Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-23-2013, 10:32 AM
LawnSite Member

Just did a demo on redmax 8500 yesterday. Was a really wet and windy day. Had no trouble blowing wet leaves and pin needles. Will be getting redmax soon. I wouldn't buy a stihl from the 2 dealers in my area. Service sucks and they told me they can only order parts when they have a large number of orders. But I could get it quicker if I wanted to pay the shipping. What a joke. Not only that got a stihl edger this spring and had to get it fixed after a month. Will never buy a kombi anything again. Sorry about the rant. But when I spend good money on equipment I want it to last. And if I need parts can't wait on dealer so they can save a buck on shipping.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwittbecker View Post
Just did a demo on redmax 8500 yesterday. Was a really wet and windy day. Had no trouble blowing wet leaves and pin needles. Will be getting redmax soon. I wouldn't buy a stihl from the 2 dealers in my area. Service sucks and they told me they can only order parts when they have a large number of orders. But I could get it quicker if I wanted to pay the shipping. What a joke. Not only that got a stihl edger this spring and had to get it fixed after a month. Will never buy a kombi anything again. Sorry about the rant. But when I spend good money on equipment I want it to last. And if I need parts can't wait on dealer so they can save a buck on shipping.

You hit on the perfect point. SERVICE. I actually like red max. I have a ebz7500 I keep as a back up. I use a br600. I think the br600 is about the most comfortable blower ever. Comparing it to my 7500 I would say a new ebz8500 would out perform the br600 but not by much. Noise level (if you care about that) then br600.

but the guy who sells red max in my area sucks and his business is going further under each year.

The stihl dealer in my area has ditched all other lines and only sells stihl now and never has equipment that was purchased from him in his shop for repair for more than a day. excellent service. If you needed your echo or red max serviced from the other guy your looking at 3 days minimum from what other lawn guys say.

So service and business longevity are a key factor in purchase decisions for comparable equipment.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:51 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The redmax would've been my choice. Huge air filter, good power, etc.
BUT, I can tell you from experience fixin' em', ya wanna use good oil, and obviously, good gas.
Couple a things ya wanna stay on top of is to periodically remove the air horn and tighten the carb mounting screws as the carb mounting gasket has a tendency to squish around and deteriorate. Also don't be scared to pull the muffler periodically and check/clean the cylinder exh. port, even if the spark screen looks clean.

Hey it ain't just stihl, a lot of dealers are charging shipping nowadays, they got rent/mortgages to pay etc., the trick is to find one that will work with ya.....

......AMF!
Old 10-23-2013, 11:11 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron mexico75 View Post
Just bought a 770 and should be here tomorrow afternoon. I'll let you know what I think of it. Of course if you do too much reading on here it would seem the 770 is an inferior weakling.
Well the 770 came in late Friday. I have used it a few times and wow, I'm impressed. It's a lot lighter than I was expecting. Very comfortable shoulder straps and they tighten from the top and bottom which helps it stay snug. Very quite too. I'd say my 12 or 13 year old echo which is MUCH less powerful is a lot louder. I always wear earplugs but I can say that not wearing them with the old blower hurts the ears. The new 770 just doesn't seem as loud. Just my opinion though.

Blows leaves and sticks with ease. Even had to blow a 100-125 yard long curb area with many wet grass clippings. Blew those with relative ease into 2 piles and raked them up later.

2 things.......the box on the outside said it came with a bottle of oil. I opened it up and did not see it. Called the company I bought it from and they said Echo stopped doing that. The bag with the parts and manual appeared to be factory sealed. Not a big deal but kind of cheap don't you think? The other thing is the anti static wire. I have never heard of this. The handle you grip has to be lined up over a sliver of metal imbedded in the tube and then from up in the blower a long metal wire just dangles inside the tube while blowing. Kind of weird and not sure why they have that besides the stated purpose of it being an "anti static wire."

It's still new but from the limited use it seems nice.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

They create static electricity especially when blowing In the dry season. Mine broke on my shindaiwa a few years back and now I get shocked sometimes. No big deal but that's why they put them there
Shindaiwa t-270, eb-630
Scag giant vac w/ 18 hp vanguard
Redmax 8500
Old 10-23-2013, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadcutter View Post
You hit on the perfect point. SERVICE. I actually like red max. I have a ebz7500 I keep as a back up. I use a br600. I think the br600 is about the most comfortable blower ever. Comparing it to my 7500 I would say a new ebz8500 would out perform the br600 but not by much. Noise level (if you care about that) then br600.

but the guy who sells red max in my area sucks and his business is going further under each year.

The stihl dealer in my area has ditched all other lines and only sells stihl now and never has equipment that was purchased from him in his shop for repair for more than a day. excellent service. If you needed your echo or red max serviced from the other guy your looking at 3 days minimum from what other lawn guys say.

So service and business longevity are a key factor in purchase decisions for comparable equipment.
A redmax ebz 8500 out performs a stihl br600 by a wide margin. Its not even close really.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-23-2013, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brosko View Post
A redmax ebz 8500 out performs a stihl br600 by a wide margin. Its not even close really.
Posted via Mobile Device
I'll try one some time but I doubt 11 cc's of motor power spread out over and out the diameter of a blower tube is going to produce a wide margin of difference. Its not like its a chain saw where all the power is transfered to a narrow spot.

I'm sure it's more powerful but it won't be enough of a difference to go to the sub standard dealer who sells them in my are. not to mention that goofy throttle design.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:16 AM
LawnSite Member

I agree not enough if no dealer support. That is very important, but the difference would suprise you. As far as pure blowing power (only) the 8500 is really in another class all by itself. I have owned and extensively used all of them. Also its not so much the cc's but the design (agressiveness) of the fan they turn.

Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by brosko; 10-24-2013 at 07:21 AM.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brosko View Post
I agree not enough if no dealer support. That is very important, but the difference would suprise you. As far as pure blowing power (only) the 8500 is really in another class all by itself. I have owned and extensively used all of them. Also its not so much the cc's but the design (agressiveness) of the fan they turn.

Posted via Mobile Device

I'll take your word for it.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just bought the redmax 8500 this morning. 596$ with tax. I like it so far, I had to go looking for something to blow earlier. It's been pouring rain all day here.
Shindaiwa t-270, eb-630
Scag giant vac w/ 18 hp vanguard
Redmax 8500