Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-16-2013, 01:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Most compact puller?

What would you guys say is the most compact puller? 1" mostly...today we are using a tx420 dingo to pull, it's nice, but it's really long...we haven't bought a puller yet because I wanted to test multiple machines to see which one we like...

Dingo can have several attachments and can get through a 36" gate...we also do landscaping

410 is prob the best machine for pulling, but it's very big

255 is another option, also nice to be able to bore as well
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-16-2013, 01:21 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Boxer makes more compact machines.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-16-2013, 01:41 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Where is boots with the piper pic?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-16-2013, 02:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah I had a feeling the pipe piper comment was coming...the boxer is fairly compact, but I hear the controls suck...we do have a good boxer dealer in town tho
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-16-2013, 02:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'd go for a dingo if you do landscaping
Great machine

I'm a 410 guy whe got started on a 255

I really wish we had a dingo at times during the tree season
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-16-2013, 04:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

don't forget Line Ward
Old 10-16-2013, 05:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

the little pipe pullers are prolly the most compact. least power (as i know)
255 is a waste of time.
410 is a very good dedicated machine (ive been bugging my boss to buy one for years)
the mini skids are very versatile. they multipurpose angle has a lot of advantages. if you do landscaping install work, and do not need a vibe plow everyday, this is prolly your best choice. we have one and it will pull as good as a 255 and maneuvers better. it does not like hard pack soil or 1.5" pipe. there have been quite a few time i have had to chain the mini skid to an excavator to get through the tough stuff.
so, in my opinion, the mini skids wins on light, work with varied use. as a dedicated machine, i like the 410, lm42, maxi-sneaker range of plows.

good luck
Old 10-16-2013, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

We use a dingo. Every install we go on we bring out the puller, trencher, posthole and bucket. When you have hard packed soil it is real nice to have the posthole for head locations, especially when your installing 12" spray bodies. It also works great to dig for valve boxes. Then filling and leveling if we tranches the site instead of pulling. I'm the first to admit I'm lazy, I'm one of the few who manage to put weight on during the install season, so if I can limit my time using a shovel/rake I will.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

great to hear from all sides...when i say dingo, i really mean mini skid in general...we did use a dingo today, and i do love the controls as i have used it many times before...i'm good with a dingo and comfortable...but like i said, it's very long, prob not any longer than a 410 tho...the ONE problem with mini skids is you have to buy the machine, then the vib plow, then the boring attachment/rods, then the trencher (if wanted/needed)...a good mini skid is in th $8000-12000 range, a used vib plow is $3000-4000, and i'm not sure on the rest...to be fully set up you will be in the 15-20,000 range...but you will have it for other uses too...a dedicated machine like a 255 or 410 already has a plow and boring set up and can have the machine for 6-12,000

in the middle of the day it dawned on me that with a dingo you basically back yourself into a corner, unlike a 255/410...but then i realized it's just reversed on the 255/410, so you start 4-8 feet away instead of end 4-8 feet away...

all in all, i'm leaning towards a mini skid set up...the dingo plowed very well today and went through some impressive roots...it def exceeded my expectations, and since we would need it for landscaping when we aren't installing irrigation, it sounds like the best fit
Old 10-18-2013, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

There's a bunch of odd ball ones..

We use The Vermeer LM 11.. We have 3 of them It's compact and perfect for residential.