Register free!

Old 10-01-2013, 11:49 AM
LawnSite Member

types of organic

Hi
anyone knows are there different types of organic fertilizers?
like 50% organic, 75% organic?
or like natural organic, chemical organic?

thanks
Old 10-02-2013, 10:34 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Do they still make fertilizer pellets from corn cobs??? that would be over 50% organic... I would stay away from the "organic fertilizers" and other gimmickry and just put down CGM, SM, compost and even milorganite to build the soil... always mulch mow the grass,,, and leaves whenever possible...
Old 10-06-2013, 09:23 AM
LawnSite Member

Smallaxe or anyone else, how large or how many customers do you have? My question is this, can organic program really be efficient enough to take care of customers day in and day out. Smallaxe I've asked you before what are your practices for applying compost to lawns. Now I have no idea how long it takes to spread compost on a lawn? What type of equipment is needed? So on and so forth, maybe you have answered my question before and I'm just a dunce. IS ORGANIC PRACTICAL, EFFICIENT TO OPERATE A BUSINESS OR IT IS BETTER LEFT FOR HOMEOWNERS?
Old 10-06-2013, 09:39 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I went totally organic at my own home when I lived in Maryland. Over the four years that I did so my yard went down hill. Others may have found the solutions to organically maintaining a yard but I did not.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:20 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshuakwhit View Post
Smallaxe or anyone else, how large or how many customers do you have? My question is this, can organic program really be efficient enough to take care of customers day in and day out. Smallaxe I've asked you before what are your practices for applying compost to lawns. Now I have no idea how long it takes to spread compost on a lawn? What type of equipment is needed? So on and so forth, maybe you have answered my question before and I'm just a dunce. IS ORGANIC PRACTICAL, EFFICIENT TO OPERATE A BUSINESS OR IT IS BETTER LEFT FOR HOMEOWNERS?
You'll have to define what you mean by an organic program. For the strictest definition and protocol go to NOFA Organic LandCare http://www.organiclandcare.net/
This is not an easy route to take, it requires training, knowledge and dedication. It is not as simple as changing from chemicals to organic products. The emphasis is on cultural methods and setting customer expectations.

This forum will provide you with many different opinions on the subject.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 10-06-2013, 10:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasthound View Post
This forum will provide you with many different opinions on the subject.
Added key word emphasis for clarity.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:03 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshuakwhit View Post
Kiril is correct in that the key word is OPINION...

Compost applied to overwatered soil will provide LITTLE benefit if any at all... that isn't so much an opinion as an observation, but not worth arguing about...
If the soil is enriched with organics, moisture/air ratios and other favorable cultural practices then you should see definite improvement... If 'organic products', are added to poorly managed soils THEN nothing is going to happen anyways...

I apply compost with a wheelbarrow, using my hand to fan it out evenly... shoveling into piles and raking it out is way to time consuming... This of course is where the keyword 'opinion' applies again...

Learning how and why certain things work goes a long way to separating opinion from observable botanical realities... reading about soil structure and CEC is only worthwhile when it is applied in the real world and observation is helping you to fine tune the effort... and don't let anyone tell you that what you observe is ignorant, rather talk to those who respectfully introduce an alternative POV that helps to reveal the whys and wherefores...
Old 10-06-2013, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Uh, so how do I find people that know what works or teach what to look for to tell if something is working. Is there any real world working solutions to say "this works".

OPINIONS, I hate this word. Because nobody is willing to put their integrity and system on the line. Then when someone comes along that proves your wrong their not man enough to face the truth and what they hold to be true and change.
So Phasthound, are you telling a organic program does not work? What do you mean by I need to tell you what I mean about organic is this not the forum titled "Organic Lawn Care". Maybe that needs to be the first thread in this forum what everybody means about organic. If you what to talk about this organic than you need to go to Such and such forum! This forum is mind boggling nobody agrees on any such animal.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-06-2013, 12:34 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellB View Post
I went totally organic at my own home when I lived in Maryland. Over the four years that I did so my yard went down hill. Others may have found the solutions to organically maintaining a yard but I did not.
Typically a bridge program in transition works best.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-06-2013, 12:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

"Organic" landscape management is less about the type of products you use and more about the sustainability of the program you use. "Organic" programs absolutely can and do work, but it requires more knowledge to execute it successfully than a conventional program. Anyone can throw down a synthetic fert and make their lawn look good, but it takes knowledge and understanding to make an "organic" program work with desired results.

Oh, and any organic matter input into a system that requires it is beneficially, regardless of soil water status.

Last edited by Kiril; 10-06-2013 at 12:48 PM.