rain or weathering of your equipment being exposed is great.

You get towing mirrors and the viability is not that big of a deal. I have a 16' open with 4' solid sides, 21' gooseneck with 4' solid sides, and a 20' gooseneck dump trailer with 4' sides. I'm used to limited visibility. If you have a decent Diesel work truck the weight of the enclosed is nothing.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 10-19-2013, 02:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Both trailers have their ups and downs. I love the look of an enclosed trailer but they would never work for us. We haul away to much debris from our sites that it doesn't all fit in a pickup truck. I used to worry about having equipment stolen until i realized that my insurance will cover $15,000 worth of equipment for only $300 a year.
Posted via Mobile Device