Register free!

Old 10-16-2013, 10:20 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Hunter I-Core 2 wire and 2-wire in general

I am bidding on a system that I may use the 2-wire system. I am considering using a Hunter I-core with the 2-wire module. The reason I am considering 2 wire is while the initial system is not large it could potentially expand to a good size system. I've never worked with 2 wire so opinions on the Hunter and in general is appreciated. I've used the I-Core and like it so that is why I mention it.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

How large is this property?
Old 10-16-2013, 12:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
How tall am I?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-16-2013, 12:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Approx 6 acres. The 1st phase will only consist of 4 stations. From what I read the point where 2 wire is used is around 24 stations. This site could expand to around 20-30 stations but the main reason I want to use 2-wire is the ease of future expansion. Pro's & cons?
Old 10-16-2013, 02:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Cons are the necessity of 2-wire diagnostic skills, and the additional layer of electronics (field modules) that can fail, and the need for pristine wire connections.

Pros are the savings on wire.

One possible way to plan for the future, without committing one way or the other, is to pull extra pipe to use as a sleeve to contain present and future wire.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Cons are the necessity of 2-wire diagnostic skills, and the additional layer of electronics (field modules) that can fail, and the need for pristine wire connections.

Pros are the savings on wire.

One possible way to plan for the future, without committing one way or the other, is to pull extra pipe to use as a sleeve to contain present and future wire.
Pros of putting wire in conduit (pipe) is wire protection. Cons are the inability to detect faults with conventional fault finding equipment.

Fact is the wire path can be traced regardless.

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-16-2013, 02:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have 5 of the dual systems in operation. The four that I did work great. The other one has problems because the installer did not make the wire connections properly.

I have another site that is ongoing that is 14 acres and we have 3 I core duals with 3 submersible wells and 3000' of 2" mainline. We went with the dual because the site is actually 3 seperate lots owed by the same person and they don't have a plan for the whole place yet. With the dual we have lots of options anywhere on the property.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-16-2013, 02:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTurf View Post
Approx 6 acres. The 1st phase will only consist of 4 stations. From what I read the point where 2 wire is used is around 24 stations. This site could expand to around 20-30 stations but the main reason I want to use 2-wire is the ease of future expansion. Pro's & cons?
Easy system to used and install. Wire connections are the most important thing on this type of system and grounding (ground your controller too correctly), as with all 2-wire systems.

I would recommend the ICD-HP if you think you are going to do multiple Hunter 2-wire systems since it makes programming and testing easier without having to go to the controller and \ or if you want to be lazy \ more productive depending how you look at it.

We have installed multiple DUAL systems this year on residential and commercial properties ranging from 6 zones to 45 zones, and spec it on all properties that either: are over 18 zones, phased projects over multiple years, or have planned landscape \ hardscape expansions that will be occurring that will require major modifications to the irrigation system to make our lives easier.

We encounter many residential projects that are new construction that just need irrigation now for sod, but plan on changing their complete landscape within the next 1-3 years once they go through the full design process, etc., so it is the only logical choice since you can cut in at any place to add a decoder and there is your new zone.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:16 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have a couple of properties with them. like others have said be sure to use the correct connectors and put all connections in boxes. A lot of people really like the Tucor brand.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-20-2013, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Bear in mind the hunter I core can run both regular irrigation wire and 2 wire from the same clock. so you dont need to run 2 wire from the get go.
You can just run your first four stations like you always do.

Hunter has some good online training webinars for installing and working on their 2 wire, so by the time you get to the point where you need to start installing two-wire you are already trained.

My vote, put in the I core, do your 4 zones normally and look up hunter 2 wire training... it's a no brainer.

In the meantime keep an eye out for a tech who already has two wire skills, or find someone, maybe here int he forum, willing to come out to your site, and sub a job while you work with him, to get more comfortable with it.