Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-04-2013, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Greens mower out of control

just started getting into some bentgrass green and bout a used john deer 220b greens mower. And when you put it in drive its a slow jog. I looked in the manual and looked for like a transport lever and cant find it. there is no way guys are cutting at this speed saw on youtube any help at all many thanks already
Old 10-04-2013, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The transport lever has got a red circle around it in this picture. Turning it 180* one way engage's the reel and the drive drum, turning it the other way just engage's the drive drum. Those thing's do go fast, that's normal, you'll get used to it. Try easing the drive lever (by the handle) on slowly at the throttle's lowest setting.
Attached Images

Old 10-04-2013, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrostis View Post
The transport lever has got a red circle around it in this picture. Turning it 180* one way engage's the reel and the drive drum, turning it the other way just engage's the drive drum. Those thing's do go fast, that's normal, you'll get used to it. Try easing the drive lever (by the handle) on slowly at the throttle's lowest setting.
So when you want to slow down the mower you just lower the throttle ? But then do you get a bad cut? It just seems to me you would want the engine high and a slower gear
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-04-2013, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Lowering the throttle is the only control you have. I never noticed any quality of cut issue's at lower RPM's, don't let that worry you. The first time someone use's one they have the exact same reaction as you did. Like i said, you just got to get used to those mower's. Wait till you have to learn to turn those thing's while they are still moving. I saw a guy lose one while he was mowing green's, the mower went over a bulkhead 6 feet down into a lake, he stripped down to his underwear and dove in and drug that mower back out, in December. Remember those mower's weigh 205 Lbs.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:30 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Dumb question: you are removing the tires, right? I had my regular non-golf Toro distributor make a routine engine repair on my GM 1000 several years ago. The guy who worked on it is rather short legged and told me how he had to RUN behind it when he tested it and how afraid he was that he would lose control and break it worse. We still laugh about that when we see each other.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrostis View Post
Lowering the throttle is the only control you have. I never noticed any quality of cut issue's at lower RPM's, don't let that worry you. The first time someone use's one they have the exact same reaction as you did. Like i said, you just got to get used to those mower's. Wait till you have to learn to turn those thing's while they are still moving. I saw a guy lose one while he was mowing green's, the mower went over a bulkhead 6 feet down into a lake, he stripped down to his underwear and dove in and drug that mower back out, in December. Remember those mower's weigh 205 Lbs.
Good post. These greens mowers run fast. A brisk power walk. Learning to turn them is an art in itself but just takes practice. It took me about a week to be able to operate one with direct help from my super at the time. I was super sore for days until i figured out how to turn them
Old 10-22-2013, 07:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm glad i got a opportunity to retell that story, it has to be one of the funniest thing's i have ever seen. On the same golf course, i was walk mowing one winter morning on a practice green where half the green had a wooden bulkhead around it. I went to turn the mower and had one foot on the top of the bulkhead which was a 2x12 piece of treated lumber. There was frost on that piece of wood and when i went to turn my foot hit that frost and i went down, hard. The mower went half-way across the green and stopped when it fell over backward's and the throttle assembly dug into the green, it created a small trench about two inch's wide and fifteen feet long. I felt like i had been in car wreck, there was a big gouge in the green but the mower itself was just fine.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghopper3345 View Post
So when you want to slow down the mower you just lower the throttle ? But then do you get a bad cut? It just seems to me you would want the engine high and a slower gear
Posted via Mobile Device
No you don't. The clip rate or number of cuts per inch traveled is matched to the forward speed. Too much reel speed vs travel speed just fans the grass, leaving much of it not mowed. Conversely, not enough reel speed in relation to travel speed is not enough cuts per inch, leaving a washboard or corrugated grass surface. My Toro Greensmaster 1000 is the same way. To mow, I throw in the reel engagement clutch, then at low throttle, engage the main clutch. The engine speed is increased as needed. BTW, I use this mower on small-medium size residential lawns. At no time am I running behind this mower, the engine speed-travel speed is set such that I am walking at a deliberate pace and in no danger of losing control.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 10-23-2013, 02:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Nothing impressive about running a greensmower faster than it can be controlled. I about died when I looked up the list price for a GM 1000. Or is this like driving a 959 so fast that you end up straight into a tree? About 20 years ago, I did have a reel mower accident. Tru-Cut P20. Did not know that the drive clutch was to be partially engaged by just touching it with your finger. I pushed it all the way into the lock position. Mower took off on me, mowed a flower bed and stopped by hitting a wall.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738