Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-20-2013, 04:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
To have an engine drive backpack with a hand piece capable of switching between a single tip and boom runs just shy of $1000. Again, why do people have no problems buying a rotary mower costing thousands, but a little less than that for good spray equipment is a problem? For me, a 10,000 sq ft lawn is done with the backpack, because I do not want to spend time removing contamination from my skid sprayer so it is safe for tree work. Now, if the lawn were over 1/2 acre, then it would be worth it. I set the tips and pressure to make the full tank cover 5000 sq ft per filling. Makes mixing easy.
I don't mind spending the cash on my mower because I make money with it, the gas drive bP would be for my personal lawn since I am not licensed and can not apply to other lawns for money. I was looking at the battery powered ones also little more affordable are they as effective though? I know battery powered products have come along way over the years
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-20-2013, 04:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Battery powered pumps do not like having solids run through them. I am talking about your favorites like Monunent, Celsius, etc. They are murder on the weeds and the pumps too. Anything that is not a clear, water based liquid like RoundUp or Three Way amine can be hard on them. The engine drive backpack pumps are constructed with stainless steel pistons, valves, and cylinder liners. If this is for your own use, it might be ok to get a Chinese copy of the Maruyama off of EBay or else buy the Hudson engine drive backpack. Still the same industrial design, but I am not so sure about availability of parts.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 10-20-2013, 04:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Battery powered pumps do not like having solids run through them. I am talking about your favorites like Monunent, Celsius, etc. They are murder on the weeds and the pumps too. Anything that is not a clear, water based liquid like RoundUp or Three Way amine can be hard on them. The engine drive backpack pumps are constructed with stainless steel pistons, valves, and cylinder liners. If this is for your own use, it might be ok to get a Chinese copy of the Maruyama off of EBay or else buy the Hudson engine drive backpack. Still the same industrial design, but I am not so sure about availability of parts.
I passed on a nice looking gas drive BP not to long ago on eBay. Greendoc when might one of your setups be ready for an upgrade and you let one of your fine followers catch a deal? We could guess that you probably take pretty good care of your stuff.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-21-2013, 01:30 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

You know, once a year piston seals and bearings are changed on my backpack sprayers. The engine wore out from my using it like heck since 2006 so that got replaced with a Honda GX 25. Only way for my stuff to go for sale is if I need to get out of the business. I cannot imagine an upgrade from what I have. No such thing as a Perma-Green or Z-Spray in my future. The entire island would have to be completely leveled, regraded, and the lots re divided so that this place looks more like suburban Florida.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 10-21-2013, 07:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

If it's only for your lawn I figure a pump style backpack would be just fine. Why you being lazy and trying to buy a motorized sprayer for 10K of lawn, lol
Old 10-21-2013, 12:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildstarblazer View Post
If it's only for your lawn I figure a pump style backpack would be just fine. Why you being lazy and trying to buy a motorized sprayer for 10K of lawn, lol
I like to have cool toys. I just cant quite justify a $700+ back sprayer at this time. Not saying I wont ever buy one, just right now it isn't feasable. I own an Echo MS-40BP sprayer. I works fine for what I do... It leave a little from the tip though. Do any of you have a design where I couild make one of those 3 tip boom sprayers, or is there somewhere I can just buy a direct bolt-on boom type sprayer? I seem to always hear that you are building your own.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

They make them for it but they won't get enough pressure by pumping to spray out strong enough. You would need a battery power or engine.
Old 10-21-2013, 01:04 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Keep in mine the max rate for celcius is two medium rate applications. Therefore if you think you may need to use it again next summer adjust the rate or select a different product.
Old 10-21-2013, 01:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildstarblazer View Post
i was going to say to have a cool toy..hell i am a home owner with a jr.. i bought it bc i can and it makes my life alot easier to do yard work..
Old 10-21-2013, 01:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
That is the sulfentrazone contained in the Dismiss or Blindside being absorbed too much through the crushed and bruised leaves. I do not get foot prints from using a hand held boom, but even with a full engine drive backpack, I am at 200 lbs. Feeding the boom from the skid sprayer has my foot print at much less.
I think I might look more at application technique, tank mix, and carrier volume than excessive absorption. Research has shown us that equipment traffic (even in excess of 5000 pounds) does very little to wound grass plants, even when turning, as long as the plants aren't ripped out of the ground. Aside from that, numerous studies hav ealso shown that herbicide uptake is decreased during plant wounding, not increased. The Dismiss label warns against applying to mechanically damaged turf because of the reduced recuperative ability, not because of increased uptake.

If you're seeing damage from sulfentrazone applications, check theses things:

1) Application technique and rate -- its easy to double or quadruple your desired application with just a small overlap

2) Tank mix -- any type of soluble fert or adjuvant in the tank will enhance the phytotoxicity response from sulfentrazone

3) Carrier volume -- Dismiss label specifies carrier volumes in LV applications to be no less than 0.5 gal/M. A lot of guys run 0.25 gal/M. That leaves a concentrated droplet on the leaf surface and can cause some damage.

I've seen thousands of sulfentrazone applications from ULV applicators and usualyl don't see any damage at all. The case I've seen the most is from improper mixing and application. I don't have to tell anyone here, but we all know how important that math calculation is when mixing and loading.