Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-15-2013, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Trimmer time

What hedge trimmer do you have and pros and cons about it. Currently we use a echo hc150 Amd a stihl kombi unit with the articulating trimmer. Our echo has aged and now and we want to replace it. We have switched everything over to stihl recently do to over the top dealer support. Now that it time to switch this machine over just not sure I want it to be stihl as well.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-16-2013, 01:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Two echo hc 165 units. Only con is that if you're not careful they cut chain link fence like it's butter. Blades stay sharp for a long time, easy to find parts. I'm fortunate for good dealer support. They sharpen up pretty easy to. I do run them without the blade stiffener as it diminishes the ability to cut effectively on some shrubbery. I also have the PAS 265 with both straight and articulating trimmer heads.

"non-violence leads to the highest ethics, which is the goal of all evolution. Until we stop harming all other livings beings, we are still savages. THOMAS EDISON
Old 10-16-2013, 01:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I forgot to mention the 165s have the anti vibration system and the 150 does not. Very important

"non-violence leads to the highest ethics, which is the goal of all evolution. Until we stop harming all other livings beings, we are still savages. THOMAS EDISON
Old 10-16-2013, 09:27 AM
LawnSite Member

Also if I went with stihl my dealer was telling me that most other guys run the hc45 I believe it's a smaller unit with only 18" bar. My current one has a 20" bar and old that I want to lose another two inches.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-16-2013, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

forgive me if my info is out of date but years ago I had a hc45 and it was a piece of crap. the unit used to be a bottem end commercial or homeowner unit. Twice the blade curled up on me when it hit decorative type wire things that the customers had put in the shrub and both times the blade had to be replaced. Used to be that it did't have the anti-vibe system either, luckiliy I was able to sell it. I think you would do well for yourself to ask or watch for what the other lawn companys in your area are using. To me it doesn't bode well that your dealer is trying to sell you what is probably homeowner equip. Good luck

Old 10-16-2013, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Well I asked which he sales mosly to his commercial guys and that's the one he said most go with but that it was bottom commercial/homeowner. Reason we thought about stihl anyways is bc he usually stops what he is doing to fix whatever we bring in and stocks most everything but if he doesn't have it take 2 days to order and is ready first thing that morning. So exceptional support from him. Just wondering what others use.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-17-2013, 12:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

dealer support like that is worth it's weight in gold. I do a tremendous amount of shrubs now and I can tell you that the anti-vibe system is important if you end up doing a really long job. Have you checked out higher priced units that he has. I do wish some other lawnsite members would weigh in so you can get additional advice. I freely admit that with my dealer support and the quality of my echos, my advise is very prejudiced in favor of echo.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:09 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Rvldesign, I'm up to date on echo equipment, but Stihl has the HS 56 C-E and it would probably compare to what you had with the echo http://www.stihlusa.com/products/hed...immers/hs56ce/

Heavier duty is the HS 81 T http://www.stihlusa.com/products/hed...rimmers/hs81t/