Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-16-2013, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Member

This is what the Scag Cheetah manual has to say about engaging the clutch for the blades......

"Set the throttle at about 3/4 speed. Do not attempt to engage the deck drive at high speed as this shortens the electric clutch life � use only moderate engine speed when engaging the deck drive."

Old 10-16-2013, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonBoud View Post
This is what the Scag Cheetah manual has to say about engaging the clutch for the blades......

"Set the throttle at about 3/4 speed. Do not attempt to engage the deck drive at high speed as this shortens the electric clutch life � use only moderate engine speed when engaging the deck drive."

Deere is the same way. I have always said that engaging at WOT will shorten the clutch life by quite a bit. Think about it. You're taking that huge load and trying to start it immediately at full RPM on the clutch? No way that isn't wearing and shortening the life of the clutch.

I don't know which would be worse, replacing the PTO every so often or the belts even more often.
Old 10-17-2013, 02:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenology View Post
I broke a belt last week, only 35hrs on the machine, but this was the result of sticks.

It appears that the roughly 45degree incline angle on front of deck is acting as a scoop for sticks, Im not sure what to do about it, I spend too much time picking up sticks as it is, it would be impossible for me not to run over some sticks. A square boxed front deck wont allow sticks to get into the spindle area so easily, more of a tendency to be pushed under the deck rather than on top.
I've heard this a few times before about the icd deck. What puzzles me is that the Scag velocity deck has the same sloped nose but I don't know that I've ever heard anyone mention this problem with the velocity deck. Any ideas on why it seems to be more prevalent on the icd deck?
Old 10-17-2013, 02:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick G View Post
I've heard this a few times before about the icd deck. What puzzles me is that the Scag velocity deck has the same sloped nose but I don't know that I've ever heard anyone mention this problem with the velocity deck. Any ideas on why it seems to be more prevalent on the icd deck?
Maybe the adjustable baffle on the scag that the ICD doesn't have.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-17-2013, 05:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick G View Post
I had been thinking the same thing, Id say the sticks would still be scooped up but must be deflected better, I don't think theres a frame along the front of the spindle area on the velocity, so maybe any sticks are deflected whereas the Icd having a frame there allows the sticks to be kept in there continuously rubbing on the belt.
Old 10-17-2013, 05:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyFarmLandscaping View Post
Maybe the adjustable baffle on the scag that the ICD doesn't have.
Posted via Mobile Device
Hmm, that's underneath the deck which wouldn't really come into play I don't think?
Old 10-18-2013, 11:32 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenology View Post
I had been thinking the same thing, Id say the sticks would still be scooped up but must be deflected better, I don't think theres a frame along the front of the spindle area on the velocity, so maybe any sticks are deflected whereas the Icd having a frame there allows the sticks to be kept in there continuously rubbing on the belt.
It's possible. I've never been able to compare both decks side by side but there has to be something causing trouble on the icd deck.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

This year I started engaging PTO at 1/4 throttle hoping tp extend the life of the idler pulleys on the fast vac and at 350hrs the deck belt broke, machine is new this year. So another trade off. The pulleys are $25 the belt $90. Guess I'll increase start speed to 5/8.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroddy View Post
The guys @ Ferris every since I've sold Ferris has told me to engage the PTO at WOT. It creates belt slap at lower speeds which stretches the belt to a point of a break. I too was like "It doesn't make sense to pull the PTO @ WOT". But I kept calling Ferris with belt questions about breaking belts, and Andy with Tech. kept asking me if the customers was pulling the PTO @ WOT? So, I personally own a 3100Z and I had snapped a couple belts and since I been doing what Ferris suggested, I haven't broke a belt in 300hrs and the one on my Z looks immaculate. So I started telling my customers to do what Ferris suggested, my belt problem with my customers almost completely went away. I couldn't believe it!

Ferris invested in some high dollar high speed cameras to study the deck issues they were having. and found some issues to address and hence the reason for all the belt changes, some spring changes and Idler arm changes. But this past season, I had A LOT less trouble out of belt failures from Ferris mowers. It made me very very happy.

Oh, one more point to make. I know these belts are expensive, I stock prolly $20,000 in belts for all brands I sale, but If your going and buying a cheaper belt from Napa or your local bearing supply like a gates belt, your wasting your time and money, gates belts are made with Nylon cords that easily snap during normal use- use only Armrid Fiber / Kevlar belts designed for the machine so if you do have a failure of a belt within 90 days- you have a warranty and your dealer can get pull from Ferris on getting your issue resolved
Howdy, have you had any issues with clutch life as yet?
Old 02-24-2014, 07:40 AM
LawnSite Member

I had a belt break at 250hrs and my locally owned mower shop put on a belt made for a badboy. I now have 700hrs on the machine and no belt problems at all.